Waived: Leafs waive Eric Fehr

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Moore was already in the lineup, Rosen down Polak on, Fehr out, WHO on?

The answer is dominic Moore

Hyman Matthews Nylander

JVR Bozak Brown

Marleau Kadri Komarov

Marner Moore Martin

Leivo

Moore looks to be the full time 4th line center there is zero need to call anyone up there isn't even a spot open.

Marner will eventually move back up the lineup but that's it there is no spot open

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Brace yourself, this may come as a shock:

Today at noon he has cleared waivers. What happens next is not yet known. He may be sent to the AHL, but he doesn’t have to be. Many teams waive depth players to provide flexibility in roster choices or to make them more attractive to trade.
If he does go to the AHL, $975,000 of his salary stays behind to count against the Leafs’ salary cap.
The next step could happen today or not until the Leafs leave on their California road trip. They might call up a player, as the roster now sits at 22 men assuming Fehr is sent down, or they may wait to decide who they should add.
This entire exercise might involve simply recalling Calle Rosen, with the timing of Polak’s signing a bit before Fehr was waived making it more complicated than it needed to be.
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/...nto-maple-leafs-eric-fehr-has-cleared-waivers

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The answer is dominic Moore

Hyman Matthews Nylander

JVR Bozak Brown

Marleau Kadri Komarov

Marner Moore Martin

Leivo

Moore looks to be the full time 4th line center there is zero need to call anyone up there isn't even a spot open.

Marner will eventually move back up the lineup but that's it there is no spot open
We have a roster spot open!

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
They won't play much but nearly every team goes with the 23 man roster unless they are really up against the cap.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Actually, the cap remainder price went up. I think it's now 1.1 or 1.2 mil. Regardless of that, I don't think you're going to see Rosen back up just to sit as an 8th D. He needs to play, and develop. He can't do that scratching his butt in the press box. But if not him, then who as forward (preferably a centre) do you call up to sit? It would have to be a vet, someone who we can afford to park and not worry about development. I don't want to say this (because I'm afraid he might actually get a chance to play and Babcock will start makin' googly eyes at him again) but...Ben Smith? I would prefer Greening myself. A capable vet who can still play and not embarrass himself at the the NHL level, but who doesn't mind sitting for LONG stretches.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Dont need to add a player till Sunday morning when the Leafs leave for Cali. Marlies are in the Cuse Sat nite so somebodies gonna have a longgg day!
No, I get that, just wonder who? Like to see Kap, but I'm not holding my breath.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
No, I get that, just wonder who? Like to see Kap, but I'm not holding my breath.

Agreed! If everyones healthy after Sat, they could go west with 22. I want Kap to play, it will happen when an injury occurs. Thats why I dont understand waiving Fehr, he could ride the pines!

Reactions: DarkKnight

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I thought the cap worked the other way ? we get 1.o25 million in relief and have to carry the balance .

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
If the Leafs don't call someone up pretty quick to fill the roster spot, starts to look like the Leafs were making a statement here with this waiver.

Not pretending I have any information/knowlege about it, but kind of feels like a logo-on-the-front-not-the-name-on-the-back thing.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Maybe he doesn't go down. He's the most logical and expendable centre to sit. Perhaps this was an attempt to clear an untradeable contract. Now that they're stuck with each other he's the best press-box player of the bunch.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Maybe he doesn't go down. He's the most logical and expendable centre to sit. Perhaps this was an attempt to clear an untradeable contract. Now that they're stuck with each other he's the best press-box player of the bunch.

People are making too big a deal of this.

Players clear waivers and get traded all the time (hello Pickard) because of contract limits, cap etc.

Fehr looked decent enough that some time may be interested, they might just want to move something our way as well.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
he still hasn't been sent down right? so we don't have an open roster spot technically he is the 14th forward. Obviously he can go down same time another player comes up

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
he still hasn't been sent down right? so we don't have an open roster spot technically he is the 14th forward. Obviously he can go down same time another player comes up

He acts like a waiver exempt player now for the next 30 days and can go up and down as needed.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He acts like a waiver exempt player now for the next 30 days and can go up and down as needed.

I knew we had a set amount of times to send him down, but I didn't know we could send him down and call him up multiple times over 30 days

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I knew we had a set amount of times to send him down, but I didn't know we could send him down and call him up multiple times over 30 days

A player that clears waivers unclaimed does need waivers again for 30 days as per CBA. The advantage to the Leafs now is that if a player on another team hits waivers and Leafs want to put in a claim they can because they can now simply demote Fehr to make room on the 23 man limit. If a player needs waivers first that isn't possible because they have 24 hour waive period to have an open roster spot.

But most importantly Fehr and Polak act as 1 player as far as the Leafs Cap goes once Fehr is demoted.

Fehr makes $2 mil and has a similar Cap hit, but once demoted the Leafs recapture $925k of that. With Polak making $1.1 mil combined with recapture amount it adds up to ~$2 mil cap.

Fehr = $2 mil cap hit
or
Fehr (on Marlies) = $2 mil - $925k recapture = $1.075 mil on Leafs cap + Polak at $1.1 mil = $2.175 mil cap hit

Last edited:

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
A player that clears waivers unclaimed does need waivers again for 30 days as per CBA. The advantage to the Leafs now is that if a player on another team hits waivers and Leafs want to put in a claim they can because they can now simply demote Fehr to make room on the 23 man limit. If a player needs waivers first that isn't possible because they have 24 hour waive period to have an open roster spot.

But most importantly Fehr and Polak act as 1 player as far as the Leaafs Cap goes once Fehr is demoted.

Fehr makes $2 mil and has a similar Cap hit, but once demoted the Leafs recapture $925k of that. With Polak making $1.1 mil combined with recapture amount it adds up to ~$2 mil cap.

Fehr = $2 mil cap hit
or
Fehr (on Marlies) = $2 mil - $925k recapture = $1.075 mil on Leafs cap + Polak at $1.1 mil = $2.175 mil cap hit

Perhaps I wasn't knowledgeable enough or following closely but I don't remember our management team before Shanahan making these kind of shrewd moves.

btw - nice explanation Mess!

The pure essence and joy of the game of hockey has become so enmeshed and entangled with the business of the game that it frustrates me a little. I enjoy the game the same. But, it's harder and harder to understand team strategies without understanding the business side - which makes me a little sad - is what I am saying.

Last edited:

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Babcock: "We've had players in the past that were disgruntled and then they went elsewhere and found out they weren't NHL players."

Is this in regards to Fehr?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad