Speculation: Leafs upcoming cap crunch

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Orpik had one year left at 5.5 million, was traded to Colorado, bought out, and then signed in Washington for a 1 year 1 million contract with 500K of performance bonuses. If the Leafs could do something similar to Marleau it would completely solve their cap issues.

Marleau has a NMC. Not happening.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why ate you so over dramatic. In reality AM will probably want 11-12 marner 7-9, keep hyman and kadri and use elcs for rest. You maybee able to get rid of zaits but you need him for at least another year. Marleu you are probably stuck with. It's not so bad very manageable.

There was a thread this morning on the main boards that Matthews will ask for 15M and should sit if he doesn't get it.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
You cannot Orpik someone. It’s cap circumvention. Orpik is an exception. Also look at the contract he was bought out of and what the Caps signed him to. With the incentives it’s basically the same cap hit.

So if “Orpik”-ing Marleau means trading assets to have him bought out so you can re-sign him at $6M instead of $6.25M I guess the League would allow that...

Where are you getting your numbers? Orpik gets two games played bonuses at 20 and 40 games increasing his maximum cap hit to $1.5 million. The contract that was bought out was a $5.5 million AAV.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Both the Jets and Leafs will have the Cap crash on their heads next season. I believe both teams will sign their young core at the expense of the depth of their teams. Both teams will be punished for their great drafting as the cap will make them weaken their teams to hold onto their young core. I believe both of these team have a good enough young core to win SC's and the GM that can get their young core at the cheapest price will most likely win more SC then the other. Both teams will end up giving up team depth to hold on to their best players long term but that is the price you pay for having drafting success in todays NHL cap world.

Fortunately the Leafs have several guys waiting to step in from the farm. Some which actually likely improve the club.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Fortunately the Leafs have several guys waiting to step in from the farm. Some which actually likely improve the club.

So do the Jets with Appleton playing right now. Both teams will need good ELC players that can contribute to make up for the depth of their proven NHL players they will lose to hold onto their young core.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So do the Jets with Appleton playing right now. Both teams will need good ELC players that can contribute to make up for the depth of proven NHL players they will lose to hold onto the young core.

Drafting is key going forward. Hitting on picks like Sandin will be huge (at least so far he looks like a hit).

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It's probably not happening regardless but the entire premise of the deal is that he stays in Toronto. I don't think the NMC is really the biggest hurdle in that situation.

He's here to play hockey, not fantasy hockey forum games that help out the Leafs and do nothing for him and his family.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
As a Sabres fan, I couldn't help but notice Dermott all over the ice last night and I didn't notice Gardiner even once.

Yeah, Dermott is a real keeper for us. It'll make it pretty easy to let Gardiner walk next summer. Dermott can step into his 2nd pairing LHD spot easily, I think.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
He's here to play hockey, not fantasy hockey forum games that help out the Leafs and do nothing for him and his family.

1. Makes the team he plays on better, giving him a better chance to achieve something he's been working toward his entire career.

2. More money. With the way his deal is structured even a league minimum contract would make him better off after a buyout. Realistically he wouldn't be getting league minimum, more likely $1 to $2 million.

Like I said, I agree that it's almost certainly not going to happen, but your arguments don't really hold up. If anything it's not going to happen because it's an ethical grey area and Marleau has one of the strongest reputations in the league of being a straight shooting professional. It's just flat unlikely that the team even asks him to do it.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Yup. Two very similar teams. Would be crazy if they ever meet in the final.

My take is they will eventually meet in the final. May not be this year but both teams have a great young core that they will be competitive for the cup for many years to come. It is nice to see two Canadian teams with a realistic chance for the cup.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't agree with the numbers in that article. I don't think there is any way that Marner is getting less than 10.5 and Matthews less than 11.5. Marner's agent is laughing at the 8.5 number. The only way you might get him for less than 10, is on a 2 year bridge, and even then it would be in the 9-10 range.
If McDavid is at 12.5, there isn't a way in hell Matthews isn't getting 12.0.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I don't agree with the numbers in that article. I don't think there is any way that Marner is getting less than 10.5 and Matthews less than 11.5. Marner's agent is laughing at the 8.5 number. The only way you might get him for less than 10, is on a 2 year bridge, and even then it would be in the 9-10 range.

Just like Nylnader was getting over 8 or he sits. HF strikes again!

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
If Marner is getting $10m+, Laine must be getting $15m.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The thing I think all these kids need to understand is that sure they can all ask for huge salaries and look at what will be put around you (EDM). Marner is a fantastic player and is worth a ton, no question but would he be having as good a season without JT? I don't think so. Look I'm not suggesting these stars sign for peanuts but the Media and fans need to cool their jets throwing stupid numbers out there. Sure in a Vacuum Matthews is likely signing for MCJesus money or slightly more due to inflation (cap increase) but its not a vacuum and every team faces a hard cap until the next CBA comes out.

Regarding teams like Zona, etc Offer Sheeting Matthews to 15 Million Per sounds great until every other team decides to do it to them and every other team in the league. Its called mutually assured destruction as a deterrent.

Are we in a cap crunch? Absolutely, do the egg heads of the TML brass have a insight how to address the issue? I'm sure they do. Are we gonna lose some players (Gardiner, Brown, etc) more than likely. Push comes to shove I'm pretty sure Nylander is out the door if we can't make it work regardless of what assurances Nylander thinks he was given by Dubas.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Are we in a cap crunch? Absolutely, do the egg heads of the TML brass have a insight how to address the issue? I'm sure they do. Are we gonna lose some players (Gardiner, Brown, etc) more than likely. Push comes to shove I'm pretty sure Nylander is out the door if we can't make it work regardless of what assurances Nylander thinks he was given by Dubas.

Yup, the eggheads will indeed handle it, and it shouldn't be too bad at all. Letting Gardiner go and replacing him with Dermott who has been fantastic all year will only be good for us anyway.

But I disagree with you about Nylander. He's not going anywhere for a long time. Our core is too good. They won't destroy that. Especially with great young D-men like Dermott here now, and Liljegren and Sandin on the way. No need to trade Nylander for ANY D-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad