Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - MOD WARNING POST #816

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
This Columbus team battled through a lot of adversity to get to where they are. Not only did they lose a bunch of key players in free agency, but they lost the most man-games to injuries of any team in the NHL this season (including some really key players), and still managed to hold on to the playoff race in spite of this.

The book on them is pretty clear. One of the top defensive teams in the league, but they struggle to produce offense. This is clear in their special teams as well...great PK, not so great on the PP. They play a 'high-event' game in terms of penalties, taking & drawing a lot, which is the opposite of Toronto's game.

The one thing that I like in Toronto's favour could potentially be the goaltending matchup, but goaltending is such a wildcard, especially after a 3+ month break. A big reason that Columbus stayed afloat so long was because out of nowhere, Korpisalo & Merzilkins was perhaps the best goalie duo in the league, and then come February, they started to fall back down to earth. In contrast, Andersen has historically been a solid goalie, but was among the league's worst, until he seemed to finally be regaining his game over the last couple weeks. Who knows who will show up in net in a short, five game series, but if Andersen regains his usual form, and the Columbus doesn't get miracle goaltending, I like Toronto's chances a lot.

The big question for me isn't physicality...it is whether or not Toronto can play solid enough defense and manage the puck well. Realistically, keeping Columbus from scoring shouldn't be an issue. However, if Toronto starts getting frustrated by Columbus' solid defense, and taking too many risks or losing their composure with the puck, the Jackets have enough skill to with the likes of Atkinson, Nyquist, Dubois, & Bjorkstrand to make us pay.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think that all four of these play in series are completely up in the air. What teams did before this season doesn't matter at all. How they adjust to the new circumstances and how well they come prepared to play does matter. What players return unprepared? What players lose focus? Can the Leafs' do a better job of digging deep mentally? I have my doubts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They finished 20th in hits/game this year. So they aren't really finishing many more checks than the Leafs are.
I can only go by watching the teams play. Leafs are notorious for not finishing their checks, the BJ's never gave me that impression.
I'll assume you don't agree.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Just a random thought regarding the television broadcast quality assuming the NHL moves forward with the proposed playoff format...

I watched bits of a Bundesliga match last weekend and there was digital background crowd noise added to the broadcast. It was actually much more enjoyable to watch than the previous week where it was so quiet that you could hear the players and coaches.

I hope that Sportsnet figures out a way to do something comparable for the NHL playoff broadcasts.
They should "green screen" the stands and superimpose fans into the TV broadcast, while adding fan noise as you suggest.

Reactions: Clark4Ever and zeke

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Regardless, usually the team throwing hits, is the team chasing the puck.

Anyways, both Columbus and physicality in general, are over stated.
That's true, Leafs are more of a possession team.
I probably don't watch Columbus as much as you do but I always found them to be a physical team.
Here's to hoping your view is the correct one. Hard to see the Leafs losing if they match up physically.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
TBH, I think #2 is the best spot to be in under the bracket system, while #3 is not too bad either. I don't think Carolina/Florida/Islanders are nearly as much of a pain as the Leafs/Pens, and Columbus can probably give one of those top 4 teams as good of a run for their money as Carolina/New York/Florida can too (if they beat us).

TOR and PIT have legitimate chances of beating any (or multiple) top 4 teams in a series, while I think Carolina/Florida/Islanders have the gear to upset the first team they face after the play-in, but won't be able to get through the second or third required to make the Cup Finals. They all had some good runs, but they were also very lucky with injuries throughout the year and the best they could manage was scraping together a record about as good as the Leafs (who had injury, coaching and goaltending woes), and a record far worse than their division-rival Pens, who were absolutely decimated by injuries all year. A team like Boston, Tampa or Washington should be able to get through a Carolina/Florida/Islanders with little concern, although Washington and Tampa lost to weaker teams last year so they better get their heads on straight this time around.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Regardless, usually the team throwing hits, is the team chasing the puck.

Anyways, both Columbus and physicality in general, are over stated.
Also the Leafs just don't seem to care about throwing hits until the playoffs come around, which is fine. Last year they were 29th with 17.2 hits/60 in the regular season, and ended up 7th with 35.6 hits/60 in the playoffs

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Just a random thought regarding the television broadcast quality assuming the NHL moves forward with the proposed playoff format...

I watched bits of a Bundesliga match last weekend and there was digital background crowd noise added to the broadcast. It was actually much more enjoyable to watch than the previous week where it was so quiet that you could hear the players and coaches.

I hope that Sportsnet figures out a way to do something comparable for the NHL playoff broadcasts.
I'd like a PPV option with open mics, no crowd noises and the spittin' chiclets crew calling the game.

Reactions: LeafChief

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What’s being overlooked is the fact that early season D is sloppy and most games end up being a shootout early on.

With a 4 month break with limited gym and ice time most players are in worse shape than they would be to start a season. Offence is always there, D And physicality takes half a season for teams to tighten up. This break might bode well for the Leafs with only 21 games max to the SC.

The major X factor is how much playoff intensity factors in.

Andersen as well. He takes time to get into a groove, and he never really found a groove at all this year. We are screwed if Andersen plays like he did, even though the rest of our team is good enough to win a Cup.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I watch a ton of obscure European junior leagues and tournaments for scouting, where they don't often have much of a crowd presence, so I am used to it. It's really not as bad as you think. You can hear how the players communicate for once.

Reactions: LeafChief

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Also the Leafs just don't seem to care about throwing hits until the playoffs come around, which is fine. Last year they were 29th with 17.2 hits/60 in the regular season, and ended up 7th with 35.6 hits/60 in the playoffs

Exactly, even the Blues (last years SC winner) who everyone loves to hold up as some shining example of physicality, aren't that physical either. They wear teams down with their puck possession game, something the Leafs do as well, albeit in different ways.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
We should win this in 4 games, we're clearly the better team imo. Only way this should end up close is if Freddy really struggles

Reactions: stickty111

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Gonna take some time for the players to get back into game shape and mentality. Not a fan of 24 playin type playoffs and wanted to see a pt% based playoffs. Still will watch and cheer for the leafs but I'm gonna try and not hold this year performances in this insane setup against the players/coaches/managment. Hopefully covid 19 is a distant memory come April 2021 and we can see how this team will perform when we have a true nhl playoffs.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
We needs our hard nosed suckas doing dirt against these. Hyman and Clifford for example will have bigger roles than ever. Y'all already know how that foligno jenner line will be pounding our dolls down.... in every shift. These is some big, heavy nosed players. Glad we have hyman.

Torts plays dirty. Imagine if that sucka has his favourite player dubinsky also back in this. I can assure, we'll have trouble against these type of players. They play real dirty, every shift, all night long.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hopefully this team is ready to take playoffs seriously and go in with a nasty chip on their damn shoulders to a man. FI or FO we need will power from everyone.
Critical analysis for every coming from me. They better be prepared to fight for every inch of ice and get their nose dirty for us or they can get the hell out ;)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We needs our hard nosed suckas doing dirt against these. Hyman and Clifford for example will have bigger roles than ever. Y'all already know how that foligno jenner line will be pounding our dolls down.... in every shift. These is some big, heavy nosed players. Glad we have hyman.

Torts plays dirty. Imagine if that sucka has his favourite player dubinsky also back in this. I can assure, we'll have trouble against these type of players. They play real dirty, every shift, all night long.
Hopefully we get regular season reffing ... interference must get called otherwise we will have a hard time breaking through da trap if we can withstand da hard 2 man forecheck ... look for Rielly to excel ... he has learned how to do it past few seasons against Bruins forecheck and this year getting every puck with Barrie

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This Columbus team battled through a lot of adversity to get to where they are. Not only did they lose a bunch of key players in free agency, but they lost the most man-games to injuries of any team in the NHL this season (including some really key players), and still managed to hold on to the playoff race in spite of this.

The book on them is pretty clear. One of the top defensive teams in the league, but they struggle to produce offense. This is clear in their special teams as well...great PK, not so great on the PP. They play a 'high-event' game in terms of penalties, taking & drawing a lot, which is the opposite of Toronto's game.

The one thing that I like in Toronto's favour could potentially be the goaltending matchup, but goaltending is such a wildcard, especially after a 3+ month break. A big reason that Columbus stayed afloat so long was because out of nowhere, Korpisalo & Merzilkins was perhaps the best goalie duo in the league, and then come February, they started to fall back down to earth. In contrast, Andersen has historically been a solid goalie, but was among the league's worst, until he seemed to finally be regaining his game over the last couple weeks. Who knows who will show up in net in a short, five game series, but if Andersen regains his usual form, and the Columbus doesn't get miracle goaltending, I like Toronto's chances a lot.

The big question for me isn't physicality...it is whether or not Toronto can play solid enough defense and manage the puck well. Realistically, keeping Columbus from scoring shouldn't be an issue. However, if Toronto starts getting frustrated by Columbus' solid defense, and taking too many risks or losing their composure with the puck, the Jackets have enough skill to with the likes of Atkinson, Nyquist, Dubois, & Bjorkstrand to make us pay.

I am pretty sure Pittsburgh had it a lot worse... They lost literally their entire core except maybe Letang to serious injuries (as in like 20+ games) this year. The Leafs had it pretty bad too. Columbus lost Jones, Bjorkstrand and Atkinson, which is a huge blow, but they still had most of their team together for much of the year.

Leafs had their fair share of adversity. In additions to injuries, they also had the coaching change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad