Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It depends on how Engvall does at center (or if Spezza takes over).

Gauthier is a better center than Engvall, but Engvall is a better overall player.

Really, it is the only combination that Keefe has not tried yet. Robertson sat out. Engvall sat out. It is Gauthier's turn since Spezza and Clifford are likely not sitting out.
Yep nothing is set in stone yet.
We have to give Keefe some credit, he has time to figure out the lineup and he’ll use it.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Gauthier is not playing. It’s easy to pick Engvall to play over him for me. Thats what he gets for refusing to play a brand that keeps him in the league. 240 lbs and won’t go out to destroy opposition makes me question if he is ready to do everything he can. Simple as that. Well i hope he is happy and satisfied with letting himself become replacable
Seems like a good teammate and a happy go lucky guy. But I agree with you, maybe too laid back and not willing to do the things necessary. Doesn't have high enough skill to pull off that kind of lackadaisical attitude. Robertson and Engvall will both work harder and bring more

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like a good teammate and a happy go lucky guy. But I agree with you, maybe too laid back and not willing to do the things necessary. Doesn't have high enough skill to pull off that kind of lackadaisical attitude. Robertson and Engvall will both work harder and bring more

Gauthier would have made a better case for himself as an every day NHLer if he was just mean and nasty. He plays like he has a bonus clause for the Lady Byng.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Particularly against Columbus, the Leafs just need to play a high paced offensive game. Don't get into any type of grind game Columbus will dictate. Just score early and often and keep the atmosphere as close to a scrimmage as possible. We're not the Tampa Bay Lightning, losing to Columbus in the manner they did is not an option, especially now that CBJ is also downgraded from last year with the loss of Bobrovsky, Panarin and Duchene.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
About time he gets the message. Holding back being a physical beast for your team is not acceptable. 6’6” 240 every day on the bike. Looks good on him i say.
You'll probably see the 5'9" 160lb Robertson throw the body more than Gauthier. Gauthier isn't skilled enough to leave that out of his game, especially at his size. Robertson is apparently quite the trash talker too. Be interesting to see how comfortable he is against the big boys. Can't wait

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I may be the only one but I like gauthier. Engvall was pretty useless after his hot start. I prefer gauthier over Engvall in my opinion.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Where did you see that, NHL.com has game 1 at 8pm, game 2 at 4pm, and the other 3 are TBD, I don’t see one 1pm game yet, there probably will be, but what schedule are you using.

AFter the qualifiers and first round, there probably won't be anymore 12 pm starts for anyone. In the 2nd round, there will be only 2 series per conference. Hopefully Leafs will avoid any 12 pm starts completely.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I may be the only one but I like gauthier. Engvall was pretty useless after his hot start. I prefer gauthier over Engvall in my opinion.
Engvall has more offensive potential. Is the faster skater. And the better PKer. Makes little to no sense to have Gauthier play over Engvall imo

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Gauthier's not a hitter, but he's more physical than I think he's being given credit for. He's using his size more as he's adjusting to the league.

That being said I have no problems with him as an extra forward. He's a capable big body that won't hurt you defensively but doesn't bring much else to the table.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Didn't read through this thread. Has anyone mentioned how 4/5 are afternoon games with THREE being at 1:00? Afternoon games are almost non existent with this team, only in the playoffs usually. and we don't fair well. Game 6 last year comes to mind. Typical NHL.

The Leafs scored 8 goals in the 2 pm games against Carolina this season and in 2017-18.

Reactions: lottster14

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Gauthier would have made a better case for himself as an every day NHLer if he was just mean and nasty. He plays like he has a bonus clause for the Lady Byng.
Yup. Lou Lam's famous quote directed at Ken Daneyko still rings true:

"A hockey team is like an orchestra. Don't think you're in the violin section; you're on bass drum."

Know your role. Gauthier has the potential to be better than Brian Boyle, but he clearly doesn't want it bad enough to buy-in. Something has to click with him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Carolina doesn’t play a lot of afternoon games either. Where day games are unfair to the Leafs is when they played the Bruins who play many afternoon games.
The reason why last years Game 6 against Boston started at 3:00 PM was because NBC was promised a game in the first round to start at that time on that day. Their original plan that day was to make it with the Penguins and Islanders, however that series ended in four straight games.

However I do agree it was unfair to the Leafs since the Bruins had played more afternoon games in the regular season.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Gauthier's not a hitter, but he's more physical than I think he's being given credit for. He's using his size more as he's adjusting to the league.

That being said I have no problems with him as an extra forward. He's a capable big body that won't hurt you defensively but doesn't bring much else to the table.
I really don’t like knocking the Goat but it’s time he ramps it up in terms of “ not te day” department of being the nice guy,fair guy or whatever we want to call it. Being the gentle giant while guys that can not supply 240 pounds of physical nastiness to the table bumping you needs to be a wake up call for a career guy.
I would be demolishing players for my team and career if in the-same fortunate circumstance.

He deserves the wake up call is all i mean.

Reactions: Nylander88

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

nothing shabby at all with 7 est G given his limited role

that =s spezza and only 3 less then Marner.

at league Min$ i'm not sure what folks want?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Carolina doesn’t play a lot of afternoon games either. Where day games are unfair to the Leafs is when they played the Bruins who play many afternoon games.

It's funny that Sunday afternoon sports -or the lack thereof- is an idiosyncratic difference between Canadians and Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad