Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Montreal vs Ottawa Rookie Tournament Thread

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Anyone else get frustrated with our bench management on the D? A bunch of raw projects, keep the pairs static and players on their proper sides, rotate the 7th D with the 3rd pairing of the same hand.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
we always shoot first, we always loose in SO....maybe try shooting last?... any way you look at it brutal third period both games, loose in SO.... lmao so typical Leafs.....but some players did look good. Lily, Dermott, Gordeev, Grundy, Timashov, Scott.....

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I disagree...he generates nothing on offense. Just a gritty, straight-line player who finishes his checks...not much to write home about.

Sounds like Bryan Rust.

Players who can skate, have great motors and dont have cement for hands have places in the NHL nowadays.

He'll play in the league for someone.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Nielsen and Timashov were the most underwhelming players to me tonight, relative to expectations. Nielsen in particular, was pretty horrible.

Liljegren was pretty good. He had some great moments, particularly running the PP. He didn't really have the same jittery moments in his first game- where it's clear he was just getting used to the NA ice + clearly not used to the loose game + low quality of play.

Dermott was pretty good all night. One bad pinch that led to a odd man rush. Though that pinch is on him, the pass to set him up was terrible and set him up poorly regardless.

Hoburg was the player of the game. He played lights out all night, into O.T, and into the shootout.

Grundstrom was probably our best player. He tried to set up in his teammates on the cycle and they couldn't do much with his short passes...you could tell he's used to playing with better players (SHL). He created some great plays all by himself which led to some great scoring chances.

He has 2 goals in 2 games and has drawn some penalties

You may have a point there in terms of projecting him more favorably as a bottom 6, utility player. Maybe my expectations were not align with his skill-set. Still, I thought the other forwards (besides Grundstrom, maybe Bracco, and Dzierks- for his role) were underwhelming.

Timashov in particular is a guy with serious tunnel vision. Hasn't changed since last season with the Marlies but admittedly, I'm going off a one game sample size.

Our C depth this entire exhibition was pretty horrid as well...almost no impact up the middle. We are spoiled on the big team.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Remember last year's rookie tournament, and how instructive it was? Ya, me neither.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
You just described JVR..

I could at least understand if you have a little person bias, but that's not even what this is.

???

Are you suggesting that JVR and Bracco are similar players? I don't know what you're getting at.

I'm not opposed to small players, but I do think that small players need to make up for their size disadvantage by having above average speed, and a good motor.

I don't see either of those things in Bracco's game. Bracco does have great vision, edgework, hands and passing ability... but thats just about it. This alone will not translate to the NHL IMO.

JVR does not have a size disadvantage, and is a different type of player... He has the great net presence and has a good instinct at putting the puck in the net... JVR wins more puck battles than Bracco IMO. Completely different players...

Why didn't the Leafs send out a shooter in round 2?

I'm sorry you've got me wrong... I tried to keep my eyes on Bracco for much of the game (while pre-occupied with work). When Bracco has space, he's a very effective player. I'm not shy to say so... Where Bracco seems less effective is his 5v5 play (and most hockey games tend to be played 5v5).

I'm actually kind of surprised so many people are so adimant that I'm wrong about this...

Like I've said a few times now, I'm a Leafs fan first and foremost and wish the best for all our prospects. I'm just concerned Bracco doesn't have what it takes to make the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
baby leafs like big leafs; blow third period lead and can't score in the shootout.

Leafs are trying development their prospects so they can seamlessly come up and contribute immediately without noticing any difference.;)

Kidding aside, despite the collapse leafs played a much better game today than Friday.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Liljegren is so smooth on his skates...makes everything look easy..he seems to glide around the ice while the others have to work so hard...as an 18 year old who missed almost an entire year, all he need is experience.
Grundstom and Dermott looked like NHL quality to me..
Some of those big defencemen are so green it's hard to project what they will be down the line.
None of the other forwards impressed me....

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Bracco is pretty ineffective a lot of the time. If he ends up being a Top 6 player on the Leafs, something has gone wrong.

Grundstrom is the only forward here that excites me.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
JVR is really nothing like Bracco.

Bracco isn't going to be able to stand in front of the opponent's net and score a whole bunch of garbage goals in the NHL.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Bracco is pretty ineffective a lot of the time. If he ends up being a Top 6 player on the Leafs, something has gone wrong.

Bracco is eventually going to be a top line player for pretty much every team.

So do you expect the Leafs to have an All-Star team line up?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Dermott - Liljegren was excellent. Gordeev was surprisingly good.
-
I've liked what I've seen from Marchment, Dzierkals and Piccinich and am hoping they play a good amount of games with the Marlies.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Bracco is eventually going to be a top line player for pretty much every team.

So do you expect the Leafs to have an All-Star team line up?

Invisible other than on the PP. I've been a big fan especially since he ended up on Kitchener, but he leaves a lot to be desired. I think he'll have a tough time against full AHL lineups this year, but he does have time on his side.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

He has his moments where he's dangerous, in open ice, with his skating style. He basically skates sideways...but forward, with his head up, you don't know what he's going to do.

The problem is, in 5 on 5 at this pace, those moments of open ice are few and far-between.

He needs to find usage when the game is tighter.....play with more compete and work harder on loose pucks/puck battles.

That's the difference between Grundstrom and Bracco. Grundstrom has some degree of talent/skill (as evidenced by his ability to make short-quick passes in tight space with limited time to generate scoring chances....or his dangle off of nothing)...but he actually competes hard on every fore-check/back-check. He's always impactful...almost all-game long.

Bracco's game right now...he's a bit of a floater. And he's not good enough, right now, to rely solely on being a floater.

He has the tools. Not really tracking terribly either. He needs some time in the AHL.

EDIT: I should add, I thought McGregor looked pretty good, relative to expectations.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
He has his moments where he's dangerous, in open ice, with his skating style. He basically skates sideways...but forward, with his head up, you don't know what he's going to do.

The problem is, in 5 on 5 at this pace, those moments of open ice are few and far-between.

He needs to find usage when the game is tighter.....play with more compete and work harder on loose pucks/puck battles.

That's the difference between Grundstrom and Bracco. Grundstrom has some degree of talent/skill (as evidenced by his ability to make short-quick passes in tight space with limited time to generate scoring chances....or his dangle off of nothing)...but he actually competes hard on every fore-check/back-check. He's always impactful...almost all-game long.

Bracco's game right now...he's a bit of a floater. And he's not good enough, right now, to rely solely on being a floater.

He has the tools. Not really tracking terribly either. He needs some time in the AHL.

This is a fairly good synopsis :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad