Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Santa! ( aka Mike Santorelli)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Leafs replace their bottom six forwards and depth defencemen and this impresses you....

I can only imagine how you'd be if the Leafs managed to actually add some real talent.

Yes, the Leafs have become competitive. This team will work hard, but are they really a contender for much more than one and out?

This looks like the old Leafs' management game of pleasing the fan with a competitive team that keeps the house full, makes a short playoff appearance, and keeps the coffers filling up.

This team looks to still be a bubble or just #7 or 8 team.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
He's really good. He was my fave player on the Canucks last season. Our team fell apart after his injury. Dude can bring the offense.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Guys this is a really good all around player.

He has some skill to go with his good work ethic and two way play...

great signing.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
leafs signing bargain deals, what is this new feeling i have ? anybody know

Very pleased with this deal but also intrigued why he left.

Santorelli is a Vancouver boy. Its not like we overpaid for him. Really glad he chose us.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Yes, the Leafs have become competitive. This team will work hard, but are they really a contender for much more than one and out?

This looks like the old Leafs' management game of pleasing the fan with a competitive team that keeps the house full, makes a short playoff appearance, and keeps the coffers filling up.

This team looks to still be a bubble or just #7 or 8 team.

This team doesn't look like it'll be anywhere near the playoffs.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Very pleased with this deal but also intrigued why he left.

Santorelli is a Vancouver boy. Its not like we overpaid for him. Really glad he chose us.

Maybe he looked at how Raymond went big on a multiyear deal after signing with the leafs and he thought he would replicate that same experience for himself.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Guys this is a really good all around player.

He has some skill to go with his good work ethic and two way play...

great signing.
When he was bouncing between the AHL and NHL in FLA and NSH his work ethic was lacking.

In VAN he was the hardest working guy on the ice and for a small guy he was very tenacious at puck retrieval like Brendan Gallagher although obviously not as valuable.

He can play the 2C in case of injuries but he's better on the RW. He produced a lot with Kesler and looked like a #1 line against the top teams in the West.

On the downside his production was a very small sample and his size isn't enough to wear anyone down. Most Canuck fans wanted him re-signed.

To simplify:

Santa >>> Mason Raymond

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
One of the very few signings I am looking forward to. We need a strong third line who can contribute here and there. Most teams have two good lines and if Kadri's line isn't hot than it's all up to Kessel. This gives us a lot of depth.

He's not that old, he's 28. His best years still to come.

Leafspoison*

At first I thought this thread was referring to Claus... but then I realized that didn't make a lot of sense.

Santa Claus is a good player. He is lighting quick, can handle himself in tight places, great guy in the dressing room, always positive.

His only problem is he comes into camp overweight. :yo:

Leafspoison*

I don't think you guys have a clue how good santorelli is. This guy will be on your first line by the end of the season, he is THAT good.

his two way skills are incredible, he is so stupidly underrated around the league, he played selke level defense.

He scored at a 55+ point pace, including fantastic speed, great on the PK, and best of all his is the BEST CONDITIONED athlete in the entire NHL.

You can play him 50 mins a game, and he will still not be tired.

Incredible work ethic also, He is going to be a fan favorite, the guy is amazing.

Well, thats good because now we have the best 2 conditioned players in Polak and Santo.

Wait, we also have Bozak, Komorov, Clarkson (yes, not an ounce of fat on him), Bodie (beast) and Gards too. That is a fairly fit team so far.

Im loving it so far. At first I was like "here we go again", but Nonuts brought in some compete. In a week he has changed the look of this team.....ok, wait a second again....this is not Nonis work, this is purely Shannahans work.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If Santorelli can replicate his season last year and sustain that production, he'll be your 1st line center.

Worst case, he's likely an upgrade on Bolland at 1/20th of the cost. Great signing.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Hearing Canucks fans chime in with such positivity leads me to believe that we have signed ourselves a solid player. The way he has been described gives me hope that he can provide more some of the drive/energy that was sorely missing last season. I also like that he was around a plus 10 and logged time on both the pp and pk. I wonder where he will wind up playing. We certainly need more two way type players in our top 6. Gotta admit, both C signings today- Santorelli and the fellow from Finland seem to have far more upside than McClement... it stung a bit when I first saw him sign with the Canes for a million but now it all makes sense.

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Haven't understood the Percy exile to the AHL. He has torn it up down there and is a top scorer on a very good team. He has at least deserved a sniff or two with the Leafs.

PERCY...a top scorer??
He was 47 points behind TJ Brennan in the regular season and 12 behind in 14 playoff games.
Percy is developing slowly as most D do. He was hardly tearing it up offensively.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Love it. Prefer a bunch of smaller moves than a Clarkson/Komisarek 3.0 signing.

Love that we've stuck with short terms and low dollar amounts.

This is pretty much how I'm looking at these move. Instead of making big splashes that end in failure, keep it low risk and potentially high reward. Leafs aren't a player away from contending - they need to stop using free agency as though they are.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Love this signing.

He'll likely be our 2RW.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Santorelli
Komarov - Petri - Clarkson
Ashton/Bodie - Holland - Frattin

Say what you want, but I am a fan of that lineup.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Love this signing.

He'll likely be our 2RW.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Santorelli
Komarov - Petri - Clarkson
Ashton/Bodie - Holland - Frattin

Say what you want, but I am a fan of that lineup.

I think we have the making of a likable team next year. Not necessarily good, but we'll play hard, high intensity hockey.

APV

Sep 28, 2009
what are the chances we can get Kane out of winnipeg while still retaining kadri/lupul?

Holland, Franson, Reimer, Leivo, 2nd?

Too much? Too little?

JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kane
Komarov-Kontiola-Clarkson
Bodie-Santorelli-Frattin

That would make me excited.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna