Speculation: Leafs upcoming cap crunch

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He's here to play hockey, not fantasy hockey forum games that help out the Leafs and do nothing for him and his family.
These “fantasy moves” get him more money and a potentially better team to play on. Heck they even offer him the flexibility of seeing what other offers might be out there if he so chooses.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
I’ve gone through the cap friendly arm chair process multiple times with an 83 million dollar cap using higher end salaries for AM & MM and you can make it work without being able to keep Gardiner, which I’m fine with. I’ve said it before, the leafs can keep all their young guys, AM, MM, Kap, Nylander & Johnsson for a four year window that includes this year. Once Rielly and Kadris contracts are up in four years that’s when you’ll start seeing the team lose higher end players.

Reactions: Curufinwe

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Great at preventing opposing forward from getting controlled puck possession entries, one of the best Dman in the league at skating the puck out of the Dzone instead of just throwing it around (and the stats prove it), his great at supporting our speedy, offensive minded forwards with his speed, great puck handling and slick passes, I don't really see him make any more mistakes on ice as Rielly our other dynamic PMD (this often goes ignored by Gardiner critics, geez, dynamic Dman are often prone to giving the puck away) and even Babcock called both Jake and Rielly as elite as 2 months ago and unlike Gretzky, Babcock just doesn't throw those word to any scrub.

When the coach, the traditional stats and the analytics all contradicts with your eye test, then maybe its time to admit that their is a flaw in the way you evaluate a players' game.
You think i'm the only one that thinks Jake is a door knob?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Leafs can make it work by not resigning Gardiner. With approx. $23M available next season they can offer:

AM - $11M (same as JT)
MM - $8M
KK - $3M

Everyone else are RFA bit players. They might need to be traded or move salaries, it’s possible to keep the core.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
These “fantasy moves” get him more money and a potentially better team to play on. Heck they even offer him the flexibility of seeing what other offers might be out there if he so chooses.

He's already been through all the effort of getting a contract done and locked up and is now playing it out. He's very likely not interested in going through all that crap again, just to help out your team.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Leafs can make it work by not resigning Gardiner. With approx. $23M available next season they can offer:

AM - $11M (same as JT)
MM - $8M
KK - $3M

Everyone else are RFA bit players. They might need to be traded or move salaries, it’s possible to keep the core.

its more than that. Cap will go up by 4 mil they said.

So that is 27.2 mil plus Hortons LTIR of 5.3

That is 32.5 in cap space next year to sign 11 players

11 to Matthews
9 to Marner
3 to kappy

Thats 23 mil and 9.5 Mil left in cap space to sign 8 players to league min or even if they want a dman for 4-6 mil.

Then the following year. Patty M and his 6.5 is off plus the cap going up by another 3-5 mil. They should be fine.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
With the cap going up they won't have too much of a problem if they don't re-sign Gardiner. They can keep everyone but will be tight. Of course, Dubas could manoeuvrer by getting rid of Zaitsev, Hyman and Brown

Marleau (6.25) - Tavares (11.0) - Marner (9.5)
Hyman (2.25) - Matthews (12.0) - Nylander (7.0)
Brown (2.1) - Kadri (4.5) - Kapanen (3.5)
Johnsson (1.1) - Lindholm (0.8) - Grundstrom (0.925)
Gauthier (0.675)

Rielly (5.0) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Dermott (0.87) - Ozhiganov (1.2)
UFA (1.5) - Holl (0.675)
Borgam (0.9)

Andersen (5.0) - Sparks (0.9)

With this lineup the total is : $82.145M

Good effort I suppose. With your lineup, the total cap number stays under $83 m which is the anticipated number. Defense looks a little shaky though - slightly scary even.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

11 to Matthews
9 to Marner
3 to kappy

Thats 23 mil and 9.5 Mil left in cap space to sign 8 players to league min or even if they want a dman for 4-6 mil.

Then the following year. Patty M and his 6.5 is off plus the cap going up by another 3-5 mil. They should be fine.

List of random thoughts: Cap is headed to $83 m which is a $3.5 m increase. You may be a little light on Marner and Matthews numbers. Also, given that Gardiner (or Zaitsev) might be gone, I'd expect one of our Marlies defenders to make the jump. So, if we use Horton's LTIR, we have to hope that we won't get into performance bonus problem situation. Not sure how we fit another $4-6 m defender either.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto is not the only team under the Cap crunch here. Winnipeg is the same, but no one ever talks about them.

So, we have to wait until they start a thread about Winnipeg's cap crunch before we talk about our own? Not sure what you want? Also, there is a thread about Jet's cap called "Jets Upcoming Cap Crunch", so we're OK now then. :thumbu:

Last edited:

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
You think i'm the only one that thinks Jake is a door knob?

I'm sure there are many people who don't appreciate what Gardiner can do, just like there are those who think that Matthews is a decent 69 point player. The problem is that these assessments oversimplify players into a caricature of what they really are. Gardiner has his flaws, but he also has some very valuable strengths. People tend to focus on a small part of their game, and try to summarize their abilities in a word/phrase, which is hardly sufficient for pretty much any player. Gardiner is most definitely not a "door knob."

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

11 to Matthews
9 to Marner
3 to kappy

I forgot the potential increase of $4M which was not included in the calculations, but the other players Horton & Marleau are still on the books for 2019/20 season.

Notwithstanding, the Leafs will still be tight, but doable to keep the core. There is little chance they could add players or keep Gardiner unless they dump salaries.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Lastly the NHLPA better use the entire inflator for the cap if they want to see players salaries rise to new heights.

Hopefully we can see the cap jump to 85.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I forgot the potential increase of $4M which was not included in the calculations, but the other players Horton & Marleau are still on the books for 2019/20 season.

Notwithstanding, the Leafs will still be tight, but doable to keep the core. There is little chance they could add players or keep Gardiner unless they dump salaries.

Yes but we can go over the cap by Horton's amount once we reach the cap ceiling.

SlightlyStoned

Dec 7, 2018
I Was thinking about a bit of a crackpot trade proposal. Matthews <-> Barkov (and maybe some addons) With 5.9m cap hit Barkov would make things easyer for leafs and Panthers would get a big American star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad