Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I actually think these lines are perfect given who's in the lineup. I like Kase on the top line with Marner out, don't touch the Tavares line, Mikheyev will do well on the shutdown line, Liljegren on the second pair. Lots of good stuff imo.

We usually play the 4th line a decent amount but with Seney in this feels like a game they won't see as much time. Simmonds might get some extra shifts on other lines occasionally after special teams and such.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Hyman's out for tonight. It's too bad as that was an interesting sidebar to this game.

Although last I heard he was singlehandedly outscoring our entire top 4 guys so I count ourselves lucky, or was that after the first 3-4 games? Either way, we still gotta contend with the grit and toughness of RNH and Puljujarvi so it won't be easy
Imagine how hard Bunting will gangsta this thang up now... that hy-man is out too. :clap: We just so hard... and gangsta sire. Others is not!

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Oilers GDT looks like a playoff version. They care so much about this game it would be kina cute if it weren't so pathetic.
Well they are on a 5 or 6 game skid. Beating a quality team like ours should have a positive effect on their teams moral and can kickstart a bounce back from their team.
It’s not insanely important, but it does have some more value than any other game I’d say

Reactions: leafsfan5

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Yup. I doubt this game happens. If it does, may be the last game for a while. Ugh.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Don't let Oilers fans convince you that goaltending has been the problem for them. They're right in the middle of the pack in team save percentage this year, and have a better record with Koskinen in net than without him in net.

They are simply a terrible defensive team. Also, not even that great offensively at even strength. They have the best PP in the league though.
Right on all counts,we must stay out of the penalty box.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So maybe no game tonight? FML that would suck. On the other hand, err on the side of caution I say. Better to miss one game tonight then miss a bunch more later.

If we do play, welcome back Soupy! We didn't miss you much when we were steamrolling everyone but lately ... we miss you. :)

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

I actually think these lines are perfect given who's in the lineup. I like Kase on the top line with Marner out, don't touch the Tavares line, Mikheyev will do well on the shutdown line, Liljegren on the second pair. Lots of good stuff imo.

We usually play the 4th line a decent amount but with Seney in this feels like a game they won't see as much time. Simmonds might get some extra shifts on other lines occasionally after special teams and such.

It'll be interesting to see how the third line works. If it clicks it can open up Kase for more offensive roles even when Marner comes back.

Make the 4th line Simmonds - Spezza - Kase and suddenly you have 3 offensive lines and a shutdown 3rd line

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It'll be interesting to see how the third line works. If it clicks it can open up Kase for more offensive roles even when Marner comes back.

Make the 4th line Simmonds - Spezza - Kase and suddenly you have 3 offensive lines and a shutdown 3rd line
Spezza is currently suspended.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Spezza is currently suspended.
I meant when he's back and the lineup is healthy

The cap will be the main concern though, I don't think everyone fits and we'll have to make some moves. Ritchie would be the odd man out with my lines

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Hopefully should be back from work by 9pm for this game. Playing the Oilers is always fun.

I don't think this game will be as much fun as that 3 game sweep from last year. Boy that was super fun. Think HFOil went into hiding after that.

Leafs have a wicked record there...believe something like 8-0-1.

GLG!

Reactions: supermann_98

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I meant when he's back and the lineup is healthy

The cap will be the main concern though, I don't think everyone fits and we'll have to make some moves. Ritchie would be the odd man out with my lines
Got it. I thought with this being the GDT that you meant tonight.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Lets hope not.

If all the other tests come back negative there would be no reason to.

I have to say, I am impressed with our groups committment to clearly not putting themselves in harms way when it comes to covid. Considering they live in, what the 4th lagest city in North America, they are clearly going over an above. Of course, we will get hit with it too at some point I would imagine... ugh.

I feel like we are definetly edging towards some changes being implemented (at least here in Canada) to the game day routine for both players and fans alike.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Engvall Kampf and Mikheyev should be an interesting line and I like Kase with Matthews. Big chance for Liljegren to take a step and Holl will hopefully have a flashback to when he single handedly shut down McDavid, Draisaitl and the entire Oilers team. Another advantage is them not having Zach "makes every line he plays on better" Hyman. Looking forward to this game. All that said would not surprise me if the Leafs pulled a real stinker.

Reactions: Anthrax442

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Saw a post on the Oilers board that I thought was fascinating:

Kampf, Kase and Bunting combined make less than Zack Kassian
Simmonds and Spezza combined make as much as Kyle Turris

We essentially have 5 of our most useful role players for the price of their 2 plugs. It's insane how bad the Oilers management has been at surrounding their stars with talent. Props to Dubas for being able to find these useful pieces at cheap costs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad