Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Montreal vs Ottawa Rookie Tournament Thread

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Highest Expectations- Dermott/Liljegren/Grundstrom (in that order)- expect dominance (as much as Grundstrom's game on the wing allows him to

Highest hopes- Brooks/Middleton
Brooks- that he comes in and dominates like the above group, looks like a pro and steps into the A @.6ppg or better.
Middleton- that he open's peoples eyes and shows fantastic defense and better than expected mobility +puck skills and shows that the numbers might not tell the whole story

Wildcard- Bracco- if he carries on from his Mem cup performance throw him in the dominant group as well

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Highest Expectations- Dermott/Liljegren/Grundstrom (in that order)- expect dominance (as much as Grundstrom's game on the wing allows him to

Brooks- that he comes in and dominates like the above group, looks like a pro and steps into the A @.6ppg or better.
Middleton- that he open's peoples eyes and shows fantastic defense and better than expected mobility +puck skills and shows that the numbers might not tell the whole story

Wildcard- Bracco- if he carries on from his Mem cup performance throw him in the dominant group as well

Middleton, any relation to the Middleton (Rick?) that played for the B's back in the 80's?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This made me realize how good and deep our prospect pool still is despite the recent graduations. It's pretty amazing honestly we still have so many guys who can be difference makers at the nhl level

Bracco, Brooks, liljegren, Nielsen, and Dermott are all good talents. I'd love to see Woll in net as well

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'm a bit of a Middleton fan-boy but I do have some concerns about his puck skills
Everything else is impressive though

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
isn't there usually 4 teams and 3 games each in the past?

It's a new tournament this year

Playing out of Ricoh (no more London), only three teams (no more Pittsburgh) and you play each team once.

No idea why they changed it up (though admittedly have not looked for reasons either).

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Lol ottawa has sent some pretty stacked teams over the years... I was there 2? or so years ago and they sent a squad of low end nhl players it was pretty pathetic. I remember more about it now, thats the game where snizz did that UNREAL wraparound to score, if any1 remembers/knows what i'm talking about. I knew after that game that snizz was going to be a superstar in the league in short order. Yeah I keep thinking about it, Kapp willie and marner definitely were a line during that game as well, it was fun to watch.

That's what always got me about this tournament; you'd THINK teams would use it to gauge the abilities of their prospects. The Leafs and the Habs always have, but Ottawa seems to treat it as an opportunity to have their pros destroy Leaf and Hab prospects so their fans can gloat about it...

The Pens did the same, which is why I'm kind of glad they're not in it this year...

Edit: Just to point out, I'm not arguing that pros have no business in this tournament; if you have an abundance of older pros, you're obviously going to be sending them. I'm talking about Ottawa basically sending the Binghamton Senators and Pittsburgh sending the WBS Penguins SPECIFICALLY to dominate this tournament...

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Anyone know if there's a stream, paid or otherwise, for these games. I miss hockey steams.

Finally.., an answer to a question, that many people have been asking.. :)
(rumored to also be streamed on the Leafs website, as well..)

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
That's what always got me about this tournament; you'd THINK teams would use it to gauge the abilities of their prospects. The Leafs and the Habs always have, but Ottawa seems to treat it as an opportunity to have their pros destroy Leaf and Hab prospects so their fans can gloat about it...

The Pens did the same, which is why I'm kind of glad they're not in it this year...

Edit: Just to point out, I'm not arguing that pros have no business in this tournament; if you have an abundance of older pros, you're obviously going to be sending them. I'm talking about Ottawa basically sending the Binghamton Senators and Pittsburgh sending the WBS Penguins SPECIFICALLY to dominate this tournament...

or maybe they wanted to take the opportunity to better evaluate who might actually have a chance to make there NHL club vs seeing guys who really don't have much of a chance and you know are going back to junior.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The traverse city tournament has 8 teams in, and we only get 3 teams with 2 games. Pretty dumb.

ive got a feeling they will get another team next year, Pittsburgh may have pulled out too late to organize another team (who hadn't already committed to another tournament).

I think each division should play their in division teams and rotate the location each year. Keeps the rivalries in tact and every team plays the same amount of games. But they aren't NHL events I don't think I think teams just organize themselves, so very unlikely

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
ive got a feeling they will get another team next year, Pittsburgh may have pulled out too late to organize another team (who hadn't already committed to another tournament).

I think each division should play their in division teams and rotate the location each year. Keeps the rivalries in tact and every team plays the same amount of games. But they aren't NHL events I don't think I think teams just organize themselves, so very unlikely

If Quebec ever gets a team again that would be a nice little 4 team tourney.
We'll see. Not sure why Buffalo doesn't join the group.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If Quebec ever gets a team again that would be a nice little 4 team tourney.
We'll see. Not sure why Buffalo doesn't join the group.

maybe have a "Canada cup" get all the Canadian teams in one tourney, that's pretty much what the traverse city one is in terms of 8 teams. Could move it through different cities each year maybe rogers could turn it into something

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Five Maple Leafs rookies to watch

The Leafs’ annual rookie tournament, which will help decide which newcomers make the NHL roster this season, opens Friday at Ricoh Coliseum.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2017/09/07/five-maple-leafs-rookies-to-watch.html

Five players to watch at the Maple Leafs’Maple Leafs’ rookie tournament, starting Friday at Ricoh Coliseum:

D Timothy Liljegren, 18

The Maple Leafs’ top pick in this year’s draft is a long shot to catapult from this camp to the NHL roster right away. The Swedish defenceman was highly regarded at 17, though, despite a bad draft year due to a bout of mono. The Leafs believe they got a steal. As a first-round pick, the glare will be stronger on him than the rest.

F Carl Grundstrom, 19

The 57th overall pick in 2016 was a force to be reckoned in the AHL playoffs, arriving after his Swedish team was eliminated. He skates, checks and scores, and is generally worth the price of admission. He plays like Leo Komarov.

F Jeremy Bracco, 20

The American winger is coming off a 93-point OHL season with Windsor and Kitchener, winning a Memorial Cup with the Spitfires and world junior gold with the United States. The 61st overall pick from 2015 is heading into his first season as a pro. Undersized, he plays a bit like Mitch Marner.

D Travis Dermott, 21

The Newmarket native made strides last year in his first season as a pro with the AHL’s Marlies and ought to dominate the blue line this weekend as a veteran. The Leafs think very highly of Dermott — the 34th overall pick in 2015 — and with that comes high expectations. There are holes on the Leafs blue line and Dermott has to show he can make the leap.

G Kasimir Kaskisuo, 23

The goalie from Espoo, Finland, moved up the depth charts with a stellar performance in the AHL Calder Cup playoffs last season. He took over the job because of injuries to Antoine Bibeau and Garret Sparks and never gave it back. Bibeau is now a San Jose Shark. Kaskisuo, a free agent signing out of college in 2016, will battle Sparks for Marlies’ top job.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
maybe have a "Canada cup" get all the Canadian teams in one tourney, that's pretty much what the traverse city one is in terms of 8 teams. Could move it through different cities each year maybe rogers could turn it into something

I like that idea. An all Canadian matchup with a yearly host city. It could have already started while we are waiting for training camps to open. Gives us hockey a little earlier while we wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad