Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Caps- new start and a big focus on playerss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Well put. That really bugged me about Randy. Professionalism and a sense of urgency is what the leafs need in a coach. IMO Randy didn't seem to have a lot of respect among the players.

I don't know. I think Randy is a likeable person. I think the players liked him and definitely the media did (hence the "Protect Randy/Blame the Players" narrative the media has been pumping).

I think the problem with Randy was the looks of exasperation and the "I don't understand...this is mind-boggling" and constant looks of defeat.

The players look to their coach for leadership and direction and Randy didn't have any to give them.

The players struggle, the coach doesn't give direction/instruction, they struggle more.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's going to be exciting to watch the Leafs and see what the ice-time distribution will be and who will be going out against whom and how the lines will shake out.

So, it's Horachek who will be handling the lines then. Is this known?

Spott formerly coached the specialty teams so that is likely to remain the same while I would imagine Horachek handles ES play, including line combos and ice-time.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't know. I think Randy is a likeable person. I think the players liked him and definitely the media did (hence the "Protect Randy/Blame the Players" narrative the media has been pumping).

I think the problem with Randy was the looks of exasperation and the "I don't understand...this is mind-boggling" and constant looks of defeat.

The players look to their coach for leadership and direction and Randy didn't have any to give them.

The players struggle, the coach doesn't give direction/instruction, they struggle more

It's mind boggling that your coach has no answers. When he started to throw out the "I don't know", he should have been fired on the spot then. I've said it for a long time that his job IS to know what's happening and how to fix it. That's exactly why he's there... but he didn't know what to do. It's mind boggling.

I have no idea why the Leafs management thought it would be a good idea to give him another chance to right the ship. He didn't know how to fix it then, he surely wouldn't know how to fix it now.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Carrick called up. Good for him, maybe we'll see a four line game today.

No ashton, carrick up, already liking what I'm seeing

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Keep in mind that both those moves are GM transactions not coaching moves.

Carrick should add a spark to the line-up today if he plays his usual rambunctious style. He is a fun player to watch as he plays with a lot of heart and emotion, which is something seriously lacking on the Leafs at times.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Horacheck is in a very weird spot. we're barely in the playoffs and projected not to make it - but we're in there.

If Horacheck (I don't see them bringing anyone else in for the year) gets us to the playoffs, and is presentable - this does awesome things for him. If we continue to flame out - i reallllllly hope the arrows aren't pointed at him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Probably means Kadri isn't ready to go though and they want to shift Winnik back to winger. So we're likely to see Bozak, Smith, McKegg and Carrick down the middle. :amazed::cry:

Carrick is a legit bottom 6 center though. He's got a scoring touch, he hits, wins faceoffs and plays with energy. I just hope Horachek and Spott play him and McKegg decent minutes.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Keep in mind that both those moves are GM transactions not coaching moves.

Carrick should add a spark to the line-up today if he plays his usual rambunctious style. He is a fun player to watch as he plays with a lot of heart and emotion, which is something seriously lacking on the Leafs at times.

Didn't we bring in Clarkson for heart and emotion?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
The #leafs have four assistants -- Peter Horachek, Steve Spott, Chris Dennis, Rick St. Croix -- and no head coach listed on their gamenotes.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The #leafs have four assistants -- Peter Horachek, Steve Spott, Chris Dennis, Rick St. Croix -- and no head coach listed on their gamenotes.

I thought Steve Staois was going to be on the bench? Someone reported that yesterday... I can't remember who though.

For the record, Chris Dennis is the videographer and statistical analyst of the Leafs.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Paul Hendrick @HennyTweets
Holtby and Bernier your projected starters tonight . #TMLtalk

Carter Ashton is skating with the #leafs this morning. He's on waivers until noon ET.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I thought Steve Staois was going to be on the bench? Someone reported that yesterday... I can't remember who though.

For the record, Chris Dennis is the videographer and statistical analyst of the Leafs.

Looks like I wasn't imagining it.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Steve Staios is on the ice at the #leafs morning skate. He'll be behind the bench tonight.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
WE DID IT! WE DID IT! WE DID IT! IT'S HAPPENING!

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050
New Leaf lines this morning: Winnik-Kadri-Kessel. van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Santorelli. Komarov-Smith-Clarkson. Panik-Carrick-McKegg/Ashton.

I thought I'd never see the day. Let's hope it lasts more then a shift.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Lets hope Kessel agrees with the change...LOL

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs ‏@MapleLeafs 1m1 minute ago
The #Leafs have named Peter Horachek as interim head coach. #TMLtalk

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I just hope Kadri is ACTUALLY on the first PP, not just 5 on 5.

It's his turn to rack up easy points.

There are going to be some subtle changes and possibly this is one that they may try and it won't hurt to try.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Leafs defensive lines:

#Leafs D: Phaneuf-Franson, Gardiner-Holzer, Rielly-Polak. #TMLtalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad