Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name captain today or tomorrow (pt.2) - MOD WARNING POST #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I was just on the phone with my dad and said the same thing. When we gotl to games, Matthews jerseys FAR out do any other player on this team. And it isn't even close. He's your most marketable player and he's what our entire fanbase clung to the day he was drafted. It's his team imo
You do have to remember that when Matthews came here a lot of fans had old jerseys or none at all, so the obvious choice was to get someone like Matthews or maybe Marner because they were the shiny new toys and there wasn't anyone on the team "worth" buying a jersey for. A lot of people can't justify buying a new jersey every year or even every second year, so it makes sense that a lot of people didn't immediately go out and buy a Tavares one.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
People are insulting Matthews if they suggest he's immature enough to want out because he got an 'A' instead of the 'C'.
I don't see that from him at all.
We're not saying he'd want out. We're saying it will be part of his decision making process moving forward.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Its JT and I dont agree. Everyone has said its JT. Babcock decided.

I have no idea why everyone is still wondering who it is. Every insider is spewing the leafs lies about it always gonna be tavares which is a bunch of bullcrap.

Reactions: Sam Spade

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I have no idea why everyone is still wondering who it is. Every insider is spewing the leafs lies about it always gonna be tavares which is a bunch of bullcrap.
I love how you can say it’s lies when you have zero evidence it wasn’t always JT. Why must it be a lie? And some insiders were saying it before the Matthews incident so....

Reactions: Go4soda

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I love how you can say it’s lies when you have zero evidence it wasn’t always JT. Why must it be a lie? And some insiders were saying it before the Matthews incident so....
Because everyone was building it up to he matthews. The media, the city, the fans were all getting pumped to get that announcement. Then the pictures came out which is not known if real. All the insiders said it except maybe mckenzie which i dont remember him saying that.

Then the incident happened and the next day pretty much it was all about tavares getting it. Literally every insider came out saying the same thing “always been tavares”, “nothing changed”, “incident didnt change anything”. Its all PR by the leafs. They leaked it to everyone so that people actually buy the lies they are spewing. Plus babcock is all giddy about it saying it was the obvious and right choice. Players didnt vote clearly.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015

What don’t you agree with? JT being the captain?

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
What don’t you agree with? JT being the captain?
Yup. My list is matthews number 1 and rielly number 2.

This team needs a leader in their group. The group that has grown together for years. They know each other very well. They arent gonna have some random outsider who comes in one year ago and now told that this is your leader.

Its simple: choose from the group that you drafted and who has been here from the beginning. Then I look at on ice performance because that is what wins you games! That is the point of the sport! Who leads on the ice. Who do the players look to for going on the ice and carrying them to victory.

Tavares can be an A for sure. He is a great mentor for our captain but not the guy. I guarantee that the players would have voted matthews 1 and rielly 2. And who is the captain for? The coach? The fans? The media?

No

Its for then players. Let them decide. Let them choose their leader.

Reactions: Nylander88

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
At 34 and the captain of the team, why wouldn't Tavares resign? I don't get this theory by people. We aren't the San Jose Sharks, they aren't stripping JT of the C (if it's his), to hand it to Matthews. The torch gets past around here when a captain retires, moves on or gets traded. That's it. Tavares is spending the rest of his career as a leaf. For Matthews the C is now or never.
Is Joe Thornton still the Captain in San Jose? Didn't "Little Joe" take over there from "Big Joe"?

Not sure why it can only happen there?

Either way, I don't want Matthews as Captain so I am more than happy to see J.T. have it for the rest of his career.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
At the end of the day it doesn't matter so much because as Babs mentioned, the players had a talk about this so it's not like Babs and Dubas decided who it was going to be..I don't buy the whole 'Matthews will be gone if he isn't..blah blah blah'...I don't think he cares one bit.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

This team needs a leader in their group. The group that has grown together for years. They know each other very well. They arent gonna have some random outsider who comes in one year ago and now told that this is your leader.

Its simple: choose from the group that you drafted and who has been here from the beginning. Then I look at on ice performance because that is what wins you games! That is the point of the sport! Who leads on the ice. Who do the players look to for going on the ice and carrying them to victory.

Tavares can be an A for sure. He is a great mentor for our captain but not the guy. I guarantee that the players would have voted matthews 1 and rielly 2. And who is the captain for? The coach? The fans? The media?

No

I agree. It's Matthews 1, Rielly 2, Tavares 3 for me. It's a slap in the face to your franchise C to bring in another center and a year later that's your captain. Is Tavares even in Toronto without Matthews being here? Matthews is a big reason Tavares signed, he even said so in their interview together a year ago. If it's not Matthews you go with Rielly to avoid the conflict and let your 2 franchise C's wear A's. I won't be mad at all if it's Tavares...Toronto boy, great player, likely plays the rest of his career here...but I think he should be the last pick of those 3 imo for previously mentioned reasons. We get a good captain either way and it's finally done with though. Very excited for tonight.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines

No

Wow you are projecting your own thoughts and feelings onto the players. The fact is you have no idea what any of them are thinking or what they want.

Reactions: Go4soda

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Is Joe Thornton still the Captain in San Jose? Didn't "Little Joe" take over there from "Big Joe"?

Not sure why it can only happen there?

Either way, I don't want Matthews as Captain so I am more than happy to see J.T. have it for the rest of his career.
Did you argue my point that "we're not the San Jose Sharks"...by saying that it's happened...in San Jose? :huh::laugh:haha
Cheers brothers, I haven't started into the pregame sauce yet lol

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Wow you are projecting your own thoughts and feelings onto the players. The fact is you have no idea what any of them are thinking or what they want.
I agree with his points...but that's the silly thing about all of this...we truly have no idea what's been discussed in the room. For all we know Matthews and Rielly both said JT should be the pick. As long as the players had a say in this, I'm happy with whoever gets it.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Tavares will be the captain for 5-6 years and then pass the torch down to Matthews (assuming he re-signs)

Meh, the whole hold the C for a bit strategy isnt good IMO. Tavares would get it for 6 years min and then you either strip him of it or think he goes somewhere else. Matthews is an FA before Tavares so he wouldn't be wearing it when negotiating.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Actually it speaks to how big of an ego Babcock has and how he is ruining the team. When it comes to his player selections and favorites over the past 3 seasons, to naming his captain. He never like Austin its shown with his ice time and now this.

I actually don't blame Matthews if he asks out, name me another #1 overall pick in the league today that isn't the captain of their team that drafted them?

Dating back to 2004 here are all the number 1 picks and their status with their drafted teams as Captain:

2004 - Ovechkin (Captain)
2005 - Crosby (Captain)
2006 - E. Johnson (Bust)
2007 - Patrick Kane (Assistant to Toews)
2008 - Steve Stamkos (Captain)
2009 - John Tavares (Captain)
2010- Taylor Hall (Captain)
2011- RNH (Assistant to Taylor Hall, then Captain, then Assistant again to McDavid)
2012- Yakupov (Bust)
2013- Mackinnon (Assistant to Landeskogg who was already captain when he was drafted)
2014- Ekblad (Captain)
2015- McDavid (Captain)
2016 - Matthews (Nothing, while Eichel and others in his draft are wearing the C or A)
2017- Hischier (Hall is there as captain before he was drafted)
2018- Dahlin (too soon but Eichel young too and has C)
2019- Hughes(TBD, Hall and Hishier in line)

So my point is, most players drafted number 1 if not a bust or a captain in place already has become the captain. If I am Matthews, I know I am not a bust. I did as much if not more for my organization then any of the players on that list in his first 2-3 seasons. And I am a star. Like Tavares got his due, Matthews deserves his. MacKinnon is the only one to be given an A behind a current captain.

Just saying.

On that list, had you not made up a bunch of stuff, 5 guys have been named Captain of the team that drafted them - Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, and McDavid. So, of the last 10 first overall picks, only one has been named captain, and that has worked out quite poorly.

Nathan MacKinnon was given an A behind Landeskog. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was given an A at the same time than Andrew Ference was given the C, and Edmonton also went without a Captain a couple years later while Nugent-Hopkins was there. Aaron Ekblad was given an A at the same time that Derek MacKenzie was given the C.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Did you argue my point that "we're not the San Jose Sharks"...by saying that it's happened...in San Jose? :huh::laugh:haha
Cheers brothers, I haven't started into the pregame sauce yet lol
:)

As long as A.M. is NOT Captain, I'm happy - no "sauce" needed. :)

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
If that is the case, im curious why they didnt decude to gèt more points than Marner. Your take is a bit of a joke. Name another passenger who had more points than the carrier.
tavares wasnt far off and Kessel is a good player too but not great without good linemates. Hell, Matthews is great playing with me on his wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad