GDT: Leafs vs. Habs (7:30 ET on RDS, TSN 2 & 4) Lines on Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Doubt it as he would have to clear waivers and I don't think he would
The kid just doesn't have "IT" imo. It's just not clicking for him and we should see some glimpses by now. Could be a late bloomer I guess, but time is running out

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Schlemko has been pretty good this camp - even drew unprompted praise from CJ his last game.

Benn is the one in trouble.

He can also play either the left or right side which helps his cause. I find he gets underrated and shouldn't be grouped with terrible guys like Alzner/Benn, he was a solid D in San Jose and last year was simply a write-off for him having missed most of training camp and the start of the year.

Reactions: Belial

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Daily reminder that we used an expansion protection slot on Jordie Benn lololol.

That move pissed me off. I know how unpopular Beaulieu was but at least he could skate, had size and was physical, and he could shoot and pass the puck. This is what happens when we lose in the 1st round and our GM starts attacking certain players. What a mess of an off season in 2017!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He can also play either the left or right side which helps his cause. I find he gets underrated and shouldn't be grouped with terrible guys like Alzner/Benn, he was a solid D in San Jose and last year was simply a write-off for him having missed most of training camp and the start of the year.
Agreed - but I also think the coaching/management staff have misevaluated him.

He can be useful as a 3rd pair Dman...anything more, and you're going to be disappointed IMO.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
you do realize toronto just signed the biggest FA of the modern era this summer in years right?

you can sit there say "so what, he only replaces JVRs goals" all you want but JT does more then that, he makes his entire line better, Marner will be better, JT is good defensively, etc etc.....there is more to it then what you see on a damn piece of paper,

odds makers are not a bunch of beer drinking drunks sitting at a bar, they are highly educated professionals,

they don't just randomly put toronto at the top of the odds list for little or no reason,

2018-19 Stanley Cup odds: Tavares to Toronto changes everything

Last season:

Odds to win the 2018 Stanley Cup

Nothing is perfect. I agree signing Tavares is big but losing JVR is like losing a Pacioretty type player(even if I think max is better). Losing bozak too.

You act like they added and lost nothing. They gained overall but not as much as you think.

It’s like Oilers year before where odds makers had them #2 on list.

I think Toronto will feast on shit division that has us and Ottawa. With Florida and buffalo still trying to establish themselves as playoff teams. Easy cruise to playoffs until they meet other division or Tampa in ours.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That move pissed me off. I know how unpopular Beaulieu was but at least he could skate, had size and was physical, and he could shoot and pass the puck. This is what happens when we lose in the 1st round and our GM starts attacking certain players. What a mess of an off season in 2017!
You could of stopped describing Beaulieu after "at least he could skate".

He couldn't shoot, had poor awareness, doesn't take his job very seriously and....he needed a new contract.

Beaulieu is a more mobile version of Benn...he's just younger. They're both fringe NHL dmen,

When you take into consideration their salaries

Benn @ 1.1M
Beaulieu @ 2.4M

I think they made the "right" choice

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
And the guy we lost for him is a pylon that is now playing in the KHL, what's your point?

You seem to have a pretty great understanding of my point: namely, that Bergevin had put us in the position wherein Benn was even an consideration for a protection slot. That the sum total of his efforts to that point was that Jordie Benn was conceivably among the 7 best skaters on our team.

I was just reminding people here of that fact.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He couldn't shoot, had poor awareness, doesn't take his job very seriously and....he needed a new contract.

Beaulieu is a more mobile version of Benn...he's just younger. They're both fringe NHL dmen,

Benn @ 1.1M
Beaulieu @ 2.4M

I believe in the potential with Beaulieu vs the over achieving Benn in one playoff run. How did they make the right choice? They lost Beaulieu and Markov and then gravitated to Alzner and his terrible contract. If Benn was the right choice, they would of believed he could be a good fit with Petry and not went after Alzner.

Benn is a depth defenseman on our team. Beaulieu was not a terrible partner for Petry. We should of let Benn go, and kept Emelin, Markov, and Beaulieu. And this is not hindsight evaluation... it's what I wanted prior to the expansion draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: VAN-HAB

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I believe in the potential with Beaulieu vs the over achieving Benn in one playoff run. How did they make the right choice? They lost Beaulieu and Markov and then gravitated to Alzner and his terrible contract.

Benn is a depth defenseman on our team. Beaulieu was not a terrible partner for Petry. We should of let Benn go, and kept Emelin, Markov, and Beaulieu.
Markov has nothing to do with this debate IMO.

Given the choice to protect Benn or Beaulieu.

I'll begrudgingly take Benn.

I was never a Beaulieu fan and the fact he needed a new contract after he would of been protected, and he actually ended up signing for 2.4M.

Pass...I wouldn't be surprised to see both on waivers in the coming days

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Benn @ 1.1M
Beaulieu @ 2.4M

Schlemko/Benn vs Beaulieu/Lernout

Vets over youth. All pretty mediocre.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Markov has nothing to do with this debate IMO.

Given the choice to protect Benn or Beaulieu.

I'll begrudgingly take Benn.

I was never a Beaulieu fan and the fact he needed a new contract after he would of been protected, and he actually ended up signing for 2.4M.

Pass...I wouldn't be surprised to see both on waivers in the coming days

I prefer Beaulieu over Benn myself. But yeah, we both agree they are nothing to brag about.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs average height is 1 " less than leafs .average weight is .5 lbs less yhan leafs.yup ,,habs are too small.

Small is not terrible. Soft is. Gallagher is small but tough as nails. Patch was big but soft. We do have a group of forwards that are the soft types and have a hard time winning puck battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad