Rumor: Leafs trying to acquire pick #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
That's a switch here, proven just turned 26 year old, 30 goal scorer, 60 point 6'3 winger at 4.25M is more valuable than an unproven 18 year old player that may be a 60 point, 30 goal player one day? Ulf is right, Marner has had a lot of positive things written about him here, some even had him as the 2nd most gifted offensive player in this draft to Mcdavid. Nylander would not be regarded as high as this. I don't even think Nylander goes in the top 10 in this year's draft.

I think knowing what we know now about Nylander(that he could be PPG in the SHL, and be a catalyst for the Marlies making the playoffs), Nylander would definitely go top-10 in this draft.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Carolina won't be trading their 5th pick.

Their team isn't going to be making any sort of playoff push next year. Their team is going to keep their 5th overall and add it to their other pool of young players and keep building.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think knowing what we know now about Nylander(that he could be PPG in the SHL, and be a catalyst for the Marlies making the playoffs), Nylander would definitely go top-10 in this draft.

I disagree, just as Ehlers would probably be out of the top 10 in this draft also. It's not a slight, it is just a testament this draft is a special draft. If you want to be compare players. I think Travis Konecny is a good comparable to Nylander. He is rated just outside the top 10 on most lists.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
that's what I am saying.

it just depends on the Pitch. like Kessel would require I think "More" (even with Semin) like even if you ask for nothing but Semin, you'd ask for 5 + 35 (and you can toss in 24, to make it so Carolina HAS a 1st round pick).

if it's JVR you can easily do Marner/Hanifin(Barzal/Strome, depending on who Arizona is) + ________. that's what I see anyway.

Carolina needs some star factor (to work with Eric), they need to get butts in the seats, and they need to get to the playoffs. Kessel does that for them.

I have to agree with this. People need to look beyond a simple hockey transaction -- management will be looking at it from a more holistic perspective. They'll have pressure to win (sooner rather than later given recent performances); to get people into the stands; and to provide an entertaining product (all of which are linked). Overall their goal is to make money.

Kessel makes them better and he's entertaining. So even if you're not better and aren't winning, you're at least entertaining people and scoring. Last year only Buffalo, NJ, and Arizona scored less than Carolina. And their GA was actually pretty reasonable and a hell of a lot better than ours. So it's conceivable that they believe they may be a much better team that their record this year indicates.

I think short of giving up our 4OA pick, Nylander, and Rielly, if there is a deal to be done with Carolina we should do it. Our problem has always been top-end talent. It's easy enough to swap out all the other pieces and flip them around but when your top-end players aren't good enough you don't win. Look at Chicago, that team has been altered and changed so many times with the main 4-5 guys remaining the same. Because those guys are good, they continue to win.

If we have to give up some of our lesser assets (i.e. Kadri or Kessel) to get a chance at premier talent (Hanifin, Marner, Provorov, etc.) then you can't pass that opportunity up.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I have to agree with this. People need to look beyond a simple hockey transaction -- management will be looking at it from a more holistic perspective. They'll have pressure to win (sooner rather than later given recent performances); to get people into the stands; and to provide an entertaining product (all of which are linked). Overall their goal is to make money.

Kessel makes them better and he's entertaining. So even if you're not better and aren't winning, you're at least entertaining people and scoring. Last year only Buffalo, NJ, and Arizona scored less than Carolina. And their GA was actually pretty reasonable and a hell of a lot better than ours. So it's conceivable that they believe they may be a much better team that their record this year indicates.

I think short of giving up our 4OA pick, Nylander, and Rielly, if there is a deal to be done with Carolina we should do it. Our problem has always been top-end talent. It's easy enough to swap out all the other pieces and flip them around but when your top-end players aren't good enough you don't win. Look at Chicago, that team has been altered and changed so many times with the main 4-5 guys remaining the same. Because those guys are good, they continue to win.

If we have to give up some of our lesser assets (i.e. Kadri or Kessel) to get a chance at premier talent (Hanifin, Marner, Provorov, etc.) then you can't pass that opportunity up.

Agreed. Really don't think Carolina is that bad of a team, more a team that had a bad year. Add a couple of pieces and they could be knocking on the playoff door.

Barcardi

May 29, 2015
Does anyone recall seeing another rumor about a month ago involving both these teams? It went something like this:

To Carolina: Kessel and Kadri
To Toronto: Semin and 5th OA

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Does anyone recall seeing another rumor about a month ago involving both these teams? It went something like this:

Pass, that's not very good.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

HUGE overpay from Toronto ...Kadri is out, and it's still an overpay to be honest.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carolina won't want to trade its high pick anymore than we do. And if they did, they'd ask for Rielly or Nylander+ a little something. Ain't gonna happen.

mikebel111*

Not a chance I do that

Not sure I do that for Kessel alone

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
From all I have read from Ron Francis and trading the pick, it seems unlikely to me. He has already traded players like Sekera and Tlusty for picks at the deadline. This would suggest to me, he wants to get younger players to add to Lindholm and Fleury. I am skeptical he will be moving #5 unless he gets a pick around 10 or a prospect player of high value. All indications are Carolina fans are happy he is the GM now rather than Rutherford is.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Carolina won't want to trade its high pick anymore than we do. And if they did, they'd ask for Rielly or Nylander+ a little something. Ain't gonna happen.

Bingo. You nailed it. Francis has already started adding picks at the deadline. Trading a 5th overall makes no sense to me. Carolina is much like us. They want picks and youth.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think anyone believes they do want to trade their pick, just speculation based off of a weak sourced rumour.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Bingo. You nailed it. Francis has already started adding picks at the deadline. Trading a 5th overall makes no sense to me. Carolina is much like us. They want picks and youth.

he was WAY out of the playoffs and traded 2 UFA's ...what else would you have expected him to do?

...add to that most of their top line was injured, as well as their staring goalie for a good part of the season.

they and Columbus were killed by injuries last year, and is the key reason they were both so low.

Canes should blow it up, but, i doubt they do, or can with the core they have

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A normal franchise wouldn't make that deal, but I wonder if they plan on sending us Skinner and Semin that maybe they want to get out from under $13 million bucks in salary and get back a guy who might still be a name/superstar, sacrificing one high pick. There are reports that their long term survival may be in question.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
he was WAY out of the playoffs and traded 2 UFA's ...what else would you have expected him to do?

...add to that most of their top line was injured, as well as their staring goalie for a good part of the season.

they and Columbus were killed by injuries last year, and is the key reason they were both so low.

Canes should blow it up, but, i doubt they do, or can with the core they have

He's cleaning up Rutherford's mess. He did what Nonis was instructed to do. Sounds like both franchise's are in the same position looking for the same out to me.

The 5th pick is going nowhere, if anything I can only see a slide down of 3 - 4 spots. Leafs don't own a pick around 9 or 10. So unless we deal Nylander. I don't see anything to this rumour.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Dean Blundell also said that Mike Babcock had signed to stay in Detroit.

Pretty much puts plenty of doubt on the legitimacy of this rumour. Just another guy trying to make a name by throwing **** against the wall and hoping something sticks.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
How does this make sense from a financial perspective for Carolina?

Semin has 3 years left with a $7 million cap hit.

Kessel has 7 years left with an $8 million cap hit.

Is Skinner's contract that bad they would be willing to part with a top five pick to get rid of both of those deals?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
People believe this crap...

I believe that Leaf's management is doing it's due diligence, and has likely talked to every single team about their top 90 picks this year, just to see if there's a good deal out there. Some of those conversations were a lot shorter than others.

I don't think it's impossible to acquire Carolina's pick, but I don't think this rumour is anything more than speculation.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Is Skinner's contract that bad they would be willing to part with a top five pick to get rid of both of those deals?

Kessel to me is an add on to a team on the verge of winning the cup, a final piece. He would likely fetch a 15+ pick, rather than a top 14 pick.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Yeah it doesn't seem to make sense. With Kessel or Semin on the Canes they aren't making the playoffs next year (or the next year probably either). Kessel is an obvious improvement over Semin, especially form a goal-scoring POV, but he's a lot more money for a lot longer time-frame, not just in cap hit but actual dollars. I see no reason the Hurricanes would move back 20 spots in an incredibly deep draft to get a guy that will score 35-45 goals a year and miss the playoffs for the next couple years (and oh, by the way, he's making a couple million more dollars per year than the guy they are trading away).

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Yeah it doesn't seem to make sense. With Kessel or Semin on the Canes they aren't making the playoffs next year (or the next year probably either). Kessel is an obvious improvement over Semin, especially form a goal-scoring POV, but he's a lot more money for a lot longer time-frame, not just in cap hit but actual dollars. I see no reason the Hurricanes would move back 20 spots in an incredibly deep draft to get a guy that will score 35-45 goals a year and miss the playoffs for the next couple years (and oh, by the way, he's making a couple million more dollars per year than the guy they are trading away).

The only way giving up the 5th pick in the draft makes sense for Carolina is if they're getting out of some sort of awful financial crunch. But I don't see that exchanging Kessel for Semin. They're getting more years at a higher salary.

That's why I asked about Skinner's deal. Is it a bad one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad