Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Why do you and the gals you work with think they approved the three games against Montreal? Why did Minny approve their schedule? Do y’all think they made some other concessions?

GMs don't get to pick the schedule. The Leafs have shown a preference for Tues/Thurs/Sat night @7pm my entire life and are majority owned by Bell & Rogers. Blaming Dubas for the schedule is a thanks Obama meme.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Got an assist on the Matthews goal.

I hope you actually saw that play. He flailed his stick at the puck and Matthews came down and scooped it up, skated back up, then proceeded to score. Not even sure if he touched it tbh.

And an 11M dollar player showing up looks a lot more like Matthews tonight.

Someone dig me up a clip of JT doing something in the first 60, please.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2019-11-7_21-14-48.jpeg

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I hope you actually saw that play. He flailed his stick at the puck and Matthews came down and scooped it up, skated back up, then proceeded to score. Not even sure if he touched it tbh.

And an 11M dollar player showing up looks a lot more like Matthews tonight.

Someone dig me up a clip of JT doing something in the first 60, please.
He did get the assist.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
after all the hype with this team, it just hasn't panned out. Just another year of disappointment from these young, lazy, entitled players who won't play for their coach or their fans. Either a few of them have to go, or the coach has to go - but somebody has to---

--oh wait --- we won tonight???

this team is really starting to gel! I'm liking what I'm seeing from our top stars, they're showing their worth more and more every night. Our top guns are starting to deliver at the right times. Looks like we have some exciting hockey ahead and if they keep this up, the playoffs are a guarantee and maybe even a few rounds this time!

It was funny the first time (after the LA game the night before last), but it does grow old.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
GMs don't get to pick the schedule. The Leafs have shown a preference for Tues/Thurs/Sat night @7pm my entire life and are majority owned by Bell & Rogers. Blaming Dubas for the schedule is a thanks Obama meme.
Ken Dryden said they confronted the league over all the Wednesday night starts. The Leafs did not like the back to backs revolving around midweek games.

Apparently the league thought the Leafs wanted those games for Wednesday-night broadcast purposes, and the following season switched to the current Tuesday Thursday Saturday template at the Leafs request.

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Mathews comments after the game..
Another dig into the coaching game plans ?

“We were a bit stagnant [on the power play],” Matthews explained afterwards. “So in the third, I pretty much said, 'what do we have to lose? Let's move around, let's get their penalty kill thinking more.’ And I thought we did a really good job, having different guys going into different areas and just reacting and playing off our instincts. Not just drawing up plays but reacting off one another and then using each other and making plays to spread them out a little bit and we were able to score.”

drawing up plays wtf
Enough , no wonder
Hockey is free flowing
It’s not football

Reactions: IPS

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Media, run it.
Interesting though
Big Mike B just said in his presser that he said for everyone to start having fun on the Pp and then this paraphrasing “ doing the things we are supposed to do “
Doesn’t sound like they did the things they were supposed to do ? According to AM
Very interesting , both saying two different things ?
They’ve had it with this structured approach that doesn’t match their talent and skill and free flowing style

Reactions: stickty111 and IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting though
Big Mike B just said in his presser that he said for everyone to start having fun on the Pp and then this paraphrasing “ doing the things we are supposed to do “
Doesn’t sound like they did the things they were supposed to do ? According to AM
Very interesting , both saying two different things ?
They’ve had it with this structured approach that doesn’t match their talent and skill and free flowing style

Wow, truly funny how this all works out.

But so true, Babcock has them dead-set on making a few set plays work and all it does is destroy the creativity of our stars. This whole "having fun" ideology needs to stay from now on. I think these boys are indeed fed up with the structured approach.

Babcock, seriously my man, you need to actually listen to the input of theses players. Just for once let these players have a say in how things should be done, it saved our asses tonight.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Wow, truly funny how this all works out.

But so true, Babcock has them dead-set on making a few set plays work and all it does is destroy the creativity of our stars. This whole "having fun" ideology needs to stay from now on. I think these boys are indeed fed up with the structured approach.

Babcock, seriously my man, you need to actually listen to the input of theses players. Just for once let these players have a say in how things should be done, it saved our asses tonight.
I really think this is just the tip of the iceberg , it’s more and more apparent that there is a great divide ...
Stay tuned

Reactions: stickty111 and IPS

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Decent win, but man our PP should almost be a guarenteed goal how on earth is it so bad

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ian Tulluch on the coaching staff in this game.

It boggles my mind that a team as talented as Toronto can play in such boring games. I understand the desire to tighten things up defensively, but that doesn’t need to come at the expense of leaning into your strengths (playing with pace, activating your D off the breakout, counter-attacking off the rush). We didn’t see any of that from Toronto in this game (until Matthews decided to singlehandedly take over every shift in the third). Watching how Barrie has been used this year, the team’s current style of play doesn’t seem like a way to get the most out of a roster predicated on speed and skill.
Another quick thing: Dermott plays incredibly in his last game, and his reward? Eight minutes and forty-five seconds of ice time. I’m not sure what the issue is here, but someone needs to give this guy more minutes.

The frustrating part is the coaching staff seems to be pulling them in the other direction (trying to tighten things up defensively, but it’s been coming at the expense of offence). Now, I completely understand the desire to address the Leafs’ defensive issues, but if you’re neutering your team’s offence to accomplish it, that’s not exactly fixing things.
The Leafs need to find a way to extract the most value out of their roster, and they’re not going to achieve that by playing like the Minnesota Wild. This is a team built on speed and skill. If the coaching staff can’t find a way to lean into those strengths (like they did in March and April last season), they might not be around much longer.

He's right. Looking to improve defensively is nice, but we are not winning with this style in the playoffs. This roster just isn't suited for it.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Why do Johnsson Rielly and Kerfoot take so many penalties? Are they lazy players?

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Good win!

PP needs to play way more flexible. And Barrie should be on PP1 instead of Rielly, they need another scoring thread.

Speaking of Rielly ... it's time to watch some videos of Holl and Dermott, Muzzin. He's playing way to loose in transition and his own end. This must change. He has the capability, but he isn't 20 anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad