Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name captain today or tomorrow (pt.2) - MOD WARNING POST #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My reason for caring is simple. Superstars want the captaincy. They want the attention that goes with it. They want to be in the limelight. Matthews is a superstar, as is Tavaras. But JT has been there and done it and he wasn't drafted by us. Matthews was drafted by us and the second he was, it was obvious that he would be the face of the franchise. His rookie year drove that home further. Since then, it was always just assumed he'd be the next captain.

If he doesn't get it, I worry that he may never be completely satisfied in Toronto and may leave at the end of his current deal. It's not as if he's playing second fiddle to Crosby or McDavid, Matthews is a better player than Tavaras. Superstars want the C, especially guys who were always expected to be the face of the franchise
Maybe Marner feels the same way you just described.
Only one can wear the C but it takes more than a letter to win and be a team.
Anyone that is bothered by that probably should look to move on.
The only C that should be on the minds of 23 players comes before UP.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
When teams first started giving the captaincy to the best player I didn't like it.
Prefered the most respected player on the team to get the C

When the best player is the most respected you have the perfect captain.
Scott Stevens, Mark Messier, Mats Sundin, Bobby Clarke, Gretzky.

You even had the Dave Poulins, Mel Bridgeman, Foglino, Dustin Brown. Guys who were respected but far from the best player.

Matthews is our best player but isn't the most respected player. I do think Reilly and JT are these players.
End of the day I want the best leader and not the highest paid player by default wearing the C

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Maybe Marner feels the same way you just described.
Only one can wear the C but it takes more than a letter to win and be a team.
Anyone that is bothered by that probably should look to move on.
The only C that should be on the minds of 23 players comes before UP.
Marner hasn't even played in an all-star game..and he's the highest paid player in the league this year. He's already overachieved enough for now lol no C for him

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I was cool with seeing Captain Underpants get the C, but we all know that probably isn't happening anymore. So JT should be the guy to wear it.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
If its Matthews I hope they park a security vehical at center ice with an inflatable C in the drivers seat. He needs to skate out an claim the captaincy.

I just want to see his reaction...

I think it would be funny.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think we have 3 quality candidates, can't go wrong with either of them. Leadership isn't wearing a letter either, tons of guys who won't wear a letter will also have a voice.

Reactions: Leafidelity

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
When teams first started giving the captaincy to the best player I didn't like it.
Prefered the most respected player on the team to get the C

When the best player is the most respected you have the perfect captain.
Scott Stevens, Mark Messier, Mats Sundin, Bobby Clarke, Gretzky.

You even had the Dave Poulins, Mel Bridgeman, Foglino, Dustin Brown. Guys who were respected but far from the best player.

Matthews is our best player but isn't the most respected player. I do think Reilly and JT are these players.
End of the day I want the best leader and not the highest paid player by default wearing the C
Generally agree, but you left out George Armstrong!

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I think we have 3 quality candidates, can't go wrong with either of them. Leadership isn't wearing a letter either, tons of guys who won't wear a letter will also have a voice.
I agree but not for what u think. Tavares and rielly are the perfect support alternate captains to matthews. They can help him lead and be that more vocal leader while matty leads the team on the ice where it actually matters.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
A bunch of grown men caring this much about who is captain is really quite creepy.

Creepier caring about who the 7th round pick was in an entry draft.

At least the captain is a top guy in the organization being given a special nod of respect from his coach and management team.

Why do sports fans care about what other sports fan care about so much?

Coming to a message board like this to troll people for being interested in who gets that honor is only meant to get a reaction. Adds nothing to the conversation.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree but not for what u think. Tavares and rielly are the perfect support alternate captains to matthews. They can help him lead and be that more vocal leader while matty leads the team on the ice where it actually matters.

I think even if Matthews wears the A, he'll be apart of the leadership group and get to see a few more years of how JT conducts himself etc and the torch can get passed.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Tavares is the only one with the emotional maturity and life experience to hack it as far as I'm concerned but I'm sticking with my original position that there shouldn't be a captain. It just puts a target on a player.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
I don't really care who gets it. I think giving it to AM may be for the wrong reasons, he just doesn't seem to be a leader to me.

Morgan Reilly would be my choice.

I love them all so as I say I don't really care, because it doesn't matter.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
My reason for caring is simple. Superstars want the captaincy. They want the attention that goes with it. They want to be in the limelight. Matthews is a superstar, as is Tavaras. But JT has been there and done it and he wasn't drafted by us. Matthews was drafted by us and the second he was, it was obvious that he would be the face of the franchise. His rookie year drove that home further. Since then, it was always just assumed he'd be the next captain.

If he doesn't get it, I worry that he may never be completely satisfied in Toronto and may leave at the end of his current deal. It's not as if he's playing second fiddle to Crosby or McDavid, Matthews is a better player than Tavaras. Superstars want the C, especially guys who were always expected to be the face of the franchise

if matthews is such a baby he will leave after 5 years because was anointed captain, let him freaking walk!

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Can you explain the reasoning with Muzzin? He's been in Toronto half a season, what makes him more of a leader than anyone else? His beard?
With that said, how do you know Hyman is a "solid leader"?
Muzzin- Solid defensive dman, with a Stanley cup and several international gold medals on his resume. He's been a part of winning teams in the past, so that has to count for something. Someone who knows what it takes. It doesnt matter how long you've been with a team, it's what you've done during your career that matters.

Hyman- I dont actually know if hes a solid leader. But I know he works hard, doesnt take shifts off. That's a model all young guys should strive to be. It's his constant effort that wins me over.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Muzzin- Solid defensive dman, with a Stanley cup and several international gold medals on his resume. He's been a part of winning teams in the past, so that has to count for something. Someone who knows what it takes. It doesnt matter how long you've been with a team, it's what you've done during your career that matters.

Yup, and the way Babs has been talking about him recently he's a no brainer for an A. He even referred to Muzzin as the team's 'social coordinator' yesterday. Glue guy. I'm not taking a leap here but Tavares with a C and Rielly, Muzzin and Auston with A's is the expected outcome for tonight...

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
if matthews is such a baby he will leave after 5 years because was anointed captain, let him freaking walk!
See I would normally say that about ANY other player on our team....but matthews is different.

We have been begging for a number one center for a while. Now we have something better. He will be the best player of all time that every put the leaf jersey on if he stays. He is not a player you piss off at every turn. Other teams understand to treat your franchise players with respect and kinda like royalty (mcdavid, eichel, crosby, etc.).

Our team without him drops from stanley cup contender to playoff bubble team. How about we treat our once in generation player with some love instead of tough love? Is that so hard? He already has to deal with babcock’s stupidness.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
And chris johnston just revealed that tavares is captain. Supposedly matty was never gonna be captain (dont believe it for a second).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad