Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Santa! ( aka Mike Santorelli)

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Well, thats good because now we have the best 2 conditioned players in Polak and Santo.

Wait, we also have Bozak, Komorov, Clarkson (yes, not an ounce of fat on him), Bodie (beast) and Gards too. That is a fairly fit team so far.

Im loving it so far. At first I was like "here we go again", but Nonuts brought in some compete. In a week he has changed the look of this team.....ok, wait a second again....this is not Nonis work, this is purely Shannahans work.

Kessel :sarcasm:

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto

5idum.gif

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
You gotta give credit to Phaneuf. I believe he does actually work hard. I think he is just in over his head (not his fault, but Burke/Nons' fault).

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
That's an awesome gif.

Everyone's casually working out, except Phaneuf who is hulking it, and Kessel's just in the back row, dying. :laugh:

Dying? He's not even trying. He just doesn't give a ****. He's more worried about his hair on camera.

ThirdRowGreens

Nov 18, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, the Leafs have become competitive. This team will work hard, but are they really a contender for much more than one and out?

This looks like the old Leafs' management game of pleasing the fan with a competitive team that keeps the house full, makes a short playoff appearance, and keeps the coffers filling up.

This team looks to still be a bubble or just #7 or 8 team.

Not necessarily disputing your assessment of the team, but from a business perspective:

1 - The Leafs make way, WAY more money if they go on a deep playoff run

2 - They're now owned by Bell and Rogers, who make more broadcast revenue if the Leafs are good and people actually watch the games (unlike when Teachers owned them)

The leafs will always make money, we know that... but the old mantra of the team having zero financial incentive to do well doesn't apply nearly as much anymore, IMO.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
You gotta give credit to Phaneuf. I believe he does actually work hard. I think he is just in over his head (not his fault, but Burke/Nons' fault).

On hfboards? Never. :sarcasm: He's a good player, good work ethic, good guy, just miscast.

I think exhibition and pre-season games should be fairly competitive with players like Santa fighting for their place on the roster. Not saying they won't make the cut, that's ridiculous, but players like to make a good first impression and there's a top 6 spot up for grabs as of right now.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Girlfriend's a Canucks fan, she's upset that he's gone. Great signing by Nonis, if he can stay healthy he'll be great on the 3rd line/PK.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
what are the chances we can get Kane out of winnipeg while still retaining kadri/lupul?

Holland, Franson, Reimer, Leivo, 2nd?

Too much? Too little?

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kane
Komarov-Kontiola-Clarkson
Bodie-Santorelli-Frattin

That would make me excited.

when in doubt throw away your 2nd round draft pick...

Tyler Biggs*

I've seen Mike Santorelli play he is a skilled 3rd line centre gives the team depth and he's a good hardworking guy plus he skates fast and can score!

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Not necessarily disputing your assessment of the team, but from a business perspective:

1 - The Leafs make way, WAY more money if they go on a deep playoff run

2 - They're now owned by Bell and Rogers, who make more broadcast revenue if the Leafs are good and people actually watch the games (unlike when Teachers owned them)

The leafs will always make money, we know that... but the old mantra of the team having zero financial incentive to do well doesn't apply nearly as much anymore, IMO.

What old mantra? That view never, ever made sense.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
While the Leafs would make a lot more money going deep in the playoffs. But ownership would rather have a team that sneaks into the final playoff spot over say doing what Buffalo is doing and know they aren't going to make it for a couple of seasons.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yes but Kessel has the tension turned up to max. Look at his quads...this is how he gets that explosive first step.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Love this signing.

He'll likely be our 2RW.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Santorelli
Komarov - Petri - Clarkson
Ashton/Bodie - Holland - Frattin

Say what you want, but I am a fan of that lineup.
I am not liking the Lupul - Kadri pairing. It's a sheer defensive liability as a second line ought to be split. Otherwise, we need to shelter that line even more than last season, because I can see the pair becoming our weakness.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Excited to see how he fits in. Versatile guy, but if he's our 2nd line winger, that says something about this team :help: Could strike gold though, let's hope.

Tyler Biggs*

I'm so sick of this talk of 'one injury away from ....'. So many pessimists nag on guys like Santorelli without realizing EVERY player is one injury away from being out for good. This was a very good pick up for the Leafs and at a very reasonable price.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00