Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Ian Tulluch on the coaching staff in this game.

It boggles my mind that a team as talented as Toronto can play in such boring games. I understand the desire to tighten things up defensively, but that doesn’t need to come at the expense of leaning into your strengths (playing with pace, activating your D off the breakout, counter-attacking off the rush). We didn’t see any of that from Toronto in this game (until Matthews decided to singlehandedly take over every shift in the third). Watching how Barrie has been used this year, the team’s current style of play doesn’t seem like a way to get the most out of a roster predicated on speed and skill.
Another quick thing: Dermott plays incredibly in his last game, and his reward? Eight minutes and forty-five seconds of ice time. I’m not sure what the issue is here, but someone needs to give this guy more minutes.

The frustrating part is the coaching staff seems to be pulling them in the other direction (trying to tighten things up defensively, but it’s been coming at the expense of offence). Now, I completely understand the desire to address the Leafs’ defensive issues, but if you’re neutering your team’s offence to accomplish it, that’s not exactly fixing things.
The Leafs need to find a way to extract the most value out of their roster, and they’re not going to achieve that by playing like the Minnesota Wild. This is a team built on speed and skill. If the coaching staff can’t find a way to lean into those strengths (like they did in March and April last season), they might not be around much longer.

He's right. Looking to improve defensively is nice, but we are not winning with this style in the playoffs. This roster just isn't suited for it.

Oh Ian Tulluch says so..but we all really want to know what Jeffler has to say about this.

Reactions: rumman

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Three wins in a row is always good, Andersen is great and Matthews is showing signs of playing the way we need him to play.

The big picture still isn't pretty, the PP is an embarrassment and we still haven't beat a good team in regulation this season. It'll happen one of these days I guess.

This is a good assessment. Alos, good defence leads to offence. Once these guys committ to this, the goals will start coming.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Most importantly the team needs to get hot "at the right time"

That's true enough. On on hand I feel like the regular season means very little (other than making sure we make the playoffs) and there's no question that I will judge this team based on how they do in the playoffs, period. On the other hand, I look at all the talent on this team and sometimes think, why can't we just play consistently well? I really thought we could dominate and battle for 1st overall this season and then carry that into the playoffs and instead, we're well, let's say less than impressive. I don't want to be too critical and yeah yeah, there are some legit excuses I guess for being less than awesome but still, not gonna lie, I'm frustrated, I wanted (and still want) more. Especially that PP, I remember so well the beginning of last season when it seemed like we were scoring at will and I though yeah baby, we're so stacked with talent, this is gonna be one the best PP's in NHL history and then ... I have no idea WTF happened.

I really hope they get it together at some point in the next couple of years. This team has the potential to bring home the cup but it also has the potential to the most disappointing Maple Leaf team I've ever seen. We'll see ...

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
This is a good assessment. Alos, good defence leads to offence. Once these guys committ to this, the goals will start coming.
I have the feeling that if they can start to limit the goals against and master winning low-scoring games, the rest will fall into place pretty easily.

The last two one-goal against games are hopefully a good start.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's true enough. On on hand I feel like the regular season means very little (other than making sure we make the playoffs) and there's no question that I will judge this team based on how they do in the playoffs, period. On the other hand, I look at all the talent on this team and sometimes think, why can't we just play consistently well? I really thought we could dominate and battle for 1st overall this season and then carry that into the playoffs and instead, we're well, let's say less than impressive. I don't want to be too critical and yeah yeah, there are some legit excuses I guess for being less than awesome but still, not gonna lie, I'm frustrated, I wanted (and still want) more. Especially that PP, I remember so well the beginning of last season when it seemed like we were scoring at will and I though yeah baby, we're so stacked with talent, this is gonna be one the best PP's in NHL history and then ... I have no idea WTF happened.

I really hope they get it together at some point in the next couple of years. This team has the potential to bring home the cup but it also has the potential to the most disappointing Maple Leaf team I've ever seen. We'll see ...
I'm the same really, I think we all are, that's why we are fans.
For me I have tempered my expectation, because almost every team I've like and thought was going to dominate, leafs and non leafs teams, took years to figure it out.
Our core is so young and figuring it out. Those comments from Matthews about the pp is a ray of hope for me that they are figuring it out now.
I would rather a season where they struggle and then push hard to finish high in the standings in the latter half of the season, ala what the B's did a couple years ago or St. Louis last year, than dominate the league and fizzle, ala TB

Reactions: GoonieFace

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
I have the feeling that if they can start to limit the goals against and master winning low-scoring games, the rest will fall into place pretty easily.

I don't think so. We continue to give up a lot of Grade A chances.
Last night Vegas had a lot of good looks including a couple of rushes in the dying minutes.

Last two games are classic Freddy - stealing a game or two in November.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm the same really, I think we all are, that's why we are fans.
For me I have tempered my expectation, because almost every team I've like and thought was going to dominate, leafs and non leafs teams, took years to figure it out.
Our core is so young and figuring it out. Those comments from Matthews about the pp is a ray of hope for me that they are figuring it out now.

Yeah I get that but still, Chicago figured it out quickly so it can be done and that's definitely the kind of learning curve I was hoping for. Why do some teams figure it out in a couple of years and others take a decade? What is it that we're missing? Or is this still maybe the year when we put it all together?

Rhetorical questions, never mind. :laugh::laugh:

I would rather a season where they struggle and then push hard to finish high in the standings in the latter half of the season, ala what the B's did a couple years ago or St. Louis last year, than dominate the league and fizzle, ala TB

No argument from me. I still think why not both but absolutely, kill it in the playoffs and I'll forget about our failures in the regular season almost instantly.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah I get that but still, Chicago figured it out quickly so it can be done and that's definitely the kind of learning curve I was hoping for. Why do some teams figure it out in a couple of years and others take a decade? What is it that we're missing? Or is this still maybe the year when we put it all together?

Rhetorical questions, never mind. :laugh::laugh:

No argument from me. I still think why not both but absolutely, kill it in the playoffs and I'll forget about our failures in the regular season almost instantly.
How many presidents trophy winners won the cup? I can only think of a handful of times that's happened. Precedence is against having both haha

I've wonder why some teams do it right away and others don't. My thoughts are that those that got it right away had a good blend to begin with, then added that drop of magic.
I mean the hawks struggled for a long time too, so did they immediately figure it out? Hmmm I guess that is also relative. I would think the hawks fans were thinking it's about time?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How many presidents trophy winners won the cup? I can only think of a handful of times that's happened. Precedence is against having both haha

I've wonder why some teams do it right away and others don't. My thoughts are that those that got it right away had a good blend to begin with, then added that drop of magic.
I mean the hawks struggled for a long time too, so did they immediately figure it out? Hmmm I guess that is also relative. I would think the hawks fans were thinking it's about time?

I think the most common path is to first excel in the regular season, then fail in the playoffs, learn from it and win the cup at some point down the road. You don't have to be first overall I guess, not sure if our 6-7th and 7th-9th finishes are good enough to qualify for that path, we'll see.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Matthews scoring that goal 90 seconds into the PP underscores how absolutely insane it is to have a weapon like that and consistently pull him off after 50-60 seconds only. Ovechkin plays most of the 2 minutes, and so do other players who are that dangerous. They can just have Matthews not be the one to carry the puck in or aggressively forecheck if they're worried about him getting gassed. All you need is for him to be there to be a shooting threat.
90 seconds may be a bit of a stretch, but to me, put nylander out instead of johnsson and jt back as net front. and let the top line play 1:20 every powerplay. If they stay out for longer, so be it

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I think the most common path is to first excel in the regular season, then fail in the playoffs, learn from it and win the cup at some point down the road. You don't have to be first overall I guess, not sure if our 6-7th and 7th-9th finishes are good enough to qualify for that path, we'll see.
See Washington for further details

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Well we are on that path seemingly
As much as I hate him Ovi said it well when he said the leafs have to figure out how to play for post season success

Reactions: 67leafs

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Well we are on that path seemingly
As much as I hate him Ovi said it well when he said the leafs have to figure out how to play for post season success

I found his statement puzzling myself with full memory of Washington's run that year.

Have your starting goalie flame out down the stretch and then lose his job to the backup. Then lose both games at home in the first round which forces the coach to do a hail mary switchup back to Holtby who is then goes all world the rest of the series/playoffs and inspires the team to pick up their play as well which they obviously do when your keeper is stopping everything.

I mean, itd be fun to see that happen and all but I just think the "have the better goalkeeper" argument works better than what he said to describe their run that year. I really would have given Holtby the MVP that run. I dont think they get out of the first round without him.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

This is what I think Babcock is really trying to drive home. The low scoring games are what the playoffs are all about.

The top teams excel at remaining patient and winning these almost universally.
To date, this rendition of the leafs gets nervous and plays a run and gun style that hasn’t worked.

that’s not to say don’t try something offensively, but be patient and pick your spots.

Reactions: ACC1224

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I found his statement puzzling myself with full memory of Washington's run that year.

Have your starting goalie flame out down the stretch and then lose his job to the backup. Then lose both games at home in the first round which forces the coach to do a hail mary switchup back to Holtby who is then goes all world the rest of the series/playoffs and inspires the team to pick up their play as well which they obviously do when your keeper is stopping everything.

I mean, itd be fun to see that happen and all but I just think the "have the better goalkeeper" argument works better than what he said to describe their run that year. I really would have given Holtby the MVP that run. I dont think they get out of the first round without him.
I took his comments to be about the years the team would do well in the regular season then flame out in the post season and how they had to learn how to play a post season style of hockey and not specifically that year, but I could be wrong.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That was KING Freddy last night. If he plays like that in playoffs, which we will need him to do, then we might do it this year. To me the whole playoffs will rest on his big shoulders.

Matty decided he would own this game. Not quite sure what drives him and how he picks the games he wants to dominate but last night was a great decision on his part.

Tavares is starting to round back into game shape. This I expected. His play was shaky but he made in count when it truly mattered. Well done captain.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yep.

The first game of the season he was flying and all over the place, it's obvious the team is telling him to scale it back, which is pathetic.
We won't get any value from him if we make him play like that all year. I thought this was a Babs thing though I missed quite few games at start on vacation. His value is in his ability to skate with puck and make plays and score too. If Babs tries to make him a stay at home guy he will only look bad because he is small and not physical and his outlet pass game is ok but not great.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Yep.

The first game of the season he was flying and all over the place, it's obvious the team is telling him to scale it back, which is pathetic.

Yes... that makes a lot of sense...

The team is asking Barrie to scale it back, while letting Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Ceci frequently jump up! That must be happening!!! :rolleyes:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Bear in mind most of the Chicago team were veterans with many years experience. The two top pieces were almost final add ons. We are very different in that we have a lot of pieces still learning combined with many newer players. Only Rielly has been here more than 3 seasons.

Reactions: Gary Nylund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad