Friedman: Leafs/Treliving have offered multiple picks to CGY for Tanev, but not their 1st round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I really don't like the idea of bringing in a top 4 defenseman with only 27 or fewer games left for him to get accustomed to the lineup.
Not enough time.

Jake McCabe who was acquired last year at the deadline apparently has only recently got truly comfortable with this new team - some 60+ games since the trade from Chicago, as an example. Or ask Erik Karlsson, first with San Jose and now with Pittsburgh.

In fact, I think this is the case with virtually any skater outside of depth players, but more so for guys on the blueline.
That plus the fact the Leafs have so few picks remaining and their prospect pool isn't great, I'd prefer passing on either Calgary D-man, or any other outside of a depth piece.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
For the right price I would drive him to Edmonton myself.

In a rebuild, players *should* go to the highest bidder.

Agreed but that doesn't always happen.

For Example I can't prove this but I'd bet my bottom dollar it didn't happen with Zadorov.

I find it VERY hard to believe they couldn't do better than a 3rd and 5th, I believe he's in Vancouver because Vancouver didn't need retention and because of that they got him for less.

Reactions: Fatass

Bond

May 10, 2012
Agreed but that doesn't always happen.

For Example I can't prove this but I'd bet my bottom dollar it didn't happen with Zadorov.

I find it VERY hard to believe they couldn't do better than a 3rd and 5th, I believe he's in Vancouver because Vancouver didn't need retention and because of that they got him for less.
Those are two different trades though. They took the best value without having to retain.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Just wait it out. Treliving will overpay and ruin another team. He says he values draft picks but gives them away like candy.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Let’s put it this way : he was the best Flames defender in our series against Edmonton and he was at 50%. If he was healthy and played the whole series it at least goes 7
I like Tanev and wouldn't mind having him on the Leafs, but I would rather pass and not get him than give up a bunch of valuable assets to get him. If he were in his mid to late 20s? Sure go for it. At 34? Naww pass. If the Leafs really want an upgrade on defense then find someone else who plays like Tanev but is closer to 30 or under so that you can have him for a few more years.

Tanev is a good player, but I don't think he's the difference between the Leafs getting knocked out in the first round and winning multiple rounds in the playoffs. As we've seen the past 6 games, its the team they have now and how well they play and how well our coach can get the most out of them every game that matters the most.

If the Leafs played like they did the past 6 games they have a chance to go far. If they played like they did before the Rielly suspension then they're not going to get very far in the playoffs. Simple as that.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I would stay away from trading for Tanev personally. We dont have the right assets. Id rather keep the 1st for a bigger fish if anything and look at signing Tanev in the summer

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
There's a reason Calgary is 5th best on the PK, Tanev would instantly make any teams PK a lot better, playoff teams such as Vancouver(21st), Toronto(22nd) and Winnipeg(24th) need a guy like Tanev. Conroy knows his value and so do the 31 other GM's. he'll get a 1st.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I would stay away from trading for Tanev personally. We dont have the right assets. Id rather keep the 1st for a bigger fish if anything and look at signing Tanev in the summer

I'd trade the first for Rasmus Andersson not for freakin' Tanev.

Any GM or team is dumb enough to trade a 1st for aging Dman who is a UFA be my guest :laugh:

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

Any GM or team is dumb enough to trade a 1st for aging Dman who is a UFA be my guest :laugh:
Well thats obvious, I would pony up for Andersson if he was available.

Only pending UFA I would think about trading our 1st for (off the top of my head) is Matt Roy with hopes to re-sign, but I would rather move it for a guy with term. Parayko, Larsson are my top picks but who knows if they will be available

Bond

May 10, 2012
If Tre trades a first round pick for a 35 year old pending UFA I'll f***ing puke.....Dubas v2
I actually don’t think he will. Not really his MO. He’ll get some depth dman or a guy with term. Those trades are variable lol

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Only pending UFA I would think about trading our 1st for (off the top of my head) is Matt Roy with hopes to re-sign, but I would rather move it for a guy with term. Parayko, Larsson are my top picks but who knows if they will be available

I wouldn't touch Parayko's abysmal contract unless Blues hold 50% back which aint gonna happen. Larsson I don't think will fit.

worst comes to worst leafs can just keep the 1st rounder and draft. the drafted player is still an asset that can be used in a trade if required

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I actually don’t think he will. Not really his MO. He’ll get some depth dman or a guy with term. Those trades are variable lol

I'd much prefer that, if a first round pick is on the table I have zero interest in trading it for another rapidly aging Defenseman, we already have Gio and especially Brodie who show just how quickly these guys can fall off a cliff.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'd much prefer that, if a first round pick is on the table I have zero interest in trading it for another rapidly aging Defenseman, we already have Gio and especially Brodie who show just how quickly these guys can fall off a cliff.
Add the the age factor Tanev’s injury bug history and it’s definitely a risky venture to pay a fist rounder for.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

Terrible sample size but admittedly I don't watch Blues games, but man he was absolutely dreadful against the Leafs....6'6 and just sitting there watching the much smaller McMann drive to the net and score was inexcusably soft.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I wouldn't touch Parayko's abysmal contract unless Blues hold 50% back which aint gonna happen. Larsson I don't think will fit.

worst comes to worst leafs can just keep the 1st rounder and draft. the drafted player is still an asset that can be used in a trade if required

Terrible sample size but admittedly I don't watch Blues games, but man he was absolutely dreadful against the Leafs....6'6 and just sitting there watching the much smaller McMann drive to the net and score was inexcusably soft.
Has Parayko really fell off that much? I thought he'd still be a solid top 4 guy. $6 million isnt even a huge amount either going forward with the rising cap.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Has Parayko really fell off that much? I thought he'd still be a solid top 4 guy. $6 million isnt even a huge amount either going forward with the rising cap.

He is 30 yrs old and is already skating like father time has caught up. He has his cup and his retirement contract.

Modern hockey is about speed and if you can't skate then you gotta be positionally really sound and use your wingspan like Chara did effectively for years on.

Parayko is done IMO; I've seen enough of the blues last couple years and he ain't it. He isn't playing for a contract or a cup so don't think he has any motivation to up his game

Also Leafs can't make a move for Parayko without moving some money out and there is no way Blues are going to retain 50% on his contract for such a long duration

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

You seem to be massively over valuing 1sts. Like you could offer all of your remaining picks for 3 years and still not get Andersson.

Going rate for Tanev is likely a 2nd and a third. But there's probably 5 teams offering that so whoever ponies up a 1st gets him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad