Pre-Game Talk: Leafs visit the Bruins

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not a fan of breaking up the 3rd line again. The 1st and 3rd lines should be left alone as they have been very consistent for quite some time.

Keefe should only be experimenting with the 2nd and 4th lines.

Reactions: Eye Test

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
GSVA is updated (except for the goalies for some reason):

Screenshot_20220329-125154_Sheets.jpg

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Keep him out of the Jets game. Don't need those losers taking runs at Jack in what will be their version of a Stanley Cup game 7 this season.
Hoping they don't go after another players knee/head again, wonder if Clifford dresses against Winnipeg.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Not a fan of keeping Nick Abruzzese out of the lineup but I understand it. Boston is arguably the hottest team in the league right now.

But at the end of the day, the kid needs to learn how to play in these type of games. We can say these points mean something, but they really don't. Who cares about home ice advantage or who we will play in the playoffs. We will be the underdog regardless of any scenario based on history alone. We could be the presidents trophy winner for f*** sakes and we'd still be the underdog in R1. May as well run the kid out there and get him some reps in what will be the closest thing to a playoff atmosphere he will face the remainder of the year.

Is it a tough spot for the kid? yup. But I can almost guarantee you he wouldn't be worse than Clifford who is late to every loose puck. I'd rather Nick turnover the puck at the wrong time than lose every f***ing battle and be late to every loose puck the entire night. At least if Nick turns over the puck it means he's playing with the puck. Something our 4th line has failed to do for quite some time. Not exactly a high bar that Nick needs to reach.

Gotta learn to play these type of tough games at some point, may as well rip off the band aid. Especially if we plan to use him in any capacity this playoffs.

I'll defer to Sheldon's expertise on this, he definitely would know better than I. But how f***ing bad of a practice could Nick have had to yank him from 4th line rushes to HS. If it's about protecting Nick and his confidence, what exactly do we think penciling him into line rushes only to scratch him an hour later will do?

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Love that Abruzzese is on 4th line. Knies will be next
Hopefully 2nd line can continue from Sunday and score more. Mikky was good with JT

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I suspect they will beat, Boston and that's what pisses me off about this team they can beat Boston, they can beat/ Boston, they can beat Carolina, they can beat Tampa

but not Montreal, or Arizona, or Buffalo

I just want to see some consistency from this team.
You sir are a leaf fan for life... How have you not learned that is not our way😂

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Not a fan of keeping Nick Abruzzese out of the lineup but I understand it. Boston is arguably the hottest team in the league right now.

But at the end of the day, the kid needs to learn how to play in these type of games. We can say these points mean something, but they really don't. Who cares about home ice advantage or who we will play in the playoffs. We will be the underdog regardless of any scenario based on history alone. We could be the presidents trophy winner for f*** sakes and we'd still be the underdog in R1. May as well run the kid out there and get him some reps in what will be the closest thing to a playoff atmosphere he will face the remainder of the year.

Is it a tough spot for the kid? yup. But I can almost guarantee you he wouldn't be worse than Clifford who is late to every loose puck. I'd rather Nick turnover the puck at the wrong time than lose every f***ing battle and be late to every loose puck the entire night. At least if Nick turns over the puck it means he's playing with the puck. Something our 4th line has failed to do for quite some time. Not exactly a high bar that Nick needs to reach.

Gotta learn to play these type of tough games at some point, may as well rip off the band aid. Especially if we plan to use him in any capacity this playoffs.

I'll defer to Sheldon's expertise on this, he definitely would know better than I. But how f***ing bad of a practice could Nick have had to yank him from 4th line rushes to HS. If it's about protecting Nick and his confidence, what exactly do we think penciling him into line rushes only to scratch him an hour later will do?
I would've loved to have seen him in this environment much more than a game like Arizona or Buffalo.

The game has a little less intrigue for me without Abruzzese. We know who and what Clifford is. A droning plodder. Wanted to see Abruzzese's skill but more so his compete-level. This is the kind of game to see it in. The Bruins have a few guys with incredible drive. Wanted to see if a kid in his first game could come close to hanging with them in that regard.

Like you, I'm more worried about finding what works than points in the standings. This is an opportunity lost to see Abruzzese in a hostile environment, one that he could very well have to experience for the 1st time in the playoffs instead of tonight.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022

They said they had him in line rushes to get him more reps/get comfortable since its a morning skate rather than a full practice. I prefer to see him over Clifford obviously - but I think he comes in once hes had a legitimate practice under his belt rather than just a morning skate.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
If Mikky continues to help out JT and provide energy to that 2nd line, he will cement it. Then when Knies signs, he and nick can control the wings on the 4th

I would guess they want their lineup to be:

Bunting- Matty - Marner
Mikky - JT - Kerfoot
Nylander - Kampf - Engvall
Abruzzese - Blackwood - Knies

I like it.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Mikky continues to help out JT and provide energy to that 2nd line, he will cement it. Then when Knies signs, he and nick can control the wings on the 4th

I would guess they want their lineup to be:

Bunting- Matty - Marner
Mikky - JT - Kerfoot
Nylander - Kampf - Engvall
Abruzzese - Blackwood - Knies

I like it.

You've got LWers playing RW and RWers playing LW. Not sure it will work.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
They said they had him in line rushes to get him more reps/get comfortable since its a morning skate rather than a full practice. I prefer to see him over Clifford obviously - but I think he comes in once hes had a legitimate practice under his belt rather than just a morning skate.
Ya I hear ya, but at the same time, it was an opportunity for Sheldon to just tell the kid to go out there and do what you've done the last 20 some odd years and have fun. I don't think Nick's first professional Hockey game needs to be bogged down by systems and assignments. Sometimes you just have to pop the water wings and see if the kid can stay afloat.

It's not like this one game defines his entire career trajectory. It is just a great lesson good, bad or indifferent. This is the best of the best. If he had a good showing, that confidence could run for a long time. If he flops miserably, then he goes back to the press box and puts in the work. But at least he will know where he stands against the best.

I just don't think it's all about results at the current moment. It's about getting us playoff ready. And if Abruzzese is going to be an option for us in the playoffs, this is an experience he needs to have prior to game 1. Clifford is a plug and play, cup winning, veteran forward. He doesn't need these reps IMO.

I am a fan of Sheldon, and support most of the decisions he makes. But this is one I just think is a missed opportunity personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad