Proposal: Leafs-Wild Blockbuster Idea

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Kadri is a solid #2 centre who plays in the #3 slot, he has a great team friendly contract, he adds depth down the middle, he isn't going anywhere.

Kapanen is a clutch god with insane speed and a gritty style to his game, he also is going nowhere.

Brutal trade for the Leafs here.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No good for the wild imo, I don’t think it’s crazy bad though

They get younger, but a little more expensive.

Value wise

Spurgeon >>> Zaitsev
Kadri > E. Staal
Kapanen > Greenway
Kadri
2018-19 15g, 20, 35 pts.
2017-18 32g, 23a, 55pts.
2016-17 32g, 29a 61 pts.
nice numbers.

Staal
2018-19 17g, 20 a, 37 pts.
2017-18 42g, 34 a, 76pts.
2016-17 28g. 37a, 65pts.

nicer numbers

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fills 2 needs for Wild in a Top 6 C and young RHS F. But we lose best player in deal and get poor value for Greenway and Staal.

FWIW, Greenway is going to be really good. He is a unique player who is going to take time, but he will ve a big part of Wilds retool.
I'll take the 29yo RHD(who shows no sign of slowing, btw) who is playing better than ever over a 29yo forward who is showing signs of decline.

member 147413

Kadri
2018-19 15g, 20, 35 pts.
2017-18 32g, 23a, 55pts.
2016-17 32g, 29a 61 pts.
nice numbers.

Staal
2018-19 17g, 20 a, 37 pts.
2017-18 42g, 34 a, 76pts.
2016-17 28g. 37a, 65pts.

nicer numbers
I said value wise.

Staal is a UFA and 6 years older.

Reactions: phillipmike

dayner

May 23, 2017
Spurgeon ~ Kadri. I would do 1 for 1
Greenway ~ Kapanen. I would do 1 for 1 tho there is no point to it
Sooooo Zaitsev for Staal........Awesome......

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I wouldn’t even do this deal if you took the cap dump out. This is awful.
It's not great for the leafs either. Kapanen and Kadri wont be traded together. If kap/kadri are being traded we would be getting a younger defender with more term than spurgeon. We have no need for Staal and as he walks in f/a we are left without a 3C. Zaitsev is a bad piece and greenway is nice but leafs dont become a better team long term with this deal. The leafs should be targetting a Kadri+Bracco deal for Pesce+Wallmark from the canes.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Spurgeon ~ Kadri. I would do 1 for 1
Greenway ~ Kapanen. I would do 1 for 1 tho there is no point to it
Sooooo Zaitsev for Staal........Awesome......
Greenway for Kap is a downgrade, kadri for Spurgeon is a downgrade. Leafs lose out on both those deals. Kadri is signed for 3 more years at 4.5 while Spurgeon has one year left after this at 5.2.Zaitsev for Staal is bad value for the Wild but the leafs lose out on the other two deals.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No, he most certainly could not.

Holy ****
Kap wont be traded for spurgeon. Spurgeon is signed for one more year and the a ufa. His value is less than a cost controlled Kapanen. Spurgeon wont bring back much more than muzzin. Max I would offer for him is 20201st+Bracco+2020 2nd. Similar to the price leafs paid for Muzzin (2019 1st, grundstromk(bracco), durzi(was a 2nd round pick). Spurgeon is too old and signed for too little term ti bring back a roster player from the leafs.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Kap wont be traded for spurgeon. Spurgeon is signed for one more year and the a ufa. His value is less than a cost controlled Kapanen. Spurgeon wont bring back much more than muzzin. Max I would offer for him is 20201st+Bracco+2020 2nd. Similar to the price leafs paid for Muzzin (2019 1st, grundstromk(bracco), durzi(was a 2nd round pick). Spurgeon is too old and signed for too little term ti bring back a roster player from the leafs.
And of course that should be declined by Minnesota.

As it stands the only reason to move Spurgeon is for a young center, which isn't something Toronto is likely to offer. We can all look forward to reading this same argument next week when we get our weekly Spurgeon to Toronto thread.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
By the end of next season we would probably just have Greenway to show for this, which is disgusting, because potential is great and all but he has an outside shot at being as good as either of the forwards we give up going forward and precisely no chance at it this year or the next, which the other two parts of the deal are going all in for. Its just such a bizarre contradiction, this is at best a lateral move today and an absolute ****ing disaster going forward.

I was pretty sure the Leafs would be fleecing the Wild here before I opened the thread but this is just brutal. Kadri should not be on the block. Period. He is one of our only good contracts. If you're going to trade Kadri or Kap(who I'm not nearly as high on as other Leaf fans but still is considerably more valuably than an unproven propsect) just trade one, this move destroys our forward depth for a good prospect still unproven compared to the other pieces in this trade, a rental Eric Stall(a role he bombed hard in before) and a good defencman who would likely be sticking around the same time period as Muzzin.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
And of course that should be declined by Minnesota.

As it stands the only reason to move Spurgeon is for a young center, which isn't something Toronto is likely to offer. We can all look forward to reading this same argument next week when we get our weekly Spurgeon to Toronto thread.

It just doesnt make sense for the wild to expect getting back a young center for a player in spurgeons situation. Look at the returns muzzin, mcdonagh, karlsson, hamonic, hamilton(1st trade) brought back. They all got picks and prospects with not many getting young quality nhl players. Obviously 2 of them were more valuable and harmonic was a lesser player but still it's a pattern that older defenders with only 1 year left on their deal dont bring back a young top 6 center or young top 6 wingers. The only defenders who I can recall being traded recently in a 1 for 1 were Seth Jones, Sergachev, and Larsson These three were highly touted defenders with plenty of cost controlled years left and had potential to grow(and the Larsson deal was a failure on Chia's part). Spurgeon isnt in that position. If the wild can find a way to get that type of value than kudos to them, but the leafs wont be breaking the trend and paying a kings ransom for Spurgeon

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It just doesnt make sense for the wild to expect getting back a young center for a player in spurgeons situation. Look at the returns muzzin, mcdonagh, karlsson, hamonic, hamilton(1st trade) brought back. They all got picks and prospects with not many getting young quality nhl players. Obviously 2 of them were more valuable and harmonic was a lesser player but still it's a pattern that older defenders with only 1 year left on their deal dont bring back a young top 6 center or young top 6 wingers. The only defenders who I can recall being traded recently in a 1 for 1 were Seth Jones, Sergachev, and Larsson These three were highly touted defenders with plenty of cost controlled years left and had potential to grow(and the Larsson deal was a failure on Chia's part). Spurgeon isnt in that position. If the wild can find a way to get that type of value than kudos to them, but the leafs wont be breaking the trend and paying a kings ransom for Spurgeon
Then why would the Wild trade him?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Can we stop adding Zaitsev to things? It’s making us leafs fans look really bad.

If Zaitsev gets traded, it will be Zaitsev + Prospect for Pick, that’s it

He is like the Kulemon of 2012 or thereabouts . With a Cody Franson sweetener if needed of course . Time sure does fly . Good for you though calling out your brothers and sisters and for that you get a likely like

Reactions: Big Sugar

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Then why would the Wild trade him?

Are their not reports the wilds are looking to enter a rebuild? If so then it makes sens to get picks and prospects for him as he could potentially walk as a UFA. If the wild believe they can quickly complete a retool than they shouldnt sell him and lock him up to a new deal. He is a great player to have just dont see how him approaching 30 years with only one season left would bring back young top6 center/winger.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Are their not reports the wilds are looking to enter a rebuild? If so then it makes sens to get picks and prospects for him as he could potentially walk as a UFA. If the wild believe they can quickly complete a retool than they shouldnt sell him and lock him up to a new deal. He is a great player to have just dont see how him approaching 30 years with only one season left would bring back young top6 center/winger.
No, there aren't. There are reports that the GM has the "green light" from ownership to do whatever he wants, which is interesting but not as groundbreaking as some have made it out to be.

I think Fenton has a real dilemma to solve with this team and I think he's (rightfully) given up on competing this year. Selling off players like Spurgeon for draft picks doesn't seem like it'll do a lot of good though. If we need late 2020 1sts and Bracco-caliber prospects there are probably better ways to go about that.

Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No, there aren't. There are reports that the GM has the "green light" from ownership to do whatever he wants, which is interesting but not as groundbreaking as some have made it out to be.

I think Fenton has a real dilemma to solve with this team and I think he's (rightfully) given up on competing this year. Selling off players like Spurgeon for draft picks doesn't seem like it'll do a lot of good though. If we need late 2020 1sts and Bracco-caliber prospects there are probably better ways to go about that.
That's fair, will be a interesting offseason for you guys. Not sure on your cap situation but could you find a way to fit a panarin/stone/duchene type UFA or trade for a Hoffman in the offseason to bolster the offense.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's fair, will be a interesting offseason for you guys. Not sure on your cap situation but could you find a way to fit a panarin/stone/duchene type UFA or trade for a Hoffman in the offseason to bolster the offense.
I think free agency might be a bigger part of Fenton's plans than I'd considered until recently. We'll have to see what sort of space he makes between now and then, though.

Reactions: hamzarocks

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
It would be nice to get out of the Zaitsev contract but no chance the leafs would use Kapanen or Kadri to do it

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
You obviously don't know about Spurgeon, so why say anything? He is a superb defender, as well as being a capable offensive player.

Oh, and this trade is bad value for the Wild.
Yeah I do know about spurgeon, and he doesn’t have the size we need to clear a power forward from infront of the net. That’s a big factor for the playoffs. So if you don’t know what the leafs need, why say anything?

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
No wouldn’t touch it, Spurdeon isn’t the type of guy we need, Kadri and Kapanen are too important to give up, If We trade Kadri it’s gotta be for a shut down dman, and if Staal wants to be a leaf he can sign in the off season

Just stop. Admit you don't know the player and move on.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah I do know about spurgeon, and he doesn’t have the size we need to clear a power forward from infront of the net. That’s a big factor for the playoffs. So if you don’t know what the leafs need, why say anything?
If you just need someone to shove guys away from the net you can have Pateryn for a 3rd.

Reactions: minisharkpanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad