Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name captain today or tomorrow (pt.2) - MOD WARNING POST #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Meh whatever. Pretty much negated the whole anticipation for the C. Clearly just for image and clearly a babcock decision.

Ill let our core who has been here forever and drafted by us lead the team. Matthews, rielly, marner, nylander, andersen (not drafted but here from the beginning of this core).

Reactions: smitty10

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Tavares! Do us proud buddy! We miss you.

I don't know why you guys here thought it would be Matthews, I've never seen anything to suspect that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Great choice whether it is JT, Matty or Captain Morgan who would be my choice. Can't wait for pre game meal at Hot Stove. Get the prime ready boys. and 2 shots of Jack at bar beforehand with a Coors chaser.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
My reason for caring is simple. Superstars want the captaincy. They want the attention that goes with it. They want to be in the limelight. Matthews is a superstar, as is Tavaras. But JT has been there and done it and he wasn't drafted by us. Matthews was drafted by us and the second he was, it was obvious that he would be the face of the franchise. His rookie year drove that home further. Since then, it was always just assumed he'd be the next captain.

If he doesn't get it, I worry that he may never be completely satisfied in Toronto and may leave at the end of his current deal. It's not as if he's playing second fiddle to Crosby or McDavid, Matthews is a better player than Tavaras. Superstars want the C, especially guys who were always expected to be the face of the franchise

The captaincy should not be predicated on talent alone.

Tavares is much more suitable to assume the role than Matthews. Tavares is still an elite player in the NHL, he has far more experience as a leader, he is more adept at handling the media, and he is a Toronto born player.

What else can anyone ask for? Tavares is the most logical choice, regardless of the recent Matthews incident.

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and Beanzy

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Im ok with Tavares being the captain, I would have preferred it being the player drafted #1 and was ultimately the player that lead Toronto out of the basement prior to Tavares arriving. But its fine as long as Matthews doesn't get pissed about it. Which I can actually see happening. If it does I wont be a happy camper.

The best thing the Leafs could have done was name Reilly captain, put the A's on Tavares, Matthews, and Marner. That was what I was rooting for if it wasn't Matthews. Reilly at least has been with the Leafs the longest, is Canadian and is a leader already.

member 300185

My reason for caring is simple. Superstars want the captaincy. They want the attention that goes with it. They want to be in the limelight. Matthews is a superstar, as is Tavaras. But JT has been there and done it and he wasn't drafted by us. Matthews was drafted by us and the second he was, it was obvious that he would be the face of the franchise. His rookie year drove that home further. Since then, it was always just assumed he'd be the next captain.

If he doesn't get it, I worry that he may never be completely satisfied in Toronto and may leave at the end of his current deal. It's not as if he's playing second fiddle to Crosby or McDavid, Matthews is a better player than Tavaras. Superstars want the C, especially guys who were always expected to be the face of the franchise
If he leaves because he didn't get to be captain, then that speaks volumes about him as a person.

member 300185

Maybe Marner feels the same way you just described.
Only one can wear the C but it takes more than a letter to win and be a team.
Anyone that is bothered by that probably should look to move on.
The only C that should be on the minds of 23 players comes before UP.[/QUOTE]
clever

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I wouldn't be bothered as Muzzin as the Captain. Toronto doesn't need to be lead into being more like "Matthews", "Tavares", or "Reilly". Think pushing the team to the direction of having a little Muzzin moxy couldn't hurt. Sundin as Captain was a nod that he was the best, but Clark was a nod to be your best. You'd see someone like Nick Borchevsky not take bull from anyone.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Yeah there is no scheduled press conference either, would love it if it happens with the players introduction.

That's when it's going to happen. Which is why Im leaning Matthews. It's the best way to do it to avoid someone like Simmons ruining the moment with stupid questions. Let him come out, play the game, do a small scrum after. If it was tavares then they would do a presser.well come to think of it if it is tavares and they do a press conference Simmons will still ruin it by making it all about Matthews. f***ing Toronto!!!!

I think the best course is Rielly just to avoid Auston vs John. Let John and Auston have the "A"

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Yup, and the way Babs has been talking about him recently he's a no brainer for an A. He even referred to Muzzin as the team's 'social coordinator' yesterday. Glue guy. I'm not taking a leap here but Tavares with a C and Rielly, Muzzin and Auston with A's is the expected outcome for tonight...
I agree. This is most likely what will happen.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If he leaves because he didn't get to be captain, then that speaks volumes about him as a person.

Actually it speaks to how big of an ego Babcock has and how he is ruining the team. When it comes to his player selections and favorites over the past 3 seasons, to naming his captain. He never like Austin its shown with his ice time and now this.

I actually don't blame Matthews if he asks out, name me another #1 overall pick in the league today that isn't the captain of their team that drafted them?

Dating back to 2004 here are all the number 1 picks and their status with their drafted teams as Captain:

2004 - Ovechkin (Captain)
2005 - Crosby (Captain)
2006 - E. Johnson (Bust)
2007 - Patrick Kane (Assistant to Toews)
2008 - Steve Stamkos (Captain)
2009 - John Tavares (Captain)
2010- Taylor Hall (Captain)
2011- RNH (Assistant to Taylor Hall, then Captain, then Assistant again to McDavid)
2012- Yakupov (Bust)
2013- Mackinnon (Assistant to Landeskogg who was already captain when he was drafted)
2014- Ekblad (Captain)
2015- McDavid (Captain)
2016 - Matthews (Nothing, while Eichel and others in his draft are wearing the C or A)
2017- Hischier (Hall is there as captain before he was drafted)
2018- Dahlin (too soon but Eichel young too and has C)
2019- Hughes(TBD, Hall and Hishier in line)

So my point is, most players drafted number 1 if not a bust or a captain in place already has become the captain. If I am Matthews, I know I am not a bust. I did as much if not more for my organization then any of the players on that list in his first 2-3 seasons. And I am a star. Like Tavares got his due, Matthews deserves his.

Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beanzy

Nov 14, 2018

Tavares is much more suitable to assume the role than Matthews. Tavares is still an elite player in the NHL, he has far more experience as a leader, he is more adept at handling the media, and he is a Toronto born player.

What else can anyone ask for? Tavares is the most logical choice, regardless of the recent Matthews incident.

^^^ 100% this. Well put.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
The best thing the Leafs could have done was name Reilly captain, put the A's on Tavares, Matthews, and Marner. That was what I was rooting for if it wasn't Matthews. Reilly at least has been with the Leafs the longest, is Canadian and is a leader already.

It really seemed like a no-brainer to me. I'm good with whatever, considering it's really not going to impact whether we're ultimately successful or not. But Morgan seems like the perfect choice to me.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010

Agreed.

The fact that Tavares is a Toronto born guy seems way more important than choosing the guy from AZ (born in CA) just because we drafted him #1. And you can't ignore that JT is also a #1 pick. I think you can safely say we would have chosen him if we could have.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Tavares! Do us proud buddy! We miss you.

I don't know why you guys here thought it would be Matthews, I've never seen anything to suspect that.

@islanders board. One of your mates got lost...come get him...psssst he hasn't been harmed, but no promises going forward

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Agreed.

The fact that Tavares is a Toronto born guy seems way more important than choosing the guy from AZ (born in CA) just because we drafted him #1. And you can't ignore that JT is also a #1 pick. I think you can safely say we would have chosen him if we could have.

Tavares being Toronto born should have no bearing cause then it should have been Marner!!! Our top pick, born in Toronto, skilled and talented!!!!

Tavares had his time with the NYI. He chose to come back home to try and win a cup with an already talented team. That team was already lead by Matthews who instantly took a bottom dwelling team into the playoffs and single handedly almost beat Washington in year 1 of the playoffs. He then went onto almost beating Boston in 7 games leading his team once again. Before Tavares arrived it was Matthews that was the most feared on the ice, and when Tavares was signed it still remained that the oppositions best defensive options were on the ice against Matthews.

Tavares simply signed here because the core was already in place and it was promising. That was lead by Matthews. I am not saying that Tavares isn't worthy of captaincy, but I am saying he is lower in the pecking order after Matthews and Reilly who have been with the Leafs since its initial turnaround and are Toronto 1st Round Draft picks groomed by the organization.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Actually it speaks to how big of an ego Babcock has and how he is ruining the team. When it comes to his player selections and favorites over the past 3 seasons, to naming his captain. He never like Austin its shown with his ice time and now this.

I actually don't blame Matthews if he asks out, name me another #1 overall pick in the league today that isn't the captain of their team that drafted them?

Dating back to 2004 here are all the number 1 picks and their status with their drafted teams as Captain:

2004 - Ovechkin (Captain)
2005 - Crosby (Captain)
2006 - E. Johnson (Bust)
2007 - Patrick Kane (Assistant to Toews)
2008 - Steve Stamkos (Captain)
2009 - John Tavares (Captain)
2010- Taylor Hall (Captain)
2011- RNH (Assistant to Taylor Hall, then Captain, then Assistant again to McDavid)
2012- Yakupov (Bust)
2013- Mackinnon (Assistant to Landeskogg who was already captain when he was drafted)
2014- Ekblad (Captain)
2015- McDavid (Captain)
2016 - Matthews (Nothing, while Eichel and others in his draft are wearing the C or A)
2017- Hischier (Hall is there as captain before he was drafted)
2018- Dahlin (too soon but Eichel young too and has C)
2019- Hughes(TBD, Hall and Hishier in line)

So my point is, most players drafted number 1 if not a bust or a captain in place already has become the captain. If I am Matthews, I know I am not a bust. I did as much if not more for my organization then any of the players on that list in his first 2-3 seasons. And I am a star. Like Tavares got his due, Matthews deserves his.

Just saying.

Hall was never the captain of the oilers, he was an alternate.

McDavid was rushed into the C (how has that worked out?)
Eichel (how has that worked out?)

Reactions: DirkStraun
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad