Post-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sens- Preseason game 1, Tuesday September 17th 5:30, let the hockey begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
God, this man. His public biases against certain players (probably Dubas players) is so unprofessional. It's like he's just daring Dubas to fire him. Last year's Muzzin's comments were so cringe-worthy.

Spezza - dirt cheap, extremely motivated to be here, face-off master, decent offence still, plays PK and PP, nice guy, leader, "family man" - what's their to dislike? Babs just being weird and passive-aggressive again.

He's always been like this. So sick of Babcock, honestly.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Perhaps a small tidbit to explain the Babs hesitation with Spezza, Mark Masters on radio this morning saying he didn't look particular good in the scrimmages. Just for some context. He looked good yesterday I thought, slow start but got better and better for sure.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Maybe offensively.

Defensively, not really. The guy was constantly getting beat and was out of position far too many times for a team of that quality. Muzzin wasn't much better at least, so hopefully both get better. Otherwise it's looking like he'll just be a RD-version of Gardiner with better offensive skills... Which is not what the Leafs need.

I disagree.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Nothing, people overreacting. He played spezza a ton. Trying to figure out if pk is an option with him. That's it, nitpicking the first media scrum after the first preseason game
thanks, I guess fans want to see Spezza scoring, not on the penalty kill. Fans need to remember that this is preseason and they're trying out players at different roles to see what works best, you want to do this when the games mean nothing, not the regular season.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
thanks, I guess fans want to see Spezza scoring, not on the penalty kill. Fans need to remember that this is preseason and they're trying out players at different roles to see what works best, you want to do this when the games mean nothing, not the regular season.
Also that the leafs are trying to utilize the Detroit method getting ‘one more year’ out of an aging vet. This is why players get run out of town in big markets. Fan bases can’t understand not everyone is a superstar in the nhl. Role players are just that. If we get 20 -30 points out of spezza in limited usage that’s a huge win as a 4th line forward. It’s not 2007 anymore. He’s not the same player

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think we're going to find out very quickly that defensively Gauthier is better than Spezza at everything except faceoffs. Unless Spezza just hasn't tried defensively his entire NHL career.

I think what you think you heard from Babcock is that he believes Spezza is entirely unsuited to being a 4th line defense-first center. I don't think he's wrong.

Reactions: sparxx87

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Maybe offensively.

Defensively, not really. The guy was constantly getting beat and was out of position far too many times for a team of that quality. Muzzin wasn't much better at least, so hopefully both get better. Otherwise it's looking like he'll just be a RD-version of Gardiner with better offensive skills... Which is not what the Leafs need.
Then you’re going to be pretty disappointed with Tyson Barrie. He isn’t going to be a defensive zone improvement over Gardiner. He may be a little less mistake prone but he isn’t any better playing defense without the puck.

Getting beat and being out of defensive position are two things that’ll always be apart of Barrie’s game. You’ve gotta take the good with the bad. On the bright side, it’s likely only one year.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
First time I missed watching a preseason game, Barrie -3 eh

missed the game, but sounds like it was a snoozefest

barrie and muzz -5 in preseason

meh wake me up oct 2

Can we not already. Neither of you watched the game, as admitted, so don't put focus on the wrong things because other people are gonna run with it. It takes 5 mins to watch the highlights.

Goal #1: stinker by Andersen
Goal #2: high-risk and poorly executed pass right into the slot by Marner
Goal #3: empty net

Also, it's the first preseason game. Guys are rusty, faces are new, systems are changing and most of each team isn't even playing.
These early preseason games are the very definition of meaningless.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Can we not already. Neither of you watched the game, as admitted, so don't put focus on the wrong things because other people are gonna run with it. It takes 5 mins to watch the highlights.

Goal #1: stinker by Andersen
Goal #2: high-risk and poorly executed pass right into the slot by Marner
Goal #3: empty net

Also, it's the first preseason game. Guys are rusty, faces are new, systems are changing and most of each team isn't even playing.
These early preseason games are the very definition of meaningless.
Even the second goal could have been saved by Kask as well, not to excuse a giveaway-of-the-year candidate though. I don't think it's a stretch to say the Leafs were the better team in this horribly sloppy (both teams) game.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He didn’t really do much, but you could tell that Barrie thinks the game at a high level. I think we will be happy with him.

noticed this myself. Every time he had the puck I thought "ok we are good here" either in defence he just made the right decision (skated or passed it out) in offence he made the right decision unfortunately his best plays went to some of the players who are very unlikely long term NHLers, With full roster and barrie sitting at the point for Matthews/Nylander & JT/Marner we are in very good hands

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Maybe offensively.

really? I didn't think that, I thought he was making good decisions everytime he had the puck, constantly being beaten outside I think is a little bit of hyperbole. But in any case 1st pre season game for a guaranteed NHLer Vs guys who will to show everything they got to get a game of course they would have more jump

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think there are going to be some interesting (and contentious) debates about the makeup of this team this year. Usually an NHL GM of a team that is loaded offensively with skill and speed looks to make moves to shore up other areas of deficiency (i.e. the Muzzin acquisition) believed to have contributed to an early playoff exit. For the most part in this off season Dubas doubled down on speed/skill factor.

Reactions: Kurtz

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
How rounded a player did we really think Barrie was going to be? Dubas got him (with salary retained) along with a top 9 forward for a 3rd line 45 point center.

Of course Gardiner is better defensively than Barrie, he sure as heck isn't remotely comparable offensively.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
There were some okay things. But for the most part, it was a bunch of guys trying to find their legs.

I know the tsn crew were pumping him; but goat legit looked quick and creative.... he put the puck behind defenders and made things happen.

Barrie and Muzzin will find their game.. it's tough working it up the ice when you have AHLers and kids trying to impress rather than play systemmatically.

Couldn't really complain...was hoping to see some more success on the power play and have it flow through Barrie a little more.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
How rounded a player did we really think Barrie was going to be? Dubas got him (with salary retained) along with a top 9 forward for a 3rd line 45 point center.

Of course Gardiner is better defensively than Barrie, he sure as heck isn't remotely comparable offensively.

I think you're selling Kadri short, or at least Colorado's expectations of him. I think they see him as a year removed from two 30-goal seasons and look at his usage last season and think he could get back there. I think they're wrong, but what do I know?

As for Barrie, Colorado knew they wouldn't be able to keep him after this season so they proactively traded him. Personally I think we did really well in that trade.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Here's a summary for the Hot stove: Preseason Game Notes: Ottawa Senators 3 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs 1 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Jordan Schmaltz stood out positively in his preseason Leafs debut. He played with a lot of urgency to his game — got back on pucks quickly, broke pucks out quickly — looked poised in possession, and moved the pill well throughout. It’s definitely too early to be making these kinds of statements, but he certainly outshone Justin Holl in this one.

Frederik Gauthier was among the best Leaf forwards. As is tradition, he left with nothing to show for it offensively. The ice was consistently tilting the right way with him on the ice; he was gathering speed through the neutral zone, extending plays on the cycle, was all around the net for tips and rebounds, and could’ve easily scored a couple in this game. Goat’s limitations in finishing plays is always going to be his downfall, but a major credit to him for coming out and looking hungry/prepared for the challenge with his 4C job from last season very much in peril. He skated really well throughout and — mandatory mention — was 6’5 every shift.

Egor Korshkov skated on a line wth Goat, and you can see the flashes of potential there. There’s quite a bit of skill to go along with the big frame, but he really fades in and out of games. Curious to see where he’s at after a full season with the Marlies.

Obviously a nothing tune-up game for Tyson Barrie (reflected in his effort on the Senators’ empty-netter), but it’s going to be enjoyable to watch him each night as the games pick up. He’s a silky-smooth operator breaking out with the puck on his stick as well as manning the offensive blue line, and he’s highly aggressive pinching down the walls knowing he can recover so well with his feet. There was one really nice shift in particular where Muzzin and Barrie hemmed the Sens in for a minute-plus along with the Spezza line, leading to a power play for the Leafs late in the first period.

We knew this from the end of last year, but Trevor Moore is going to be a useful player this season; you can throw him on either wing on whatever line and you know what you’re going to get from him — boundless energy, consistent second and third efforts, lots of puck pressure all over the ice.

Mason Marchment
’s gumption for going to the net and getting on the body is a refreshing sight and it definitely leaps off the page on this Leafs team. He also covers ice deceptively well. The biggest area for improvement for him might be adding some strength/bulk and more stability in his lower half. He made some moves to protect the puck and take it wide only to get thrown off balance a number of times in this game.

In Dallas, Jason Spezza was often tasked with breaking the zone on the power play for his unit; he could take up the role for the second unit in Toronto, but it might depend whether William Nylander is a part of that group. Given the chance to gain a head of speed, Spezza’s hands are obviously his best asset, and it’s one area where he looked good in this game. Remains to be seen if he can penalty kill; the one time he played a notable role there was in 2010-11 with the Senators (1:52 per game), and to a lesser extent in 2013-14 (47 seconds/game). Otherwise, he hasn’t done it throughout his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->