Friedman: Leafs/Treliving have offered multiple picks to CGY for Tanev, but not their 1st round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Could see Treliving positioning himself to give up the 1st but get something back in the way of later pick(s) and or prospect(s) he liked more than Conroy does now

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Does Chris Tanev increase your chances significantly to beat both the Boston Bruins and the Florida Panthers to reach the ECF? Let’s face it, one round doesn’t cut it. I don’t think he does. Just stick with the team you have and see what they can do. don’t give up premium assets for someone that doesn’t really move the needle.

Reactions: Jmo89

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Does Chris Tanev increase your chances significantly to beat both the Boston Bruins and the Florida Panthers to reach the ECF? Let’s face it, one round doesn’t cut it. I don’t think he does. Just stick with the team you have and see what they can do. don’t give up premium assets for someone that doesn’t really move the needle.
The fact you think a guy that would immediately be your #1 PKer, be a force defensively, and would throw himself in front of any shot wouldn't improve your chances against Florida or Boston and doesn't "move the needle" is laughable.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

This is where I'm at too. It's not that he's not a good defenceman, it's that Toronto's problems on D are greater than what he can solve.

It sounds like Tanev is Treliving's target both now and in the offseason though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets spooked about an acquiring team extending him and gives up the 1st at the TDL and tries to extend him.

Brodie looks much better back at LD, so I'm thinking they do something for an RD.

Reactions: Strangle

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The fact you think a guy that would immediately be your #1 PKer, be a force defensively, and would throw himself in front of any shot wouldn't improve your chances against Florida or Boston and doesn't "move the needle" is laughable.

Honestly, I have not seen it with this group. I have not seen it that a player like this makes a difference. They need to show that they can actually win and go deep. It’s great that Tanev can do those things, but unless the core guys step up Leafs still won’t win. Just like when they acquired Muzzin, or ROR.

Reactions: Strangle

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, I have not seen it with this group. I have not seen it that a player like this makes a difference. They need to show that they can actually win and go deep. It’s great that Tanev can do those things, but unless the core guys step up Leafs still won’t win. Just like when they acquired Muzzin, or ROR.
The difference between the Leafs, Panthers and Bruins is defense/goaltending, you score more than those teams but you let in too many goals... especially with Morgan Reilly on the ice and on the PK.... Tanev immediately improves both of those things...

Y'all don't give up too many shots per game, which suggests quality of shots against is probably a problem, another area Tanev will improve... if not him blocking everything means less shots that your goalies have to face.

Honestly, I always knew Tanev was good... but once we signed him, I was still blown away and IMO he hasn't lost a step.

Reactions: Jmo89

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The only thing that I've said that's subjective is he's a 6/7. He's certainly heavily sheltered and can't stay above water possession wise. He also doesn't produce.
You say that with such confidence for things that are so easily disproven.

This shows that he has faced pretty much baseline competition- very very slight sheltering, but nothing material. Yes he has slightly high zone O zone faceoff starts, but nothing crazy. Pretty standard mid pair usage with a slight offensive slant. 4th in EV and overall icetime per game since December 1

"Can't stay above water possession wise" - slightly negative corsi, positive Fenwick, Shots, and xGF ratios.

On pace for 34 points.

All of this in a year marred by high ankle sprang that he came back shaky from.

If it's not subjective then you're objectively wrong, which is not the same as "factually correct"

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

when you struggling to defend and on transition thats will hurt everybody, including player like matthews marner nylander and tavares becausr itd just impossible tonscore without the puck.

last playoff by exemple, leafs scored 64% of their EV goal when rielly was on the ice. When rielly was on the bench they score like 9 in even strenght and something like 10 if youre including special team in eleven game

you watching kucherov, mackinnon by exemple in playoff, they was not better offensively sorry... The difference is they played more in the offensive end and less in defensive zone because as a team they was better in both offensive/ drfensive side of the puck on defensive and neutral zone.

if you want to get more from core, start to raise the time they will play with the puck. If you still do the same thing and hope your core to carry the puck from behind their net to a goal, thats will be pretty hard.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
No, my statements are factually correct. Chastise yourself. You have some pretty hot takes from time to time. I said Liljegren is just like Valimaki. He is. Heavily sheltered and still can't stay above water. He's absolutely a 6/7.

Lilly is likely to grow into a bigger role with time. Leafs should be patient with him

Couldn’t agree more with this

Also, Muzzin is one of the players the Leafs need. He’s on the team but they really miss him on the ice.

I love me some Jake Muzzin, I wish the leafs had two of him

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Give me an example of a "panic trade" in the history of the NHL.

Tanner Jeannot for Foote, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th?
Winnipeg just did it with Monahan after the Canucks got Lindholm. Didn't want to miss out on the weak center market so they bit the bullet and paid

Ledge And Dairy

Honest question... can a sign and trade even happen at this point in the season, or would the acquiring team have to wait until the summer?
Sign and trades are pointless at this point of the year since the entire benefit of a sign and trade is to get the 8th year of term. Any team can extend a player to an 8 year deal as long as they are acquired before the March 8th deadline

Reactions: bucks_oil

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sign and trades are pointless at this point of the year since the entire benefit of a sign and trade is to get the 8th year of term. Any team can extend a player to an 8 year deal as long as they are acquired before the March 8th deadline
Perhaps the team trading him likes the idea though, as they could maybe sell their player for more if they could trade him with term. If teams don't like it and would rather pay less for the player as a rental, then the team in Calgary's position can just cut them out of the sweepstakes

Of course this requires Tanev to play along. He doesn't have to be told what offers there are.

Also of course, a team like the Leafs can tamper through the media, which becomes a strong message straight to Tanev.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Winnipeg just did it with Monahan after the Canucks got Lindholm. Didn't want to miss out on the weak center market so they bit the bullet and paid
Is it really that bad. I don't think there was a bad overpay here. I think Monahan got what he's worth.

As the saying goes: once there's 2 two teams bidding, the price can get inflated.

Ledge And Dairy

Perhaps the team trading him likes the idea though, as they could maybe sell their player for more if they could trade him with term. If teams don't like it and would rather pay less for the player as a rental, then the team in Calgary's position can just cut them out of the sweepstakes

Of course this requires Tanev to play along. He doesn't have to be told what offers there are.

Also of course, a team like the Leafs can tamper through the media, which becomes a strong message straight to Tanev.
That has never once happened in the history of the cap era so I highly doubt it will happen now. All Calgary can do is deny teams from talking to him prior to a trade like Vancouver did last year with Horvat. I doubt that will happen though. Teams may be more willing to spend more if they are confident they can extend a player after trading for them but that doesn't directly affect a players trade value like an 8th year of term does. Generally speaking a pending UFA's value is based on the player and the market (ie Monahan getting a 1st).

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Is it really that bad. I don't think there was a bad overpay here. I think Monahan got what he's worth.

As the saying goes: once there's 2 two teams bidding, the price can get inflated.
I'd say so. I don't think in any previous year this version of Monahan would be worth a 2nd+C prospect at the deadline rather than a first and a third.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd say so. I don't think in any previous year this version of Monahan would be worth a 2nd+C prospect at the deadline rather than a first and a third.
"worth" is determined by the market, based on what Lindholm returned, a 1st for Monahan seemed pretty fair.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yes. Yes he does.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

Let’s put it this way : he was the best Flames defender in our series against Edmonton and he was at 50%. If he was healthy and played the whole series it at least goes 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad