Waived: Leafs waive Eric Fehr

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Babcock: "We've had players in the past that were disgruntled and then they went elsewhere and found out they weren't NHL players."

Is this in regards to Fehr?

First time I heard this quote, interesting.
I wonder why they had to be somewhere else to figure out they weren't NHLers. Guess they didn't heed the Leafs advice.:doh:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Panik is a legit NHL player.. not sure why he's on this list. I actually think Panik would have fit our top 9 nicely and we could trade someone. But that's a mistake they'll just have to live with

Panik never had more than 17 points with the leafs or lightning and had 8 points in 30 games in his first part of a season with the blackhawks. Outside of last year and a pretty good start year this year he really hasn't shown to be anything more than a guy who got luck to be put in a position to succeed. He played with toews and or kane 5 on 5, and he still only got 44 points. People act like we gave up a PPG player he has one year of 0.5PPG hockey

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Panik never had more than 17 points with the leafs or lightning and had 8 points in 30 games in his first part of a season with the blackhawks. Outside of last year and a pretty good start year this year he really hasn't shown to be anything more than a guy who got luck to be put in a position to succeed. He played with toews and or kane 5 on 5, and he still only got 44 points. People act like we gave up a PPG player he has one year of 0.5PPG hockey

Panik is a decent player. However I dont miss him and neither should anyone else. It wasnt a mistake either. Babcock wasnt a fan and I cant blame him. With elite players, he only manages 44 points so why should we be upset over that.
Give me Hyman, Leivo, Kapanen over Panik.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
This is the full quote. The question came from Kristen Shilton about how Leivo has handled the mental challenge of staying ready.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Part of themat Babcock quote really doesn't come across all that well. If he's refusing to play a young player, nothing wrong with them requesting a trade. He's been right sometimes (ie Corrado) but not always - ie Panik.

I'm glad for the sake of the Leafs Leivo is responding well to this situation but I'm a bit surprised he hasn't requested a trade himself unless he's been promised icetime at some point this season.that said, it seems as if Babcock is certainly willing to give him a fair chance at some point, maybe.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
This is the full quote. The question came from Kristen Shilton about how Leivo has handled the mental challenge of staying ready.

I have a problem with that quote where he says "when you get in if you play good enough, no one takes you out" Leivo was probably one of the 3 stars in a couple of games he got last year and was very good on the others. If what babcock says is true Leivo should of been in the team from the beginning

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Part of themat Babcock quote really doesn't come across all that well. If he's refusing to play a young player, nothing wrong with them requesting a trade. He's been right sometimes (ie Corrado) but not always - ie Panik.

I'm glad for the sake of the Leafs Leivo is responding well to this situation but I'm a bit surprised he hasn't requested a trade himself unless he's been promised icetime at some point this season.that said, it seems as if Babcock is certainly willing to give him a fair chance at some point, maybe.

also yes they find out they aren't NHLers but if they don't play here how could they possibly know that?, basically holding them in purgatory not knowing if they can play NHL or not. Not a thing wrong with requesting a trade to see if they can handle it

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We have a number of players that are free agents in the off season, so maybe Leivo will be given more of an opportunity next season. Maybe thats why Leivo signed a 2 year deal, in that the 2nd year he could become a full time member.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I have a problem with that quote where he says "when you get in if you play good enough, no one takes you out" Leivo was probably one of the 3 stars in a couple of games he got last year and was very good on the others. If what babcock says is true Leivo should of been in the team from the beginning
He was awful in his last game against San Jose which is why he came out of the lineup.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He was awful in his last game against San Jose which is why he came out of the lineup.

if im thinking of the right game the while team was awful. Cant be sure if it was the SJ game but one of those California games we were bad

edit: he actually scored a goal in his last game it was against New Jersey a few days after San jose
2nd edit: it wasnt a few days it was a couple of weeks later my bad

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
if im thinking of the right game the while team was awful. Cant be sure if it was the SJ game but one of those California games we were bad

edit: he actually scored a goal in his last game it was against New Jersey a few days after San jose
2nd edit: it wasnt a few days it was a couple of weeks later my bad

The San Jose game was the third loss in a row and his lack of speed was really noticeable. He got yanked and we went on to the hot streak thereafter to make the playoffs.

His game against the Devils was a month later as an injury fill in for Sosh. Got yanked again because we needed PKers with Sosh out. I think that's when Kappy came up to be a regular.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

it's not just young players.
and meh. we're not even missing Panik.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Who are you taking out of the line up right now for him besides Matt Martin?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We have a number of players that are free agents in the off season, so maybe Leivo will be given more of an opportunity next season. Maybe thats why Leivo signed a 2 year deal, in that the 2nd year he could become a full time member.

Lou told Leivo as soon as he finds a trading partner for JVR Leivo is a lock in the line up so 2 yr deal

:naughty:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

This is the 2nd year of the deal, and he's a UFA this offseason unless he plays 39 games this season.

This Babcock quote, and the waiving of Fehr seems related to me. If Fehr spoke up, then they waive him, nobody claims him and they go to him and say hey nobody wants you, we could send you down and you'd go the way of all the prior guys who wanted out and realized they weren't NHLers, or you could shutup accept your role and play in the NHL.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Thanks. All the talk I've seen has been about that one sentence out of context. I know I read that this wasn't a shot against Leivo from Kristen, but this is the first time I see the whole quote.

I also don't see how it's about Fehr, as some mentioned. Babcock said "players in the past", you don't word it that way about someone currently on waivers who still practice with the team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is the 2nd year of the deal, and he's a UFA this offseason unless he plays 39 games this season.

This Babcock quote, and the waiving of Fehr seems related to me. If Fehr spoke up, then they waive him, nobody claims him and they go to him and say hey nobody wants you, we could send you down and you'd go the way of all the prior guys who wanted out and realized they weren't NHLers, or you could shutup accept your role and play in the NHL.

If I were a betting man I'd say Leivo leaves as a free agent this July, unless Babcock becomes enamoured with his play. But if Leivis production during his call up last season couldn't convince Babcock I doubt his play this season will do any different

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I still think there's a good chance that he plays well enough to stay on the team. I understand you have to be a certain speed to play on a Babcock team, but Matt Martin has played for this team. JVR when he decides to not skate is even slower than Leivo. Leivo's production last year cannot be ignored.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I am still a bit surprised how often I see fans take issue or ask about Leafs treatment of Leivo -- at least I thought most of us already knew..

Since JVR wasn't at practice today, Mike Johnson and Craig address this very topic and I agree with 100% -- starts at about 30 minute mark in the 1st hour of Leafs Lunch:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/leafs-lunch-hour-1-october-25th-2017-1.895489
Maybe it's a Leafs thing but our mindset for so long was that the grass was always greener. Right now its Leivo, before that it was Corrado etc etc. I think we'd all like to believe the healthy scratch is better than whomever our whipping boy is.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad