Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Reilly-Petry
Mete-Juulsen
Schlemko-Benn

No Alzner or Ouellet tonight...

Assuming Alzner is a lock, this looks like Benn's last chance to make an impression tonight.

Schlemko and Benn both need to step it up. They are acting like Vets who think they have an automatic spot.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
:facepalm:

hockey is a team game......you can't just compare one player to one player

do you follow the sport at all??

why didn't washington finish ahead of the leafs last regular season then?....going by your logic here, they should have, but didnt

Yeah I follow the sport. Since you do too:

Why didn’t Toronto go further than Washington in the playoffs?

Toronto hasn’t won a round with this team...pump the breaks. They’ll be better but not good enough yet.

As for Washington, you do realize they’re in harder division? You do realize they haven’t gotten every summer off like the leafs?

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Reilly-Petry
Mete-Juulsen
Schlemko-Benn

Assuming Alzner is a lock, this looks like Benn's last chance to make an impression tonight.
It's about time he has some competition. I know it's the same players as last year outside of Ouellet but there were some stretches where there was no reason he should have been getting ice time last year.

Reactions: 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No Armia tonight...

I'd like to see Scherbak given a real opportunity to play with Drouin & Kotkaniemi.

Although, who am I kidding, i'm sure we'll see Michael Chaput on the top line.

Honestly if it worked with Drouin-Kotkanimei-Scherbak it would be huge. Scherbak is not at a point where he can lead his own line. But, he played well with Galchneyuk last year - finishing plays after Galchenyuk created some offense.

Also, this would free up Domi to help the 3rd line.

Reactions: 417

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No Armia, no Peca, no Ouellet.

I'm thinking it's Agostino's and Chaput's last game before they get cut, put on waivers, hopefully clear and head to Laval.

I'm also hoping Després just gets released.

As for Benn, Schlemko, and Alzner, I could be wrong, but I'm thinking Habs may want to see how they do to see if they belong or if the organization decides to move one or two of them.

12jf54

Jun 20, 2006
Reilly-Petry
Mete-Juulsen
Schlemko-Benn

I could see Benn & Scherbak being packaged to a team like Vancouver, Ottawa, NYR or Phoenix for a half decent 18-19 year old project.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
No Armia, no Peca, no Ouellet.

I'm thinking it's Agostino's and Chaput's last game before they get cut, put on waivers, hopefully clear and head to Laval.

I'm also hoping Després just gets released.

As for Benn, Schlemko, and Alzner, I could be wrong, but I'm thinking Habs may want to see how they do to see if they belong or if the organization decides to move one or two of them.
Or three. You forgot the three. Very important.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It will be nice to see some of the young guys against an NHL lineup..and a good one at that. At this point i don't care about winning, as we probably won't be winning very often this year- But I do want to see the young guys progress. This is pretty much all i'm looking forward to this year. I don't care if we lose games as long as our young players make it exciting and give us something to look forward to.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Yeah I follow the sport. Since you do too:

Why didn’t Toronto go further than Washington in the playoffs?

Toronto hasn’t won a round with this team...pump the breaks. They’ll be better but not good enough yet.

As for Washington, you do realize they’re in harder division? You do realize they haven’t gotten every summer off like the leafs?

you do realize toronto just signed the biggest FA of the modern era this summer in years right?

you can sit there and say "so what, he only replaces JVRs goals" all you want but JT does more then that, he makes his entire line better, he makes the entire team better, Marner will be better playing with him, JT is good defensively, etc etc.....there is more to it then what you see on a damn piece of paper,

odds makers are not a bunch of beer drinking drunks sitting at a bar, they are highly educated professionals,

they don't just randomly put toronto at the top of the odds list for little or no reason,

toronto came within one game of beating washington two years ago.....toronto have improved since then

2018-19 Stanley Cup odds: Tavares to Toronto changes everything

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rielly is a decent #1 D-man. Put up 50 points and is more than decent in his own zone. Would rather Rielly than Weber at this point in time.

Gardiner is an offensive defenseman. You compared him to Beaulieu but he put up 50 points last season. Despite his defensive flaws, if you can have 50 points on your 2nd pair you take it. We have nobody like him on our team and would kill to have that mobility and offence on the back-end. Reilly doesnt cut it.

Zaitsev is like their Petry. If they have Zaitsev from last season theyre in trouble. Zaitsev from his rookie season is basically Petry.

Hainsey is better than any of Alzner, Benn or Schlemko. In a perfect world he wouldn't be in the top 4 but it is what it is.

Dermott IMO is better than Juulsen and more well rounded than Mete. Although I can see some people;e prefer Mete.

Take your pick. Both D are average at best.

Weber < Reilly. I would agree based on age but the production you get from Weber on the PP with his goal scoring threat and physcial and smart play in his own end should not be overlooked. Reilly was -4 last year. 2nd worse on the team. He is not as good defensibly as most realize. The better overall defenseman is clearly Weber but when you factor in age, it changes the value by a lot. Weber is around for 4 or 5 more years and I don't see his game changing much. The value is close for these two different type players but edge to Reilly for the age gap.

Petry > Zaitsev. It's close but Petry is more consistent. Hard to predict what version of Zaitsev they will get this year. If he continues to struggle, that contract will be a problem! At least he was a +8 in 26 games last year. I suspect injuries affected his play and he rebounds this year.

Hainsey = Alzner. I know how unpopular Alzner is but he looks worse cause of how much the puck is in our own end. There is a major difference is puck possession and time in the offensive end between the Habs and Leafs. That needs to be considered. Hainsey on our roster last year would look very similar to Alzner.

Dermott = Mete. It's close. Maybe Dermott gets the edge cause he is older and has a bit of more development time in a better system.

Juulsen = Lilegren. Another close debate. Edge to Juulsen cause he is closer to NHL ready. Lilegren had 17 pts in 44 AHL games last year. 2 pts in 7 world junior games.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Reilly-Petry
Mete-Juulsen
Schlemko-Benn

I would love to see these pairings. But Julien sticks with line combos and d pairings that just don't work.

I think he'll have

Benn-Petry (yuck - would much rather Reilly-Petry)
Mete-Juulsen
Schlemko-Reilly (I'd take Ouellet over Schlemko and Benn)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Schlemko has been pretty good this camp - even drew unprompted praise from CJ his last game.

Benn is the one in trouble.

It was my gut feeling heading into camp that we should cut ties with Benn.... Can't believe we protected him in the last expansion draft.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I would love to see these pairings. But Julien sticks with line combos and d pairings that just don't work.

I think he'll have

Benn-Petry (yuck - would much rather Reilly-Petry)
Mete-Juulsen
Schlemko-Reilly (I'd take Ouellet over Schlemko and Benn)
The only way Benn sticks at this point IMO, is if the Habs go with 8D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad