LeBrun: Leafs touched base with Bunting's camp this week for contract extension

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Less than hyman? your kidding right?

Really? You think Bunting will make more than Hyman?

Yes ? He’s not as good/established. I think around 4 is possible

Who knows but it's possible. I think term would be key. Offer 5+ years at $4M vs 3 years at $4M and the answer might be yes with one and no with the other.

Good middle 6F and $4M AAV could be a team friendly deal but if he wants to try to cash in as a UFA, you let him. Campbell round two... some sucker GM will bite on it.

Not sure what Bunting's agent will tell him but they should come to grips that he's not a top 6F on 25 NHL teams. Leafs gave him the opportunity to play with a very deep top 6.

Hyman was smart to go from the Leafs to the Oilers. Both have stars to play with.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes have you ? Cap going up , Muzzin potentially cooked and not many players locked in long term ..

I wonder what Muzzin is thinking in terms of the media and fans speaking towards his career being toast. He's scheduled to be reevaluated here soon right?

It's possible he agrees to delay his recovery so the Leafs can spend his cap space for this season and he comes back for the playoffs. Or he is done. Or he comes back for the playoffs with full intentions to play next season as well. In that case, Leafs can't spend his cap space past this season.

Age 33 and he does have a fair amount of milage but do we really know how close he is to going on LTIR for the rest of that contract?

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Really? You think Bunting will make more than Hyman?
Bunting is 3 years younger, has yet to cash in on a big contract, and plays a similar style of game to Hyman. He also scored more points in his rookie season than Hyman's best season and is pacing for another 60 point year. A comparable player in Marchment got 4.5 X 4 from Dallas, a state without income tax with only one years worth of production as well.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I wonder what Muzzin is thinking in terms of the media and fans speaking towards his career being toast. He's scheduled to be reevaluated here soon right?

It's possible he agrees to delay his recovery so the Leafs can spend his cap space for this season and he comes back for the playoffs. Or he is done. Or he comes back for the playoffs with full intentions to play next season as well. In that case, Leafs can't spend his cap space past this season.

Age 33 and he does have a fair amount of milage but do we really know how close he is to going on LTIR for the rest of that contract?

His teammates have talked about the situation to the media and it wasn't a "we want him healthy so he can get back in the lineup" situation, it was "he needs to recover so he can live a normal post-hockey life and spend time with his kids". The next concussion is going to seriously impact his quality of life outside of hockey, it would be absurd to let him risk that so he can play another period and a half before getting injured.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His teammates have talked about the situation to the media and it wasn't a "we want him healthy so he can get back in the lineup" situation, it was "he needs to recover so he can live a normal post-hockey life and spend time with his kids". The next concussion is going to seriously impact his quality of life outside of hockey, it would be absurd to let him risk that so he can play another period and a half before getting injured.

We are about to find out for sure shortly. No doubt the Leafs prefer to use his cap space cause he's clearly not the same player he was even if he returns. Possible he delays the recovery and tries one last cup run when his cap don't count and then goes on LTIR next year. Or he just goes on LTIR for this year and next.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. I do hope the Leafs, Oilers, Jets, and Flames do well in the playoffs. If all 4 make it.

Bunting has been every bit as good as Hyman was if not better

Would you say that is a eye test evaluation or production evaluation or a combo of both? Personally, I think Hyman is the better player. If both were put on a 3rd line with a meh center, you get more out of Hyman vs Bunting.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Best actor in the NHL. His flops/embellishments should get him an extra mil per yr.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
4.2 million x 7?

A little low but maybe enough guaranteed money he jumps on it.

His production does scream 5 to 6 million dollars. However I think that's too much for the Leafs.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

4.000 is 4.8% of next year's cap, and about 2% lower than what Hyman signed for.

Niederreiter and Donskoi are 2 of the latest forwards to sign for about that percentage. So unless you think Bunting is about as good as them, you're kidding yourself thinking he's getting 4.000

Closer to 6% (5.000) is what guys like Reilly Smith, Tuch, Garland, Coleman, Rakell, R.Strome, etc... got, which is much more in line with Bunting likely will and should get. In fact, I'd be surprised if it's under 4.750

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
I doubt the Leafs want him at much more than 2.5. 4mil is walk away money imo. He's not really a critical player and isn't useful beyond a 3rd line price.
Yeah, no. He's a good player,has heart, always in the thick of it. Scores goals, plays defence. I'd easily do 4 with term for him. He's a legit beauty. Anything under 4 with term is a steal...

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
I'm sure once Matthews is in Arizona, they shouldn't have a problem re signing Bunting or anyone else they need to resign.
Keep dreaming! I'm really only worried about how we fit matthews, marner, nylander and mcd in in 2026...It's gonna be tight!!

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
His stats are inflated because he plays with AM and Nylander/Marner. On any other team he wouldn’t get that opportunity. From PP to his line mates. I don’t have an issue giving him term but that number needs relatively low. I don’t expect he takes a total haircut but if he is chasing the money you let him walk!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Matthews did somehow sign in Arizona, that would lead McDavid straight to Toronto. Opens the roster positon + cap. But Arizona clearly can't afford 13M for 1 player.
I don't really want Matthews in Arizona, but they could afford one player at 13M. The issue is that they probably still wouldn't increase their internal cap, so they would surround him with bums, and both Matthews and his agent will know that, so unless he doesn't want to win the cup and is more interested in growing the game in Arizona, there is little incentive for Matthews to sign in Arizona.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
4.2 million x 7?

A little low but maybe enough guaranteed money he jumps on it.

His production does scream 5 to 6 million dollars. However I think that's too much for the Leafs.

You're not really saving much for giving up all that term. Especially since his 32-34 years will likely see a production decline.

If he wants 6+ years he's probably getting closer to 3.5-3.9 than 4+.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
His stats are inflated because he plays with AM and Nylander/Marner. On any other team he wouldn’t get that opportunity. From PP to his line mates. I don’t have an issue giving him term but that number needs relatively low. I don’t expect he takes a total haircut but if he is chasing the money you let him walk!
Zach Hyman had previously played with Matthews and Marner or Nylander and it didn't stop the Oilers from giving him 7 years at $5.5 million AAV.

Last season Bunting's 63 points in 79 games played was better than any of Hyman's years in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad