Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Montreal vs Ottawa Rookie Tournament Thread

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
It's a new tournament this year

Playing out of Ricoh (no more London), only three teams (no more Pittsburgh) and you play each team once.

No idea why they changed it up (though admittedly have not looked for reasons either).

Am i right in thinking Montreal wasnt always in this either? I remember when it was a 4 team tournament including us, Ottawa, Pitt and a 4th team....thinking Chicago?

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Who cares, I am finally seeing live hockey on Sunday

zdh1W9y.gif

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Five Maple Leafs rookies to watch

The Leafs’ annual rookie tournament, which will help decide which newcomers make the NHL roster this season, opens Friday at Ricoh Coliseum.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2017/09/07/five-maple-leafs-rookies-to-watch.html

Five players to watch at the Maple Leafs’Maple Leafs’ rookie tournament, starting Friday at Ricoh Coliseum:

D Timothy Liljegren, 18

The Maple Leafs’ top pick in this year’s draft is a long shot to catapult from this camp to the NHL roster right away. The Swedish defenceman was highly regarded at 17, though, despite a bad draft year due to a bout of mono. The Leafs believe they got a steal. As a first-round pick, the glare will be stronger on him than the rest.

F Carl Grundstrom, 19

The 57th overall pick in 2016 was a force to be reckoned in the AHL playoffs, arriving after his Swedish team was eliminated. He skates, checks and scores, and is generally worth the price of admission. He plays like Leo Komarov.

F Jeremy Bracco, 20

The American winger is coming off a 93-point OHL season with Windsor and Kitchener, winning a Memorial Cup with the Spitfires and world junior gold with the United States. The 61st overall pick from 2015 is heading into his first season as a pro. Undersized, he plays a bit like Mitch Marner.

D Travis Dermott, 21

The Newmarket native made strides last year in his first season as a pro with the AHL’s Marlies and ought to dominate the blue line this weekend as a veteran. The Leafs think very highly of Dermott — the 34th overall pick in 2015 — and with that comes high expectations. There are holes on the Leafs blue line and Dermott has to show he can make the leap.

G Kasimir Kaskisuo, 23

The goalie from Espoo, Finland, moved up the depth charts with a stellar performance in the AHL Calder Cup playoffs last season. He took over the job because of injuries to Antoine Bibeau and Garret Sparks and never gave it back. Bibeau is now a San Jose Shark. Kaskisuo, a free agent signing out of college in 2016, will battle Sparks for Marlies’ top job.

I liked his pre-draft scouting report. How he's more Canadian than normal Canadians. His game is designed for NHL. He kind a reminds of me Kulemin. When Kulemin used to care to play. I still can't believe he scored 30 goals

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
So I assume Liljgren is the guy everyone wants to see. First time we'll get a good look at him against other competition in his age group in an NHL environment. Also interested in seeing Rasanen and what he can do. Dermott should look like a top 5 defender in this tournament.

For forwards, I want to specifically see Bracco and Grundstrom.

i'm more interested in the ? like korostelov, gordeev, rasanen, mcgregor, middleton and mattinen and brooks.

i'm not expecting anything from the above except brooks, who should be brown 2.0 in terms of overachieving and rasanen, who should look good but raw. i know nothing about gordeev and mcgregor, except it would have been funny if we still had greg mcgregg.

I'm hoping korostelov can turn it on, because his massive shot and natural moves are nhl level. it's his compete and skating (which has gotten better, but can still massively improve especially acceleration) which will have to drastically increase.

i'm also interested to see how dermott stacks up against NKB, lily.

bracco should skate circles around everyone and grundstrom is at least an ahler, so it's really a waste imo that he's there.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
It's a new tournament this year

Playing out of Ricoh (no more London), only three teams (no more Pittsburgh) and you play each team once.

No idea why they changed it up (though admittedly have not looked for reasons either).

I went to one of these years ago when it was at Ricoh. I talked to one of the scouts from another team and he pretty much implied that most teams think this tournament isn't really worth the trouble.

It's great for us hardcore fans. We get to see some players in action that we wouldn't normally get to see. And MSLE probably makes some money off it too.

But I think most teams don't see much benefit in participating.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If Quebec ever gets a team again that would be a nice little 4 team tourney.
We'll see. Not sure why Buffalo doesn't join the group.

Might be because the Sabres NHL roster may not be able to beat our prospects roster.

Can't wait to see some hockey this weekend!!!!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
he caught the Auston Matthews "flou"

I'm sure Dermott is going to get more of a look/assessment in training camp than a rookie tournament. Most of these rookies are slated for the other leagues so how much do you need to view Dermott on this stage.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Would like to see Grundström do something good here. He's been very meh these pre-season games with Frölunda.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm sure Dermott is going to get more of a look/assessment in training camp than a rookie tournament. Most of these rookies are slated for the other leagues so how much do you need to view Dermott on this stage.

I'd say some will be using this for a step to get up to game speed.

Dermott is going to get a long look, but I think it won't be any longer than the other AHL players or the 2 Swedes.

He's an easy choice to spend another year in the AHL, just 1 pro season and time missed at that.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

yeah pretty much exactly what I was saying in the post before the one you quoted. as of right now I think he may be front runner for 3rd pair LHD

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Dermott is going to get a long look, but I think it won't be any longer than the other AHL players or the 2 Swedes.

He's an easy choice to spend another year in the AHL, just 1 pro season and time missed at that.

but the 2 swedes have 0 NA ice experience (as far as I know) and can just as easily start in the AHL as dermott.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Yes I expect Dermott,Borgman,Rosen will all get a long look.
However there are so many others that will not really proceed past here for the time being. Better to get a longer look at them now. We will be seeing the other 3 sooner and longer.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yep, I could see all 3 start in the AHL, maybe one is Kaberle maybe not.

Heck, for all we know Holl could start on the 3rd. pairing.

Holl is a legit shot a RHD 3rd pair but carrick likely beats him out for the last spot

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Hockey is back!! Looking forward to seeing Liljegren out there. I'm expecting nothing short of domination for Bracco as well.

Game can be seen here https://www.nhl.com/video/live-montreal-vs-toronto/t-281013894/c-40472703

Thanks for the link. I have been so busy this summer the time has passed quickly can't believe it's rookie tourney time already. I'm stoked to see the new guys.

Best Rookie Tourney moment for me was when Viktor Loov rocked Curtis Lazar at centre ice a few years back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad