LeBrun: Leafs touched base with Bunting's camp this week for contract extension

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would think he would want (and deserves) a lot more.

Paul is doing very well as a complementary guy in Tampa Bay but he was a solid bottom six guy in Ottawa for his entire tenure there.

I think Bunting has a case for a lot more money.

I agree but remember he got offered more money then what he signed in Toronto for, and he's playing close to home.

Maybe It's a situation he wants to stay in.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If he wants say the Nick Paul deal, I think you sign that

Nick Paul was coming off 16 goals and 32 points when he signed that deal.
Bunting just had 23 goals and 63 points, and is currently pacing for a very similar season.

I agree - if you can get Bunting singed to a similar deal, you do it for sure. It just doesn't seem realistic. Especially considering Bunting has made barely any money throughout his career (relatively speaking) thus far. He's going to want to cash in to a certain extent. He can get 4+ as a UFA (from multiple teams offering) if he wants to IMO.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'm sure once Matthews is in Arizona, they shouldn't have a problem re signing Bunting or anyone else they need to resign.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree but remember he got offered more money then what he signed in Toronto for, and he's playing close to home.

Maybe It's a situation he wants to stay in.

We shall see.

It’s always interesting to see - do you go for a good playing situation or do you feel responsible to maximize your income during your prime years.

I don’t really think there’s a wrong answer.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm sure once Matthews is in Arizona, they shouldn't have a problem re signing Bunting or anyone else they need to resign.
If Matthews did somehow sign in Arizona, that would lead McDavid straight to Toronto. Opens the roster positon + cap. But Arizona clearly can't afford 13M for 1 player.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Considering the Leafs have let basically every UFA walk to this point, the fact they are interesting in an extension is news worthy IMO
If the Leafs connected with Bunting but not yet with Kerfoot and/or Engvall, then there might be some meaning to that as they would not likely sign all three.

If they really are looking to acquire a top-six left-winger, then knowing where you're at would be especially important before the trade deadline. Someone might end up going the other way.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
If Matthews did somehow sign in Arizona, that would lead McDavid straight to Toronto. Opens the roster positon + cap. But Arizona clearly can't afford 13M for 1 player.

He'll most likely sign a Hometown discount so that will allow space to put a team together.

But yeah you're right if he decided to go elsewhere, it'll be 13M.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I would love to know what kind of contract he’s offered by the Leafs.
Amazing bottom 6 player who can slot in on the second line and put up around 20G a season

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I don't think so, I think this gets done, remember he got offered more money then what he signed in Toronto for.

It's been a good fit here.
I think keeping him is the best move regardless. Every Leafs game I watch Bunting stands out to me behind the big names of course.

One thing is for sure, if he wants to test the market, he is gonna get a lot of dance partners.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
By the end of the season, Bunting will have surpassed Paul's career goal and point totals just in his 2 seasons in Toronto, he already has more career points in half the games. His agent would have to be really bad at his job to get less than 3 mil regardless of the term.

Paul isn't even a good comparison considering their roles are so different, there's no reason a guy like Garland should be making twice as much as Bunting despite signing under a lower cap ceiling and putting up worse numbers.
I’m not using Paul the player as a comparison. Just his contract fyi. He took longer term and short aav

leafs cant afford him especially when matthews $15m contract kicks in
That’s the year they have upwards of 60 million in cap space available correct? 2 years from now?

Also, isn’t Matthews leaving?

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I’m not using Paul the player as a comparison. Just his contract fyi. He took longer term and short aav

That’s the year they have upwards of 60 million in cap space available correct? 2 years from now?

Also, isn’t Matthews leaving?
good point. maybe he does walk.

as far as the $60m goes you have almost a whole team to re-sign so thats gone quick

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think keeping him is the best move regardless. Every Leafs game I watch Bunting stands out to me behind the big names of course.

One thing is for sure, if he wants to test the market, he is gonna get a lot of dance partners.

If he hits the market 32 teams will want him he will have his pick of the litter

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He was in Arizonna on December 29, Bunting wasn't eligible to sign at that point. He will be in Arizona again next season, but by that time Bunting will have signed already or will have left as a UFA.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
He was in Arizonna on December 29, Bunting wasn't eligible to sign at that point. He will be in Arizona again next season, but by that time Bunting will have signed already or will have left as a UFA.

You'll still need a new center in 24 when he takes the Train to Arizona for good. Adam Henrique is a FA then too and probably the most likely cost effective replacement.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You'll still need a new center in 24 when he takes the Train to Arizona for good. Adam Henrique is a FA then too and probably the most likely cost effective replacemen
Maybe in 2034 Henrique will be in his 40s by then.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
4 million at 8 years is probably what gets it done. Mike loves the Leafs, most of his family is here and he's great friends with Matthews and Marner. I don't see a scenario where he isn't extended.
Sounds a lot like what was said about Hyman, who needs money a whole lot less than Bunting.

Not saying he won’t re-sign or that you are wrong in general, but it’s very easy to see a scenario in which he isn’t extended… even if it’s not the likeliest one.

I think the Leafs get it done, but it won’t be at some huge discount (maybe unless they win the cup before signing)

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Five years at just a touch over 4m. Guy is a legit top6 forward who has the chemistry to play with our stars. The never ending cycle of guys who don’t actually cut it in that role is more than enough of an argument that Bunting is worth keeping. We need two more of him if anything.

Reactions: thusk and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3