Proposal: Leafs-Wild Blockbuster Idea

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So the Wild are taking a cap dump AND give you one of our top prospects? GTFOH

Kadri is the key here and I would take this deal, although parting with Greenway would be the kicker, if the Wild believe that his upside is very attainable then they might hold back.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Your valuations are off. Kadri has more value with three years left on his contract. He's shown he can be a 30 goal 2C in the right situation. Kapanen is and will be better than Greenway. Greenway has value because he's a power forward but Kapanen brings much more to the table.

At Greenway's age/year Kapanen was a 9 goal, 11 point player.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
And also, who does Kapanen play with most of the time in terms of line mates? Let’s ignore that fact too eh?

Also ignore the fact that not all wingers that play with Matthews excel. I still take the upside of Kapanen who is one of the fastest players in the league, has a great shot, is a good PKer and has a history of scoring big goals.

Reactions: Atomos2

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
AGAIN, Leafs trying to offload that boatload contract AND still think they can get anythign valuable coming the other way!

GL with that! Zaitsev will be traded if Liljegren or Sandin is also coming int he deal, and no other way!

You can keep saying this all you want but that doesn't magically make it true. He's got next to no value sure I agree, but if you think they'd need to give up an asset like that to dump him you're beyond delusional. The guy makes 4.5M, not 7M and be plays 20+ minutes a night. He's still a serviceable player that I have no doubt would not be difficult to unload.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You can keep saying this all you want but that doesn't magically make it true. He's got next to no value sure I agree, but if you think they'd need to give up an asset like that to dump him you're beyond delusional. The guy makes 4.5M, not 7M and be plays 20+ minutes a night. He's still a serviceable player that I have no doubt would not be difficult to unload.

Come on bro.

Jamie Benn plays 20min a night in MTL, does that make him a good D-man? TOI doesn't do shit... Guy sucks, and is paid like a top3 D-man while giving #6-7 performance night in and night out. No one will give anythign of value for a guy like that. Leafs woN,t be able to onload him w/out severe add on your side.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Come on bro.

Jamie Benn plays 20min a night in MTL, does that make him a good D-man? TOI doesn't do ****... Guy sucks, and is paid like a top3 D-man while giving #6-7 performance night in and night out. No one will give anythign of value for a guy like that. Leafs woN,t be able to onload him w/out severe add on your side.

Nobody said he's fetching anything of value. Not sure where you're getting that from. But to think they'd need to add a top prospect like Sandin or Liljegren just to dump him is ridiculous. That's just not realistic.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Come on bro.

Jamie Benn plays 20min a night in MTL, does that make him a good D-man? TOI doesn't do ****... Guy sucks, and is paid like a top3 D-man while giving #6-7 performance night in and night out. No one will give anythign of value for a guy like that. Leafs woN,t be able to onload him w/out severe add on your side.
You cannot just assume that. We were able to move Phaneuf, whose contract was twice as bad as Zaitsev's is, without adding any blue-chips. We actually got value back for the deal. You cannot honestly say that Phaneuf was too much better than Zaitsev, or at least that Phaneuf's contract was more worth it than Zaitsev's is.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You cannot just assume that. We were able to move Phaneuf, whose contract was twice as bad as Zaitsev's is, without adding any blue-chips. We actually got value back for the deal. You cannot honestly say that Phaneuf was too much better than Zaitsev, or at least that Phaneuf's contract was more worth it than Zaitsev's is.

Phaneuf had a certain pedigree coming w/ him.

Zaitsev has nothing.

Cap trade have also changed since the Leafs traded Phaneuf back in 2016 ( 3 years ago)

we've seen other cap deal trade W/ WAY betetr contract where teams had to lose good young players (Armia, Teravainen, Datsyuk trade where DET traded down in the draft)...

Unless he's packaged w/ a good young piece or a good pick (Leafs do not have one of these until next year so not worth it for other GMs), it won't happen!

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Phaneuf had a certain pedigree coming w/ him.

Zaitsev has nothing.

Cap trade have also changed since the Leafs traded Phaneuf back in 2016 ( 3 years ago)

we've seen other cap deal trade W/ WAY betetr contract where teams had to lose good young players (Armia, Teravainen, Datsyuk trade where DET traded down in the draft)...

Unless he's packaged w/ a good young piece or a good pick (Leafs do not have one of these until next year so not worth it for other GMs), it won't happen!
All those above trades were pure cap dumps...have you ever considered the idea that other teams are interested in Zaitsev? Or that the Leafs could retain some of Zaitsev's salary? I agree that it will be tough to move his contract but saying that it's impossible to trade him without adding a blue chip isn't thinking straight.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
All those above trades were pure cap dumps...have you ever considered the idea that other teams are interested in Zaitsev? Or that the Leafs could retain some of Zaitsev's salary? I agree that it will be tough to move his contract but saying that it's impossible to trade him without adding a blue chip isn't thinking straight.
Zaitsev is the difinition of a cap dump...

His metrics and stats have him piicured as a bottom pairing D / #6... But he's paid @ 4.5M

Very similar to Andrew McDonald if you ask me. So, the answer is no, I do not believe he's worth anything to anyone, and Leafs would need to retain at least 2M$ for a team to take him (and even then... You can find bototm pairing D's for 1.5M)

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Zaitsev is the difinition of a cap dump...

His metrics and stats have him piicured as a bottom pairing D / #6... But he's paid @ 4.5M

Very similar to Andrew McDonald if you ask me. So, the answer is no, I do not believe he's worth anything to anyone, and Leafs would need to retain at least 2M$ for a team to take him (and even then... You can find bototm pairing D's for 1.5M)
Other GMs have expressed interest in him..

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs not trading Kapanen and Kadri for a UFA a good defenceman and a prospect albeit a good one. And we trade Zaitsev! Why would the Leafs do that?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
So, breaking down the pieces, it's roughly:

Spurgeon ~ Kadri
Greenway ~ Kapanen

And then Staal for Zaitsev, for some reason. I guess to (sort of) plug the holes left by the top assets traded.

Kapanen: 18g/36pts >> Greenway 9g/17pts

they arent equal

hell no to this deal. unloading zaitsev sounds great, but not at the cost of moving Kadri and Kapanen for Spurgeon, 20 games of Staal and a 4th liner with size

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Not a chance lol. Barrie can and will return more than Kadri.

LAWL

dude is -72 the last 4 years. one of the worst dmen away from the puck in the league.
Kadri coming off back to back 30+g season on a sweetheart contract is worth way more than 100 games of your 5'9 OFD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->