Post-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sens- Preseason game 1, Tuesday September 17th 5:30, let the hockey begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
TB, bruins, penguins and jets have also lost this year so far. alot of good teams from last year already out of the race it seems!

Reactions: dangomon

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I wouldn't have been either with the way he played tonight. Guy was brutal on the powerplay. Hell even Gauthier looked miles better than him.

Of course Gauthier played a lot better tonight, Spezza is taking away his job, he will do everything to try to stay with the big club.

Reactions: Ciao

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not many huge standouts. Gauthier had plenty of chances. Schmaltz was pretty solid.

I thought Engvall struggled. I don't think he'll be turning heads with that kind of performance.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Spezza

Rielly Ceci
Muzzin Barrie
Dermott Schmaltz

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
goat can get as many chances as connor mcdavid, doesnt really matter unless he learns to finish on at least a few of those chances. i like the kid but i just dont see it ever happening. hope im wrong though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He didn’t really do much, but you could tell that Barrie thinks the game at a high level. I think we will be happy with him.

Maybe offensively.

Defensively, not really. The guy was constantly getting beat and was out of position far too many times for a team of that quality. Muzzin wasn't much better at least, so hopefully both get better. Otherwise it's looking like he'll just be a RD-version of Gardiner with better offensive skills... Which is not what the Leafs need.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Spezza

Rielly Ceci
Muzzin Barrie
Dermott Schmaltz

They badly need a Tom Wilson type of player in that top 9. Just too damn small

Reactions: Plub

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Spezza

Rielly Ceci
Muzzin Barrie
Dermott Schmaltz

I wouldn't pencil in Schmaltz as a full timer just yet, but I'd probably have him one of the two bottom pairing guys while Dermott is out and from there, we'll see if he can stick full time.

Otherwise, that is what the lineup should be IMO. Petan or Timashov (who should open some eyes today) as the 13th forward.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Just finished the game.
Well, lots of sloppy plays, as expected.

Gauthier was pretty good, and i also liked Timashov and...thats about it.

Schmaltz has a really weird skating. Looks like he tries so hard, his feet moving fast but his is just somewhat slow. This could be the main reason he struggled to get to the NHL.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I didn't watch the game. Some said he looked good, and others said he was okay.
How was he defensively?
I'm in the camp that thought he looked good. Not only did he play with ambitious and effective passing, I like how he read the game off the puck. He had a number of reads where he noticed problems in the neutral or defensive zone and covered holes. Kept his feet moving. Superb poise. Started a couple of effective transitions by waiting for pressure and making a good, short pass to bypass it.

His biggest issues were along the boards where he got outmuscled rather easily, and in earning space for himself in the offensive zone to utilize his great vision and passing. I don't think he'll ever be a strong board player, but he's like one step skating-wise away from being an effective NHLer in my book.

Reactions: stickty111

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga

Babs sometimes man wtf is this

God, this man. His public biases against certain players (probably Dubas players) is so unprofessional. It's like he's just daring Dubas to fire him. Last year's Muzzin's comments were so cringe-worthy.

Spezza - dirt cheap, extremely motivated to be here, face-off master, decent offence still, plays PK and PP, nice guy, leader, "family man" - what's their to dislike? Babs just being weird and passive-aggressive again.

Reactions: yubbers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad