Pre-Game Talk: Leafs visit the Bruins

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
@Niagara Bill If you thought the Drake meme wasn't funny...

1648578919052.png

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Idk why we're the only fanbase that makes such a big deal on having gritty guys in the 4th line.

Tampa has a Perry and Maroon (Who's slower than Simmonds) in every game. I never see their fanbase complaining. They serve a purpose.

This fanbase did the same thing with Matt Martin. I thought he provided a purpose. Isle's fans love him and never complained.

Its Spezza that needs to be sitting. Dude is old, slow and soft.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
can someone clarify if its normal for guys like abruzzese and knies to join the team 20 games before playoffs and then actually play in the playoffs? like do teams do this often? How can guys go from college to playing playoff hockey

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
can someone clarify if its normal for guys like abruzzese and knies to join the team 20 games before playoffs and then actually play in the playoffs? like do teams do this often? How can guys go from college to playing playoff hockey
Cale Makar did it. Can Abruzesse? Can Knies? (that didn't really answer your question...it isn't a regular occurrence for sure...if the Leafs bat .500 it would be incredibly good fortune)

If anyone was wondering, Makar had 6 pts in 10 playoff games. (Goal and 5 assists) The kid went from college to the middle of an NHL playoff series. Not the start. No regular season games. Poof. Found himself in a playoff series straight out of college.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Masters and bax

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Idk why we're the only fanbase that makes such a big deal on having gritty guys in the 4th line.

Tampa has a Perry and Maroon (Who's slower than Simmonds) in every game. I never see their fanbase complaining. They serve a purpose.

This fanbase did the same thing with Matt Martin. I thought he provided a purpose. Isle's fans love him and never complained.

There's a huge gap in skill between Perry/Maroon and Simmonds.

Perry is on pace for 41 points. Maroon is on pace for 27 points.

While Simmonds is on pace for 18 points and is trending in the wrong direction.

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
There's a huge gap in skill between Perry/Maroon and Simmonds.

Perry is on pace for 41 points. Maroon is on pace for 27 points.

While Simmonds is on pace for 18 points and is trending in the wrong direction.
It amazes me that at one time both Simmonds and Spezza (not at the same time) were on our PP1, and Spezza actually looked good there earlier this season. When the end comes, it comes like a thief in the night.

Reactions: Rude Dog and zeke

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Those guys can still play though and don't get slaughtered on a nightly basis like Simmonds does.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Older College guys do it sometimes to burn a year off their ELC. Kreider did it for the Rangers and played in 18 playoff games. He already had a man's build though.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Makar, McAvoy, Caulfield all come to mind instantly. Obviously higher ranked, but I can guarantee there were more that have made that same jump.

Also as much as the NCAA has been around for a long time, it's only really become a premiere option for Canadian kids relatively recently. Even a lot of the top US kids would migrate north to the CHL for for their Junior years. So only recently are you seeing high end players play in the NCAA, maybe the last 10-15 years. But it's really taken an uptick in the last 5 years. It's arguably the best developmental path for NA kids nowadays, whereas for kids that even grew up in my generation (1990 birth year) it was kind of a fall back for kids that weren't good enough to play major junior and opted to go Jr.A to NCAA. I remember when Kyle Turris, who is around my age went through the BCHL to NCAA and people thought he was nuts.

so long story short, I think you'll see a lot more of these kids finish their seasons and jump straight into playoffs going forward. A lot of them make the jumps straight onto dogshit teams and dominate right away. Batherson, Hughes, Gudreau, Boeser, Boldy...etc.

Also Abruzzese is 22 years old and has played well internationally for USA at the Olympics. So he is ready to play pro. NHL pro? well that remains to be seen. But you gotta give it a go. I remember when Bozak came to our team however many years back and he would have been around the same age, and he didn't skip a beat. It's worth a shot.

Reactions: The Masters

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Makar, McAvoy, Caulfield all come to mind instantly. Obviously higher ranked, but I can guarantee there were more that have made that same jump.

Also as much as the NCAA has been around for a long time, it's only really become a premiere option for Canadian kids relatively recently. Even a lot of the top US kids would migrate north to the CHL for for their Junior years. So only recently are you seeing high end players play in the NCAA, maybe the last 10-15 years. But it's really taken an uptick in the last 5 years. It's arguably the best developmental path for NA kids nowadays, whereas for kids that even grew up in my generation (1990 birth year) it was kind of a fall back for kids that weren't good enough to play major junior and opted to go Jr.A to NCAA. I remember when Kyle Turris, who is around my age went through the BCHL to NCAA and people thought he was nuts.

so long story short, I think you'll see a lot more of these kids finish their seasons and jump straight into playoffs going forward. A lot of them make the jumps straight onto dogshit teams and dominate right away. Batherson, Hughes, Gudreau, Boeser, Boldy...etc.

Also Abruzzese is 22 years old and has played well internationally for USA at the Olympics. So he is ready to play pro. NHL pro? well that remains to be seen. But you gotta give it a go. I remember when Bozak came to our team however many years back and he would have been around the same age, and he didn't skip a beat. It's worth a shot.

Kreider is a notable example too. Went from BC straight to the playoffs without a single regular season game for the Rangers who I believe lost in the ECF.

There have been plenty more between then and now but not a whole lot had memorable runs or anything but it's not a huge jump to go from college hockey to playoffs if you're a good player.

Frozen Four, NCAA championships etc. are extremely tough playoff type games too.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I have no problem with Spezza, I think he's probably tired and he can't really play C anymore but I think he brings good value as a fourth line winger. Also, he showed plenty of passion and fire the last two playoffs, I am not worried about him showing up in that regard. I think Simmonds is cooked though.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Kreider is a notable example too. Went from BC straight to the playoffs without a single regular season game for the Rangers who I believe lost in the ECF.

There have been plenty more between then and now but not a whole lot had memorable runs or anything but it's not a huge jump to go from college hockey to playoffs if you're a good player.

Frozen Four, NCAA championships etc. are extremely tough playoff type games too.
Yup and you are playing against young men at that level as well, as opposed to teenagers in the CHL.

The guy we just signed from Harvard today, Marshall Rifai, is 24 years old and only recently finished his collegiate career. People seem to forget that the NCAA is predominantly made up of guys aged 20-23 years old, with the odd red shirt guy being 24. These are young men that are not completely fully grown, but they also are not adolescents.

The NCAA used to be the league where small undersized players with skill used to go, but that's no longer the case. I'd say its by far the best option for US kids to take, and it's becoming more and more that way for Canadians as well. It's a great league, and you can always get an education if hockey fails. I don't understand why any parent would want their kid to take any other option TBH. At this point Jr.A leagues in BC and AB are loaded with NCAA bound talent that would have historically been in major junior leagues.

times are changing

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Great 4th line winger, not center.
If Blackwell can handle C, that'll do wonders for the 4th line. And leave more opportunity to get a better winger in there with him (like a Robertson or Abruzzese) as well as the fact Kase coming back will make another player available to play down there. I don't mind Clifford in a 4th line wing role if he has two skilled players. Example the lines as they are now in the top 9, then Clifford-Blackwell-Kase as a 4th line in the playoffs and not adding any pressure for kids to come in and perform

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Keefe should focus on winning the game as his first priority,

Looking forward to seeing the Bergeron vs Matthews head to head battle tonight,
I swear to Gweniviere, if I see Keefe putting the 4th line out against their #1 line, I am going to chew through the floor and 6 feet deep….

I know he doesn’t have last line change, but he fails at line matching at home too.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
If Blackwell can handle C, that'll do wonders for the 4th line. And leave more opportunity to get a better winger in there with him (like a Robertson or Abruzzese) as well as the fact Kase coming back will make another player available to play down there. I don't mind Clifford in a 4th line wing role if he has two skilled players. Example the lines as they are now in the top 9, then Clifford-Blackwell-Kase as a 4th line in the playoffs and not adding any pressure for kids to come in and perform
I think it's not a coincidence that the fourth line was at their best when Engvall was playing on that line. Once Kase is back either Engvall or Kerfoot can slide down which would be great.

Reactions: Nylander88

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I swear to Gweniviere, if I see Keefe putting the 4th line out against their #1 line, I am going to chew through the floor and 6 feet deep….

I know he doesn’t have last line change, but he fails at line matching at home too.
What kinda teeth you got? Sounds weird.

4th line got exposed vs FLA... at home... so I'd say sharpen those babies up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad