Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Not sure what your point is.
The article was talking about how Columbus plays the zone so Dubois isn't too concerned about our offense, but near the end they talk about the size of their defense as if that is why they're good. Every team has a few tall d-men so I was making fun of that claim.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Day off and then one last day for independent media to ask questions/ have access to teams.

Should be interesting to see how the Leafs fair on a level media circus playing field. I guess they will still read tweets and articles on their phones, but it might be refreshing not to have to see faces like Steve Simmons for a while. I’m all for this.

Reactions: kb

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
This is really dumb. They have the Leafs and Jackets in the same hotel, could they not separate the teams that are facing each other in the 2 hotels. Can't do that with the top 4 teams in the round robin, but I highly doubt those will cause bad blood, considering it's only 1 game each. You could then move the teams around after to keep them apart.

Reactions: TML1967

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
For those of you that are about to combust because Andersen let in a few goals in some scrimmages:

Today's CBJ scrimmage. Tight defense.

Wow, what a killer offense they have that can score like that against Columbus defense

Sarcasm

Reactions: Heritage

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This is really dumb. They have the Leafs and Jackets in the same hotel, could they not separate the teams that are facing each other in the 2 hotels. Can't do that with the top 4 teams in the round robin, but I highly doubt those will cause bad blood, considering it's only 1 game each. You could then move the teams around after to keep them apart.

They put the top 5 teams in the nicer hotel.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Day off and then one last day for independent media to ask questions/ have access to teams.

Should be interesting to see how the Leafs fair on a level media circus playing field. I guess they will still read tweets and articles on their phones, but it might be refreshing not to have to see faces like Steve Simmons for a while. I’m all for this.

When Simmons released the Matthews Covid information and the cone of silence descended on him, I remember coming across an article about how the media conglomerate owned Leafs and many other sports entities have been constricting the flow of free information and how that was a challenge to an open and free media. In academic terms this might be true, but it's sports, so I'm not sure the topic needs hard hitting investigative journalism at all times. More applicable to politics and other things where transparency matters. Anywho.

Ed Willes: The story behind the story about Auston Matthews' positive test is bewildering | The Guardian

Reactions: qqaz

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Marchand will probably lick some people

At this point they might as well put cameras in the common areas and turn it into Big Brother.

When a team gets eliminated, is the other team going to sit in the hotel lobby and wave bye as they exit?
I could see a series getting heated and it spilling over after the game.

Reactions: meng666

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Wait I'm confused. So during a normal season, we would have people like Kristen, Hendrick before he left, and I guess Masters updating the twitter world on whats happening in the game, will that not happen either? Or does this just affect the practices and morning skates where we will get no news?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Good point made by Gord Miller on Overdrive - similar to what I said earlier about how the Leafs may get off to a fast start as a speed-based team with fresh legs - that this will feel like October with all the time off ... And typically in October scoring is way up.

For teams like the Leafs that may just translate to producing enough offense that Columbus simply can't match.

Reactions: qqaz

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Good point made by Gord Miller on Overdrive - similar to what I said earlier about how the Leafs may get off to a fast start as a speed-based team with fresh legs - that this will feel like October with all the time off ... And typically in October scoring is way up.

For teams like the Leafs that may just translate to producing enough offense that Columbus simply can't match.
If that happens let's hope we don't have Frederik Andersen playing like it's October when he hasn't had the greatest starts.

Also this was the Leafs 2nd regular season game from October 4, 2019 against Columbus when they won 4-1. So if we see them play like this that will be a positive.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
From Leafs Nation, "Below is a chart comparing regular season and postseason points-per-game for all Leafs players who have played at least 10 playoff games in their careers".
Screen-Shot-2020-07-24-at-2.07.07-AM.png

And with a quick google this somewhat out of date (2014) article from Mirtle when he was with the G&M. It essentially presents the data 'proving' that scoring becomes more difficult in the playoffs, due to increased save % (0.011%) at both equal strength and special teams. Round 2: When the goals go away in the NHL playoffs

My three impressions:
1) While we worry about our D as a group, having Morgan back and seeing Barrie and Dermott all be + players (with Muzz just off his regular season rate) is encouraging.
2) Nylander's improved play this season will hopefully translate well to this post season run.
3) While Tavares continues to score at a level consistent with the drop-off, Matthews experiences a production rate that reflects his usage more from his early years with the team (less TOI/PP usage), while less so under the direction of Keefe. I expect his differential to improve the most dramatically.

Encouraging.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
From Leafs Nation, "Below is a chart comparing regular season and postseason points-per-game for all Leafs players who have played at least 10 playoff games in their careers".
View attachment 355371
And with a quick google this somewhat out of date (2014) article from Mirtle when he was with the G&M. It essentially presents the data 'proving' that scoring becomes more difficult in the playoffs, due to increased save % (0.011%) at both equal strength and special teams. Round 2: When the goals go away in the NHL playoffs

My three impressions:
1) While we worry about our D as a group, having Morgan back and seeing Barrie and Dermott all be + players (with Muzz just off his regular season rate) is encouraging.
2) Nylander's improved play this season will hopefully translate well to this post season run.
3) While Tavares continues to score at a level consistent with the drop-off, Matthews experiences a production rate that reflects his usage more from his early years with the team (less TOI/PP usage), while less so under the direction of Keefe. I expect his differential to improve the most dramatically.

Encouraging.

Matthews is being punished there because his entire playoff history is being checked by Bergeron and Chara.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Matthews is being punished there because his entire playoff history is being checked by Bergeron and Chara.

Last year it was the Tavares/Marner/Hyman #1 line that was drawing the top matchup assignments from the Bruins.

Not Matthews and Johnsson and whatever other plug...

Reactions: Buds17

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The more I look forward to this year version of playoffs, the more I think there will be a few surprises this year till literally the 3rd round or so.
There is the COVID factor where it could literally force a team without their top players. Imagine McDavid and Drai got COVID, and the league insists to play on. Or Sid and Ovie...
Then there is the 4 months rest for all teams, which to me, this is literally like a new season.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Last year it was the Tavares/Marner/Hyman #1 line that was drawing the top matchup assignments from the Bruins.

Not Matthews and Johnsson and whatever other plug...
1. Tavares/marner got bergeron and marchand (mostly pastrnak as well but he switched to line 2 a lot) only and they did nothing offensively. They were brutal offensively. Im pretty sure that they won the first two or so games but lost the series in the end.

2. Matthews still received the best D pair from boston which i believe was combination of carlo/krug/chara. To be honest, the D pair is the most important as they actually face off against the forwards.

3. Due to the above, matthews lit it up last year with goals in almost every game. He pretty much scored all our goals that series.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
The more I look forward to this year version of playoffs, the more I think there will be a few surprises this year till literally the 3rd round or so.
There is the COVID factor where it could literally force a team without their top players. Imagine McDavid and Drai got COVID, and the league insists to play on. Or Sid and Ovie...
Then there is the 4 months rest for all teams, which to me, this is literally like a new season.

Nobody is getting COVID while in the bubble. I don't know why people keep bringing this up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The article was talking about how Columbus plays the zone so Dubois isn't too concerned about our offense, but near the end they talk about the size of their defense as if that is why they're good. Every team has a few tall d-men so I was making fun of that claim.
I don't see the issue.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
When Simmons released the Matthews Covid information and the cone of silence descended on him, I remember coming across an article about how the media conglomerate owned Leafs and many other sports entities have been constricting the flow of free information and how that was a challenge to an open and free media. In academic terms this might be true, but it's sports, so I'm not sure the topic needs hard hitting investigative journalism at all times. More applicable to politics and other things where transparency matters. Anywho.

Ed Willes: The story behind the story about Auston Matthews' positive test is bewildering | The Guardian
Possibly the greatest tweet i've ever seen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad