Confirmed with Link: Leafs to sign Pär Lindholm

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Says it all WRT how far the Goat has fallen in the eyes of many Leaf fans. They should try to get a puck or two from the Habs before his value falls to zero.

The GOAT hasn't fallen at all.

Gauthier was a low ceiling draft pick that had an outside shot of being a bottom 9 forward in the NHL. I don't think anything has changed in that regard.

It has, and remains, a poor draft pick by the Leafs. With that being said, that's not Gauthier's fault - it's not as if he was projected to be a #1C and then fell off. He is what he is.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Gauthier was a low ceiling draft pick that had an outside shot of being a bottom 9 forward in the NHL. I don't think anything has changed in that regard.

It has, and remains, a poor draft pick by the Leafs. With that being said, that's not Gauthier's fault - it's not as if he was projected to be a #1C and then fell off. He is what he is.

he was supposed to have a high floor though, like really high chance of an NHL. That's what they said at the draft. I hate high floor players, it always seems like those are the ones that never make it. Im sure they said Nylander was High risk high reward but if he wasn't a 60 point forward hed still be a 40-50 point NHLer. The goat cant manage 20 points in the AHL

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

No doubt it was a bad pick. Panic move after losing to the Bruins in 2013 and being exposed on draws. He was projected to be a #3/#4 C but other than size, he doesn't bring much more to the table.

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
he was supposed to have a high floor though, like really high chance of an NHL. That's what they said at the draft. I hate high floor players, it always seems like those are the ones that never make it. Im sure they said Nylander was High risk high reward but if he wasn't a 60 point forward hed still be a 40-50 point NHLer. The goat cant manage 20 points in the AHL

The GOAT was never meant to be a scorer in the NHL.

The book on him on draft day was literally - big body, good on faceoffs. Not much offensive upside. Skating needs work.

Not sure where you get "high floor" from.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The GOAT was never meant to be a scorer in the NHL.

The book on him on draft day was literally - big body, good on faceoffs. Not much offensive upside. Skating needs work.

Not sure where you get "high floor" from.

high floor as in 4C very likely

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
To be fair all draft pick are at risk to fail.
I feel goat needs the extra time because so big guys need more time. Also his injury set him back this year.
I don't think he's sure fire to make the team but I don't think they have given up hope on him yet

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No doubt it was a bad pick. Panic move after losing to the Bruins in 2013 and being exposed on draws. He was projected to be a #3/#4 C but other than size, he doesn't bring much more to the table.

Size & faceoffs were literally his main upsides. It was a poor pick

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think they saw/hoped for more upside. He was an awkward, big bodied C with only 1 year of major junior under his belt when drafted. Pretty sure he went from AAA to the Q pretty quickly if not immediately.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Other than getting AJ at #202 that draft was a complete waste of time for the Leafs.

And its extremely likely leafs brass just said "Bergman give us a name for the 7th round, so we can go home" if they personally researched him they likely don't pick him, small skill player.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Burakovsky was how I wanted and would have been the right pick but the picks after him really are not doing better than him in general

Yeah there's a few names of players who have done well or have some upside that were picked after Gauthier.

Burakovsky is one. Skinkaruk at the time was the one I wanted. No idea where he projects now.

There was also: Shea Theodore, Ryan Hartman, Dickinson (the Stars are high on him), JT Compher, Chris Bigras, Adam Erne.

My problem with the Gauthier pick then, was the same with it now - it was a safe pick, in reaction to what happened in Boston a few weeks prior to the draft. Instead, I always prefer they gamble on a guy with a high ceiling.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yeah there's a few names of players who have done well or have some upside that were picked after Gauthier.

Burakovsky is one. Skinkaruk at the time was the one I wanted. No idea where he projects now.

There was also: Shea Theodore, Ryan Hartman, Dickinson (the Stars are high on him), JT Compher, Chris Bigras, Adam Erne.

My problem with the Gauthier pick then, was the same with it now - it was a safe pick, in reaction to what happened in Boston a few weeks prior to the draft. Instead, I always prefer they gamble on a guy with a high ceiling.

Honestly, outside Theodore (homerun) and Hartman (traded for a 1st), none of those names are really more valuable than Goat. At least not in any real meaningful way.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Yoy guys do know this is a Babcock team don't you ? we'll be nothing but undersize euro players plus M&M by the fall of 2019 .

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

IIRC, I think he was also regarded as being close to a guaranteed NHLer though due to his defensive game. If you're going to aim high, I suppose the entry draft is probably the better place for that compared to trades and UFA, but I guess that aspect of his game made him a safe pick, even if the offence wasn't going to materialize to much of an extent.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think a big flaw that happens at the draft is some folks (and scouts for that matter) seem to presume for whatever reason a player is “safe” because they lack high ceilings.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Wasn't Aalto supposed to do that? And Borgy and Rosen out solution on the 3rd pair?
The website that I Got that information from said he could be a 4th line centre and play all situations. I don't think Aaltonen was given the benefit of the doubt because we had eric fear and just signed Dom Moore. This guy has like no competition other than aaltonen.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Theodore would be the other name of value.
So far none of the others have done anything more than the goat.
I'm willing to give goat one more full year to see where he's at. I was thinking this year. It the injury he got in the playoffs last year changed my timetable. Time will tell. But I'm just glad we are building so depth at C

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yoy guys do know this is a Babcock team don't you ? we'll be nothing but undersize euro players plus M&M by the fall of 2019 .
Babcock loves his big players though? That seems like such a weird thing to say.

It's a shame that Gauthier had that knee injury that really slowed things down for him as far as development goes in a important year for him. Can thank good ol Jake Dotchin for that. Still rooting for him to get back on track since he sounds like someone we kinda need on the 4th line. Not worth using a 1st rounder on him but I think they can still find a use for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad