Post-Game Talk: Leafs surrender 5 and then fall short on comeback to Chicago

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can understand booing if the players are cocky and lackadaisical and throw away points that were in hand because of it. That might be a message. You shouldn't boo your team when they are trying but legitimately just struggling, that's very counter-productive. I'm not sure exactly where the last two games fall in that.

One thing though. If you have a goaltender that has carried your team throughout the season but is now struggling a bit and you give him a bronx cheer, then you are an absolute idiot. You might feel you have a right to, but you are still an absolute idiot.

Two guys 4 rows in front of us did that and took grief from all sides afterwards.
They never came back to their seats for the 2nd. :laugh:

Booing the Team leaving the ice after the 1st is less cut and dry.
I think that more comes down to those who shelled out for their one game a year, brought their kid and were disappointed.
I don't think anyone who attends often were booing. Other years they've deserved it, not this season.

Interesting that they played a video a few times last night about diversity and how to behave at games.
It wasn't specific to Leaf games but also Raptor, TFC, and Argos.
My last game was the Edmonton game two weeks ago so not sure if this started recently or was a response to what happened with Rielly on Monday.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leaf Fans: “Jake Gardiner is awful! Useless! Addition by Subtraction!”

*Jake Gardiner gets injured, teams play has suffered since*

Leaf Fans:

YBltFGrg.jpg

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
As a matter of fact one could argue that despite the fact that individual players are having great years this TEAM is actually worse than last years team.
I think we all owe apologies to Polak, Bozak, JvR, and Abendigo!

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Coaches should have more tools to get the team going besides yelling in the intermissions and changing the goalie.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
kadri was arguably our best forward last night and his line with 2 plugs swung a lot of momentum back to the leafs. seriously calling him trash over a puck bobble lol.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Top 6 on the Nucks....lirl. That's what happens when you match him up with top lines. Not his fault he's misused. He's a great gritty fourth liner. He was also a playoff beast fro the Marlies. Plays hard. Gets in the corners. Captain of the Wolves. All things we lack currently. Good thing we get Lindholm instead. hahaha. Or Brown for that matter

That should tell you something about the difference in depth. Good for Leivo for getting that opportunity. I've been a huge Leivo supporter this whole but he's not replacing anyone in our top 6, and he's more than a a 4th line player.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Leaf Fans: “Jake Gardiner is awful! Useless! Addition by Subtraction!”

*Jake Gardiner gets injured, teams play has suffered since*

Leaf Fans:

YBltFGrg.jpg

Gardiner's play and the depth available to replace him are two different things.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I can understand that, but ultimately, if they don't execute, who do you blame?
OR, does he get them ready and it 's not the right type of ready? You know what I mean? and they don't figure it out until the 3rd??

I understand what you are saying. I like Babcock. He does great interviews, is frank about the team, and says the right things. He knows what the problems are, and I'm sure that he communicates them to the team. Surely he preaches, start on time, and I'm sure he's frustrated with them, that they don't.

But, it's his job to have them ready.... If he's giving the right message, and they aren't listening to him... sure, that's the players fault, but ultimately they need a new and different voice, to get them started on time, if that's the case, and he can't get them ready. Not saying there is anything wrong with Babcock, but if they aren't listening to him, maybe they need a new voice? If they like Babcock, and want him to stay, they better start listening.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Our Leafs are assembled to attempt to outscore their defensive breakdowns and mistakes pure and simple.

They're not built to intimidate anyone physically, and their defensive play and player personnel on D makes them a liability to play a sound defensive game.

Unless Freddy masks their mistakes, its up to the offense to try and score 5-6 goals to win.

Its Russian roulette strategy, in a league built on "defense wins championships, and offense sells tickets".

Reactions: dsred

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
As a matter of fact one could argue that despite the fact that individual players are having great years this TEAM is actually worse than last years team.
Which leads us to the only statistic about Nylander that matters: Since Dec. 6 until now the Leafs record places them 10th in the eastern conference - not good enough to be in the playoffs (quoted from Toronto sports radio this morning).

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Since they only showed up for 1/6th of the game (10 of 60 minutes), perhaps every player should get paid 1/6th of their salary?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I understand what you are saying. I like Babcock. He does great interviews, is frank about the team, and says the right things. He knows what the problems are, and I'm sure that he communicates them to the team. Surely he preaches, start on time, and I'm sure he's frustrated with them, that they don't.

But, it's his job to have them ready.... If he's giving the right message, and they aren't listening to him... sure, that's the players fault, but ultimately they need a new and different voice, to get them started on time, if that's the case, and he can't get them ready. Not saying there is anything wrong with Babcock, but if they aren't listening to him, maybe they need a new voice? If they like Babcock, and want him to stay, they better start listening.
I, too, doubt very much that Babcock's liked the effort he's seen recently, and find it interesting (though not surprising) that he's shouldering a lot of the blame right now.

With the amount of still-developing kids in our dressing room, though, I'd like to see a vote of confidence for the coach, and I'd like to see the players understand that they're the ones getting paid a collective $79.5M this year to go out and play for 60 minutes a night.

We spent too long in the country club - I don't wanna go back.

Reactions: ACC1224

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010

Which also begs the question: whose decision was it to substitute big physical 4th line board-possession players like Matt Martin and Josh Leivo for diminutive water bug skaters like we have on the other three lines? Seriously, who decided this was the way to go? Coach? GM?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Which leads us to the only statistic about Nylander that matters: Since Dec. 6 until now the Leafs record places them 10th in the eastern conference - not good enough to be in the playoffs (quoted from Toronto sports radio this morning).
The only statistic about Nylander that matters is his own performance. He doesn't magically make the other players worse. They are accountable for their own play.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00