Speculation: Leafs upcoming cap crunch

TSN Jdog

Apr 25, 2016
Starting to hate the Leafs
With the Leafs needing to resign Matthews, Marner, Kapanen and maybe Gardiner there could be some other pieces on the move. Would any teams have interest in these players at the trade deadline?

Hyman, Zach ($2,250,000) x 2 years

Spark plug winger who could fetch a 2nd to 3rd rounder

Brown, Connor ($2,100,000) x 1 year

Could be had for cheap - ideally for a younger similar player(s)

Zaitsev, Nikita ($4,500,000) x 5 years

Could be added as a cap dump to a bigger deal

Kadri, Nazem ($4,500,000) x 3 years (NTC)

Ideally wouldn't move him

Marleau, Patrick ($6,250,000) x 1 year (NMC)

Orpik situation? Would have to be paid $4,000,000 bonus after buyout window

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
You cannot Orpik someone. It’s cap circumvention. Orpik is an exception. Also look at the contract he was bought out of and what the Caps signed him to. With the incentives it’s basically the same cap hit.

So if “Orpik”-ing Marleau means trading assets to have him bought out so you can re-sign him at $6M instead of $6.25M I guess the League would allow that...

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I believe the Leafs will have about 32 million in cap space after the cap increases to 83 million and Horton's 5.3 milllion is put on IR.

Matthews, Marner and kapanen take a massive chunk of that, lets say they take 24 million, leaving 8 million to essentially fill the line up with low wage deals to fill the other 10 roster spots. Which is entirely possibly, especially if we shed Browns 2 million.

We will be forced to put a lot of ELC or veteran minimum contracts next year, and it may be a low point for the team depth wise, especially defensively, but it is possible.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Marleau almost definitely isn't waiving his NMC and the Leafs shouldn't be trading Kadri. I think you'd have a difficult time trading Zaitsev without taking any money back. I think you can find takers for Brown and Hyman pretty easily, but the other 3 aren't likely to be traded.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Gardiner is not coming back. Cap is going up. Hainsey is not coming back.

Cap problems solved.
Yep.
Gardiner is a valuable asset so it will suck to see him walk for nothing but after watching Dermott progress over the last two seasons, I don't think anyone will miss him for too long.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I don't know how the Leafs are going to do it. Clearly according to HF these guys aren't even as good as their comparables but will be asking for 15M and 13M. Shame the Leafs were the only team to grab guys with only self interest. Lucky other fans that their players won't take them to the cleaners :(
Why ate you so over dramatic. In reality AM will probably want 11-12 marner 7-9, keep hyman and kadri and use elcs for rest. You maybee able to get rid of zaits but you need him for at least another year. Marleu you are probably stuck with. It's not so bad very manageable.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Both the Jets and Leafs will have the Cap crash on their heads next season. I believe both teams will sign their young core at the expense of the depth of their teams. Both teams will be punished for their great drafting as the cap will make them weaken their teams to hold onto their young core. I believe both of these team have a good enough young core to win SC's and the GM that can get their young core at the cheapest price will most likely win more SC then the other. Both teams will end up giving up team depth to hold on to their best players long term but that is the price you pay for having drafting success in todays NHL cap world.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
You cannot Orpik someone. It’s cap circumvention. Orpik is an exception. Also look at the contract he was bought out of and what the Caps signed him to. With the incentives it’s basically the same cap hit.

So if “Orpik”-ing Marleau means trading assets to have him bought out so you can re-sign him at $6M instead of $6.25M I guess the League would allow that...
Orpik had one year left at 5.5 million, was traded to Colorado, bought out, and then signed in Washington for a 1 year 1 million contract with 500K of performance bonuses. If the Leafs could do something similar to Marleau it would completely solve their cap issues.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Orpik had one year left at 5.5 million, was traded to Colorado, bought out, and then signed in Washington for a 1 year 1 million contract with 500K of performance bonuses. If the Leafs could do something similar to Marleau it would completely solve their cap issues.
I doubt they'd go that route. I think they value his leadership too much.
I wouldn't be shocked if he re-signed with the Leafs for something like $3mil x 2yrs if they haven't won the cup before his current deal is up. He wants a cup and I think he still contributes a lot....especially if he's making 3rd liner money.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Yep.
Gardiner is a valuable asset so it will suck to see him walk for nothing but after watching Dermott progress over the last two seasons, I don't think anyone will miss him for too long.
Gardiner is one of two things. A strictly offensive defensemen who will get you 50 points and cost you 50 on the defensive side, Or what we see this season...... A mediocre defensemen trying to play more defence and losing out on 25 points from the offensive side.

At that point, how many mediocre defensemen in the league are there that put up 30 points a season, and how many are worth what Jake will ask as a UFA...

Im glad you understand that he's not coming back because certain leaf fans just don't get it.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
It would be nice to have that space for sure.... But its not make or break. Im personally salivating at the year after when his cap hit is off the books. I don't expect him to be traded as I'm sure him and lou had a hand shake agreement of some sort that he wouldn't be traded or LTIR'd or something effed up.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I doubt they'd go that route. I think they value his leadership too much.
I wouldn't be shocked if he re-signed with the Leafs for something like $3mil x 2yrs if they haven't won the cup before his current deal is up. He wants a cup and I think he still contributes a lot....especially if he's making 3rd liner money.
I agree that I doubt they do that because it's cap circumvention. I don't believe that Washington traded Orpik with the intention that they will re-sign him, but they probably did have it on the back of their mind that they could do it.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Gardiner is one of two things. A strictly offensive defensemen who will get you 50 points and cost you 50 on the defensive side, Or what we see this season...... A mediocre defensemen trying to play more defence and losing out on 25 points from the offensive side.

At that point, how many mediocre defensemen in the league are there that put up 30 points a season, and how many are worth what Jake will ask as a UFA...

Im glad you understand that he's not coming back because certain leaf fans just don't get it.
Yeah I just don't see how it can work and on top of that, I don't think it would be a good use of cap space and I consider myself a Gardiner fan.
Ideally, He should try to sign with a team who has a defensively strong RHD. He'd probably look awesome in St.Louis next to Petro, where he can rack up his 50pts and will have someone to cover for the rest (which TO currently does not have)

Mar 14, 2011

You must think the entire Leafs defence must stink then because Gardiner is currently 2nd on the Defence in GA/60 despite having the second most defensive zone start and facing borderline top pairing competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad