Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Lightning-well lets see what we have

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Not sure about Kap with JT, that hasn’t worked before. We need a fresh look short term though, so support Keefe trying something.

If I remember correctly before Soup man got hurt, JT/Marner/Soupy were a pretty good line, my bet when he comes back the forward lines are gonna be

hyman/34/will
soup/jt/marner
kappy/kerfoot/engvall
clifford/goat/spezza

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree. And that's my point though, why would a young player put himself in that position when he can sign in a smaller market? Erik Karlsson for example went to San Jose. He has a massive contract and he's away from the putrid media. Sucks that their top-2 centers were injured all year long, otherwise they'd be in the playoffs as well.

I'm just saying. It's no surprise we've had difficulty signing big-name UFAs in the past.

For hockey, Toronto is the hardest city to play in (in terms of pressure from fans and media). It's even worse for the younger generation for sure. I'm sure it's getting worse for young soccer players as well.

I bet you if you went onto Karlsson's social media it would be a blood bath as well, people don't react well to highly paid players underperforming no matter where you are

We got Tavares and guys like Spezza to come here on the cheap, if the team is good and management is solid and stable players will want to play for you

Toronto has plusses and minuses like most destinations, I do know that if you win in Toronto you will be treated like a God, hell even guys that didn't win are treated like God's and the money after your career ends can't hurt either

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Well they should come out much harder than when we last beat them, and if we want this at all we will too, so it should be good

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Tavares
Marner - Nylander - Matthews
Rielly

Kerfoot
Kapanen - Hyman - Spezza
Barrie

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I've got all that **** on my phone, but I know what it is and how bad it can be for your mental health if you can't deal with the **** your going to get no matter who you are, so I act accordingly

If you don't like it don't look at it, if you do that's a you problem

If your a high level professional athlete no matter where you play or sport your involved in social media will sewer you if you or your team aren't performing, I lived in the UK for years and Toronto is pew wee's play house by comparison on how players are treated and talked about

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
No Stamkos, Tampa can't catch Boston, this will be much more telling if Leafs lose. On a happier note, much better for the Leafs to play Tampa in the 1st round than Boston.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Tavares
Marner - Nylander - Matthews
Rielly

Kerfoot
Kapanen - Hyman - Spezza
Barrie
Just meh, Rielly is not for the first PP unit. But for the second, he be aaaight. Keefe knows this and knew this and that was his first move when he became our new headcoach. So don't even expect that to change.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
“The biggest thing for me, at this time of year especially, is just his voice, his presence around the team, in the locker room, on the bench,” said coach Sheldon Keefe of Rielly.
“We don’t have a lot of guys that I would say are guys that really are the vocal ones, the kind that push and get you going. If you were to ask me who the leaders are in that regard, I would say Rielly and Muzzin are the guys that are the most vocal for us in terms of kind of pushing our team.”

We need Tavares to start being vocal on the bench and not sit there glum faced when things are going wrong.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
We got Mitch and his muffin shot on the left boards while the Bruins, Bolts and Caps have Pasta, OV and Stammer. Why it took the coaches 69 games to see this beats me.

Probably ran out of ideas and now reads these boards for amazing clues.:)

We all know that this team is a Frankenstein's breakfast, spare parts come first with instructions following in the mail two years later.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
No Stamkos, Tampa can't catch Boston, this will be much more telling if Leafs lose. On a happier note, much better for the Leafs to play Tampa in the 1st round than Boston.

If we could beat Tampa I would kind of like our chances against boston

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
As soon as rielly gets his legs back, he's gotta go back on the first pp unit. Guy was one of the best last year. I know barrie brings nothing but pp capability however it's time to put the team ahead of an individual.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I expect a rather easy 5-2 like win. Hedman is out. Tampa knows where they are at now. They will try to outskill us and they won't. I know we won't do it in 4 games but I expect Tampa will get a win or two in our playoff matchup.
No such thing as an easy win with our Leafs. If it existed, our Leafs should have come home from their California road trip with at least 5 points!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Let’s see what we have?

We know what we have.

An inconsistent bubble team capable of inspiring victories and legendary blow outs.

Reactions: egd27

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
He does know what he is doing. Some people just don't agree with it.
I really hope he does my friend. I had so much faith in him and defended him blindly for so long. I just fail to find logic now ... why didn't he make a move at the deadline? We had to sell or buy ... not just stay. I could have made his deadline deals ... and I suck!

Reactions: MJK and lottster14

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I really hope he does my friend. I had so much faith in him and defended him blindly for so long. I just fail to find logic now ... why didn't he make a move at the deadline? We had to sell or buy ... not just stay. I could have made his deadline deals ... and I suck!
You need to get the right value. You can't just sell players for whatever you can get, and the price was likely too high to buy.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
“The biggest thing for me, at this time of year especially, is just his voice, his presence around the team, in the locker room, on the bench,” said coach Sheldon Keefe of Rielly.
“We don’t have a lot of guys that I would say are guys that really are the vocal ones, the kind that push and get you going. If you were to ask me who the leaders are in that regard, I would say Rielly and Muzzin are the guys that are the most vocal for us in terms of kind of pushing our team.”

We need Tavares to start being vocal on the bench and not sit there glum faced when things are going wrong.

It's fine to have a different leadership style. He may be the type to lead by example. Although if that's the case I'm hoping he kicks into a higher gear during the stretch + playoffs (if we make it).

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
LOL
Yeah that 2 mill total overpay is destroying the team
We could have Matt Martin!!!!!
I would LOVE Martin instead of Engvall/Kerfoot/Malgin/Johnsson/Kapanen/Petan/etc...
Martin instead of any of our soft unproductive one demensional pretty boys would be a big upgrade.
At least Martin plays like a Man.

Reactions: Legendary and MJK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad