LeBrun: Leafs touched base with Bunting's camp this week for contract extension

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The problem with Bunting is that people see a game or two against their team and assume he's in the Hyman camp of being a good 3rd line grinder that can play 3rd wheel on a top line, but Bunting can't carry a 3rd line like Hyman can. The grease is what you remember him for, but his ability to feed off of skilled players and use his hands to keep plays alive is what keeps him on the top line.

If you sign him long term you better be sure he can play top-6 for that entire contract, I don't see a scenario where he slows down a little bit in the back half of the deal and you get an overpaid but still high end 3rd line grinder. He's a lot more Lupul than Paul, Hyman, Goodrow, etc. 4x5 is a lot safer than 8x4 here imo.
Think you see a longer deal with lower aav. Like Paul. 2.5 x 8 kinda thing.

If he’d make 20 million over 5 years, well the leafs can’t afford 4 x 5. They’ll divide it out into 8 at 2.5 to stay under the cap

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm mich more comfortable giving Bunting a long-term deal than I was for Hyman, Bunts is 27 but has no bad injuries and very few miles.
Hyman is a much better player though. I think that deal will hurt in the last couple of years but he’s been full value in Edmonton so far. I’d much rather have Hyman than Bunting and the contracts will likely reflect their values.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

If he’d make 20 million over 5 years, well the leafs can’t afford 4 x 5. They’ll divide it out into 8 at 2.5 to stay under the cap

Not sure why he'd take less than Paul on an 8 year deal when his numbers are in a different ballpark. 4x4.5 or so is doable without much issue, he just eats Kerfoots money and we replace Kerfoot with an ELC that's timed with Bunting's deal expiring when they're due a raise.

On a long term deal you're probably buying him out or paying to dump him in the last 2-3 years of it.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
any chance they are scoping out his asking price to see if it makes sense to try and keep him and if not to try and recoup something at the deadline for him?

I know they are in win now mode but if they can put him in a package for something good knowing they aren’t going to be able to keep him would they pull the trigger?

His agent would get fired immediately for that. He’d be losing a ton of money.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

The90

Feb 27, 2017
any chance they are scoping out his asking price to see if it makes sense to try and keep him and if not to try and recoup something at the deadline for him?

I know they are in win now mode but if they can put him in a package for something good knowing they aren’t going to be able to keep him would they pull the trigger?

His agent would get fired immediately for that. He’d be losing a ton of money.
He can pack his bags then because the leafs simply can’t afford to pay him. Which is fine. But the only way to keep him is to stretch his aav.

They’re definitely exploring if it’s feasible. Did the same with Hyman.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I have said it before the ONLY depth forward that they have lost that I wish they kept was Brown.

My general thought on depth players, is that they are replaceable and that's what makes them depth players.

So I didn't really care about losing Kapanen, Johnsson, Mikyehev or Hyman.

Do not care if they lose Kerfoot or Engvall.

Kampf would kind of suck to lose but Holmberg looks like a potential replacement, perhaps even an upgrade.

But Bunting is somebody you find a way to keep because he's a great fit on the top line.

Bunting can get you 25 goals, he can get you 60+ Points. he's got the grit we all want.

He's a depth player but he's a depth player you keep

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
He can pack his bags then because the leafs simply can’t afford to pay him. Which is fine. But the only way to keep him is to stretch his aav.

They’re definitely exploring if it’s feasible. Did the same with Hyman.

I’m just saying that no one in there right mind would take a 8 year/ 2.5 mil deal instead of a 4 year/5 mil. You’d have to raise the contract total up with the added years. Maybe up to 4 mil a year or close to it.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Makes sense, he is a good player who likes playing in Toronto. Not really news that they are talking, hard to say if the team will be able to pay what the Bunting camp will want.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Toronto has to look to Pittsburgh when it comes to the two franchise centre model in the cap era and avoid paying wingers too much when they come up for renewal.

Either they can pad their stats for cheap or move on and you replace them with cheaper options.

They have already invested in Nylander and Marner.

Last edited:
Reactions: The90

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
4 million at 8 years is probably what gets it done. Mike loves the Leafs, most of his family is here and he's great friends with Matthews and Marner. I don't see a scenario where he isn't extended.
I don't know Bunting's situation, but this sounds an awful lot like the discussion around Hyman. Hyman was independently wealthy and lived in the Toronto area and he would never leave for a few more dollars. If Bunting goes for over 20 goals and 50 points again it will be difficult to keep him after this year if they want to field a competitive team.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I’m just saying that no one in there right mind would take a 8 year/ 2.5 mil deal instead of a 4 year/5 mil. You’d have to raise the contract total up with the added years. Maybe up to 4 mil a year or close to it.
I’d be curious what he’d get on the open market to be honest. Most of his production is because of his linemates. He is a useful player though.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Not sure why he'd take less than Paul on an 8 year deal when his numbers are in a different ballpark. 4x4.5 or so is doable without much issue, he just eats Kerfoots money and we replace Kerfoot with an ELC that's timed with Bunting's deal expiring when they're due a raise.

On a long term deal you're probably buying him out or paying to dump him in the last 2-3 years of it.
I’m just using an arbitrary number. I do think Paul would get paid more though. He’s bigger, plays c or wing, and kills penaltys if I recall correctly ‘Nick Paul does it all’ right? Bunting while a good player and is useful. Is a smaller top 6 winger who provides decently at both ends of the ice. Maybe he can kill penaltys too but we haven’t got the chance to see that in Toronto

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I’m just using an arbitrary number. I do think Paul would get paid more though. He’s bigger, plays c or wing, and kills penaltys if I recall correctly ‘Nick Paul does it all’ right? Bunting while a good player and is useful. Is a smaller top 6 winger who provides decently at both ends of the ice. Maybe he can kill penaltys too but we haven’t got the chance to see that in Toronto

By the end of the season, Bunting will have surpassed Paul's career goal and point totals just in his 2 seasons in Toronto, he already has more career points in half the games. His agent would have to be really bad at his job to get less than 3 mil regardless of the term.

Paul isn't even a good comparison considering their roles are so different, there's no reason a guy like Garland should be making twice as much as Bunting despite signing under a lower cap ceiling and putting up worse numbers.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto has to look to Pittsburgh when it comes to the two franchise centre model in the cap era and avoid paying wingers too much when they come up for renewal.

Either they can pad their stats for cheap or move on and you replace them with cheaper options.

They have already invested in Nylander and Marner.

Yes and they moved on from, Hyman, Kapanen, Johnsson, Mikyehev, Brown, probably Kerfoot, Engvall and Holl too.

This is the one you keep

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes and they moved on from, Hyman, Kapanen, Johnsson, Mikyehev, Brown, probably Kerfoot, Engvall and Holl too.

This is the one you keep

They got a bit lucky with Giordano.

I suspect Bunting will want a lot of years given his age so it will be tricky business as they may not get as many freebies going forward.

The Sens moved on from Paul for that very reason, as well-liked as he was in Ottawa.

It’s really up to Bunting at this point. I can understand if he leaves for more money, it’s his life after all, or if he sacrifices some dollars because he’s in a good position in Toronto.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
For sure. Bunting's value isn't even really in his scoring anyways it's in his style. Every fan base in the league hates him but would love him on their team. Top 6 pest who is very good at what he does and plays that greasy style.

There would be lots of teams interested in him at 3-4M AAV, especially given he has shown he has the ability to play in teams top 6. If he really wanted to chase the money he could probably hit 5AAV.

Also maybe worth mentioning he is best friends with Matthews who also is due for a new deal...
I doubt every fan base could pick him out of a lineup if he had his jersey on.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They got a bit lucky with Giordano.

I suspect Bunting will want a lot of years given his age so it will be tricky business as they may not get as many freebies going forward.

The Sens moved on from Paul for that very reason, as well-liked as he was in Ottawa.

If he wants say the Nick Paul deal, I think you sign that

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If he wants say the Nick Paul deal, I think you sign that

I would think he would want (and deserves) a lot more.

Paul is doing very well as a complementary guy in Tampa Bay but he was a solid bottom six guy in Ottawa for his entire tenure there.

I think Bunting has a case for a lot more money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad