LeBrun: Leafs touched base with Bunting's camp this week for contract extension

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Considering the Leafs have let basically every UFA walk to this point, the fact they are interesting in an extension is news worthy IMO

Leafs have to try to figure out what kind of AAV/Term he is after. Better to do that now vs later. If they sniff that Bunting wants to cash in (like Campbell) by having very good stats playing on a very good team, he is as good as gone.

He's not a 60+ points forward on 25 NHL teams. But his agent will try to sell him as one. What GM falls for this trap? That's the angle I would take if I was Dubas.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
yeah not sure why anyone here would care.

Then avoid the thread and let it fall off the page. Otherwise if people so wish, there can be a discussion on the potential contract given this is the appropriate sub forum for this type of thread..

Leafs have to try to figure out what kind of AAV/Term he is after. Better to do that now vs later. If they sniff that Bunting wants to cash in (like Campbell) by having very good stats playing on a very good team, he is as good as gone.

He's not a 60+ points forward on 25 NHL teams. But his agent will try to sell him as one.

For sure. Bunting's value isn't even really in his scoring anyways it's in his style. Every fan base in the league hates him but would love him on their team. Top 6 pest who is very good at what he does and plays that greasy style.

There would be lots of teams interested in him at 3-4M AAV, especially given he has shown he has the ability to play in teams top 6. If he really wanted to chase the money he could probably hit 5AAV.

Also maybe worth mentioning he is best friends with Matthews who also is due for a new deal...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Then avoid the thread and let it fall off the page. Otherwise if people so wish, there can be a discussion on the potential contract given this is the appropriate sub forum for this type of thread..

For sure. Bunting's value isn't even really in his scoring anyways it's in his style. Every fan base in the league hates him but would love him on their team. Top 6 pest who is very good at what he does and plays that greasy style.

There would be lots of teams interested in him at 3-4M AAV, especially given he has shown he has the ability to play in teams top 6. If he really wanted to chase the money he could probably hit 5AAV.

Also maybe worth mentioning he is best friends with Matthews who also is due for a new deal...

He's not a top 6 asset. He's a middle 6 asset you are placing in your top 6 to get the best results. But yes, he does play a good energy game and shows up every shift. No doubt the Leafs would prefer to retain him if the contract makes sense.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He's not a top 6 asset. He's a middle 6 asset you are placing in your top 6 to get the best results. But yes, he does play a good energy game and shows up every shift. No doubt the Leafs would prefer to retain him if the contract makes sense.

Eh he's easily a 2nd liner. He's been played on every line and produces. IMO he is a top 6 forward with grease.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He is one player in the top-9 you can count on to play a gritty game. I would be good with a 5 year deal at 4.25M.

Rumor in the offseason was the Leafs were considering an 8 year deal to lower the AAV similar to some other deals like Tanev got. I could see 8 years 3M or something like that.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
I'll live if they don't re-sign him, but if we can get him around 4 mil for 5 years or less I won't be upset.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I doubt the Leafs want him at much more than 2.5. 4mil is walk away money imo. He's not really a critical player and isn't useful beyond a 3rd line price.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'm mich more comfortable giving Bunting a long-term deal than I was for Hyman, Bunts is 27 but has no bad injuries and very few miles.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The problem with Bunting is that people see a game or two against their team and assume he's in the Hyman camp of being a good 3rd line grinder that can play 3rd wheel on a top line, but Bunting can't carry a 3rd line like Hyman can. The grease is what you remember him for, but his ability to feed off of skilled players and use his hands to keep plays alive is what keeps him on the top line.

If you sign him long term you better be sure he can play top-6 for that entire contract, I don't see a scenario where he slows down a little bit in the back half of the deal and you get an overpaid but still high end 3rd line grinder. He's a lot more Lupul than Paul, Hyman, Goodrow, etc. 4x5 is a lot safer than 8x4 here imo.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
"Hey we're interested in signing your client to an extension, just wanted to let you know, okay bye"

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm mich more comfortable giving Bunting a long-term deal than I was for Hyman, Bunts is 27 but has no bad injuries and very few miles.
Yeah but with the style he plays at his size(he's not small, but not big either and likes to mix it up), you have to wonder how he ages, and AHL miles are still miles, especially since he likely played big minutes in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad