Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Seeing lots of love for Matthews - I thought he was pretty average tonight with the exception of a couple great shifts. Still waiting for all the big boys to wake up.

This one was 100% Freddy

Reactions: Economist

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Matthews scoring that goal 90 seconds into the PP underscores how absolutely insane it is to have a weapon like that and consistently pull him off after 50-60 seconds only. Ovechkin plays most of the 2 minutes, and so do other players who are that dangerous. They can just have Matthews not be the one to carry the puck in or aggressively forecheck if they're worried about him getting gassed. All you need is for him to be there to be a shooting threat.

A novel concept could be to leave Matthews out with the second unit with Nylander, Barrie, Moore/Kappy, and Kerfoot. Matthews/Nylander can man the half boards.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Here are the goals by Matthews and JT

That's a wicked shot

Such a neat pass and a good finish by JT

Marner made a great play skating into the dropped stick just prior to that Matthews goal. Could it have been a penalty? Maybe, but it wasn’t called.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Too many penalties maybe but I'm not sure there was one that wasn't technically a penalty. A stick on the hands can be called every time.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I mean the guy is coming off a 47 goal season
I mean he just missed 7 games with a broken hand
I mean he's still playing with a broken hand
I mean he wins the game in overtime

But name me a play - what a joke

The only joke is his play so far

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Seeing lots of love for Matthews - I thought he was pretty average tonight with the exception of a couple great shifts. Still waiting for all the big boys to wake up.

This one was 100% Freddy

Personally, I think watching Kawhi Leonard, Sebastian Giovinco and Josh Donaldson win MVP’s has set my standards to high for Matthews. He’s clearly an elite goal scorer might even score 50 but he doesn’t take over a game like a top 5 player, doesn’t make plays for his team mates at an elite level and doesn’t win enough pucks along the boards. I may need to drop the expectations. He’s also only 22... it’s the contract setting the standards sky high

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Glad the Pens came back and beat the islanders.
It was 3-0, I thought it was game over.

I thought in the 2nd period should have invested in the Islander. 3-0 in the 3rd, it's game over.

Then 3-2, huh, getting interesting . . . but the Leafs game got interesting . . . Leafs win!

Check the scores . . . haha they choked it, they choke the chicken and the Penguin tied 3-3 then 4-3 Pens in OT.

Choke it good!

:dunce:

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Marner made a great play skating into the dropped stick just prior to that Matthews goal. Could it have been a penalty? Maybe, but it wasn’t called.

Nevermind Marner kicking a stick out of the way. Did you see Matthews hit for the cycle on that one? The fact that all parties involved were capable of adapting to his movement spoke volumes. JT to flank for bumper, Rielly to flank for point, Marner to point for flank. Matthews then goes around the net and gets a pass and 1 shot, 2 shot goal.

Thats agility of mind. The PP would do well to adopt it.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
3fnea8.jpg

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

This one was 100% Freddy
No doubt, but Andersen is a part of the team and he’s allowed to bail them out.
Also Rielly wasn’t stumbling and bumbling around out there like he’s done most games.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Freddy going November beast mode again. Thats like 5 decent to elite starts in a row.

Team save% up to 17th overall but still 24th 5v5. Shows how bad early October was.

Sucks Hyman not coming back sooner but I'd rather he be fully healed before jumping in. His style of play is very physical and we dont need him taking himself out.

Reactions: Menzinger

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nevermind Marner kicking a stick out of the way. Did you see Matthews hit for the cycle on that one? The fact that all parties involved were capable of adapting to his movement spoke volumes. JT to flank for bumper, Rielly to flank for point, Marner to point for flank. Matthews then goes around the net and gets a pass and 1 shot, 2 shot goal.

Thats agility of mind. The PP would do well to adopt it.

I noticed that. I also notice the actually had sense enough to pick on the defender without the stick .....which really really surprised me.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Freddy going November beast mode again. Thats like 5 decent to elite starts in a row.

Team save% up to 17th overall but still 24th 5v5. Shows how bad early October was.

Sucks Hyman not coming back sooner but I'd rather he be fully healed before jumping in. His style of play is very physical and we dont need him taking himself out.

As Andersen continues to play like this most criticisms of the entire team/coach will soften in coming days

Reactions: Ciao and Gallagbi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille