Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Santa! ( aka Mike Santorelli)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
we have too many centres now. Have to feel like there is a move coming with basically a full roster and 5M of cap space (once we sign our RFAs)

Too many?

Do I need to remind you of when we played two games with JvR, Holland, Smith and Smithson at C?

You can NEVER have too many NHL quality Cs.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Better playmakers and better defensively based on what? the fact that they didnt play for the Leafs last season?

Based on watching them play.

Santa and Bozak took similar paths to the NHL, but Santa destroyed Bozak in offensive production in every league prior to the NHL - the BCHL, NCAA, and AHL. Bozak lucked out at the NHL level by signing with a garbage team where he was gift-wrapped a role playing with a superstar and had better luck with his health. As I said he's a big question mark, especially coming off such a major injury, but he has more natural talent than Bozak.

Kontiola, well again there's a question of how he adjusts to the NHL ice surface and schedule, but he's clearly the more talented player if you watch him play much. Which you should have, as he was an absolute beast for Finland at the last two WHCs (Bozak wasn't even invited despite Canada being worse than Finland) as well as at the Olympics.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Does Kontiola or Santorelli play the wing or does Holland?

If all three play the middle, a little competition doesn't hurt either.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Really REALLY good signing. awesome work on this one from Nonis, definitely bumps his off season grade.

WhatASaveDave

Feb 3, 2010
toronto ontario
Jvr - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Santorelli
Komarov - Kontiola - Clarkson
Ashton - Holland - Frattin
Bodie

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly -Robidas
Franson - Polak
Granberg

Bernier
Reimer

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 2m
Wouldn't accept 1 year deal with #canucks RT @DarrenDreger: Leafs have agreed to a 1 year deal with Mike Santorelli, $1.5 mil.

And we are done on the legwand race. Interesting how he declined the nucks.

He probably declined the Canucks because he would have had to take 3rd but probably 4th line minutes. You guys when you see him play will probably do what we did last season when we had so many injuries and play him on the 2nd line more than the 3rd.

If he has recovered from his injury you are getting a cracking player, plenty of drive, quite a bit of skill, speedy and an eye for a goal.

He will be a fans favourite because he gives everything out on the ice. I will still have someone to follow on the Leafs now that Raymond has left. By the way I think he would have been lethal playing with Raymond. Stiil...

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
we have too many centres now. Have to feel like there is a move coming with basically a full roster and 5M of cap space (once we sign our RFAs)

bozak, kadri, kintola/santa/holland...one too many but I would think one ends up in the AHL

That being said I think Nonis has something up his sleeve. Franson was the one on the way out for the Gorges deal that never happend. And we ended up signing Robidas and not losing a player, he is a RH d. We went from 1 RHD to I believe 4 now. What move Nonis is going to make I'm not sure BUT I would think a D (Franson) is probably gone.

In addition Santa can play the wing SO if that is the case, we could still grab a center Ott OR more likely a center in a trade..and use Santa on the wing.

But I love these moves as well. Tinkering, not spending huge money or term. This way if they dont work out they go UFA. As well people I think are forgetting that last year we had a couple guys under perform..most are gone now ..the main guy was Clarkson. He had a career worst year. It is my opinion that he played with a nagging injury all season. He was suspended..came back, got hurt, and was in and out with injuries (the same one I forget which area) all year. I am looking for him to have a bounce back year.

I dont know if we are better, worse or just as good lineup wise with the moves we have made BUT..several things I like; low risk, high reward (possible) more RHD better for PK and PP as well as getting out of the zone. There are some ? as well but if they go our way then we could be a lot better. Robidas stays healthy..that is huge. Kintola is the player he was last yr in the Olympics and plays along side his commrad providing instant chemistry (jvr boz kessel) proof that chemistry some times is better than just a studded line.

The guys we signed are all character..give 110% kinda guys. It was our teams effort a lot of nights that wasnt there. These moves should change that. Finally...Frattin..I remember the Bernier trade and many people said..as I did..love the deal but sad to see Frattin go. He is fast, can score and hit...all we can do is wait now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think you have proven you take Bozak over Crosby, so really I could care less

When did you come to hate Bozak so much? You mention him in every post to me it seems. The thead is Santorelli. Not Bozak or Crosby.

And really why should I be excited about a bit bottom 6 player coming to Toronto? If Mcclement re-signed I may have been more excited.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We have plenty of cap space. Why are people so afraid of the damn cap?

We'll have around 5M in cap space left once everyone signs, excluding Franson. If he does stay, we'll 1 or 2M in cap space left.

We're fine. Stop making something out of nothing.

heck last year we were right up against the cap and got everyone signed in time. it's not an issue until camp so. don't worry about it, y'all.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
still waiting for that deal on Franson...

Yup...something is going to happen with Franson. That is my guess on our next move. We cant sign anymore UFA's..well we could but it wouldnt make sense. So our next move is a trade more than likely involving Franson..and of course Reimer IF a team finally gives Nonis what he deems fair. I would feel terrible if Reimer was the backup..for his sake. Class guy, deserves a better fate. In my mind 3 chances to trade him b4 he walks.. offseason, deadline day, draft...so I hope for Reimer and the team's sake something happens.

On the Franson front..though, not sure who we would target. We have our center's..unless they changed their mind on Holland. Nonis has said the kids will get a shot. If that is the case you would think we are done. But Franson being here with the new additions on D doesnt make any sense..so its a waiting game.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
When did you come to hate Bozak so much? You mention him in every post to me it seems. The thead is Santorelli. Not Bozak or Crosby.

And really why should I be excited about a bit bottom 6 player coming to Toronto? If Mcclement re-signed I may have been more excited.

Any1 hating on Bozak is an idiot. He may not be an eric staal, or crosby. He isnt a star. He doesnt need to be. The jvr Boz kess line was one of the top first lines in the NHL last year. Why? It's called chemistry. Who cares if he isnt what you would call a true #1 center. That line is amazing, they play well so leave it as it is. Now if we got a marleau or thorton, you put them #2 and bump kadri to #3. Of course you give Thorts or Marleau time with jvr and kess and see what happens..and I am sure it would work. Basically it would give us more options. To have a more elite center and Bozak who we know works with those guys...that is the kind of depth we need.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
so can we pretty much shut the hll up about how the marlies and how our prospects are doing?

They have now pretty much slammed the door shut on them.

play the kids, what BS!

so ehhh what?

ashton,holly and a 7th D?:shakehead

will we have the lowest amount of drafter roster players in the league next season?

something tells me ,,,,yes.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
so can we pretty much shut the hll up about how the marlies and how our prospects are doing?

They have now pretty much slammed the door shut on them.

play the kids, what BS!

so ehhh what?

ashton,holly and a 7th D?:shakehead

will we have the lowest amount of drafter roster players in the league next season?

something tells me ,,,,yes.

Nice rant, you finished. :)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I don't think you guys have a clue how good santorelli is. This guy will be on your first line by the end of the season, he is THAT good.

his two way skills are incredible, he is so stupidly underrated around the league, he played selke level defense.

He scored at a 55+ point pace, including fantastic speed, great on the PK, and best of all his is the BEST CONDITIONED athlete in the entire NHL.

You can play him 50 mins a game, and he will still not be tired.

Incredible work ethic also, He is going to be a fan favorite, the guy is amazing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We needed an injection of energy and skill at a cheap dollar value like this.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't think you guys have a clue how good santorelli is. This guy will be on your first line by the end of the season, he is THAT good.

his two way skills are incredible, he is so stupidly underrated around the league, he played selke level defense.

He scored at a 55+ point pace, including fantastic speed, great on the PK, and best of all his is the BEST CONDITIONED athlete in the entire NHL.

You can play him 50 mins a game, and he will still not be tired.

Incredible work ethic also, He is going to be a fan favorite, the guy is amazing.

if he's that amazing, surely the canucks would have signed him, no?? 1 year at 1.5 ain't exactly breaking the bank.

with all due respect to the canucks, they aren't good enough to not keep a player as good as you describe.

Orbital

Sep 10, 2009
Denver,CO
He's a right handed shot and can play the wing? I say slot him in the top 6. Ideal line up:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Santorelli
Komarov-Kontiola-Clarkson
Ashton-Holland-Frattin

Now that's a better looking roster.

Not too shabby! The only change I'd make would be to swap Ashton with Bodie.

mikebel111*

I hate Bozak? Since when? You even know he is one of my favorites on the team. I bring him up because you over rate him too much like he has a good D game when no he doesn't really. More like slightly better than decent.

You would be more excited about Maclement coming back? Really. He was a horrendous possession player and over rated D game.
Santorelli>Jay

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
if he's that amazing, surely the canucks would have signed him, no?? 1 year at 1.5 ain't exactly breaking the bank.

with all due respect to the canucks, they aren't good enough to not keep a player as good as you describe.

NEW GM new President. They don't understand how good he was

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
:laugh:

Come on now, it's the Leafs! What did you expect?

Seriously though, there's still room. Factor in injuries and guys like Holland, Ashton, Frattin, maybe even Carrick and Leivo will get their shots no doubt.

One of Percy/Granberg is almost guaranteed a permanent spot at this point, unless Franson comes back.

Haven't understood the Percy exile to the AHL. He has torn it up down there and is a top scorer on a very good team. He has at least deserved a sniff or two with the Leafs.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Am I reading some of these posts correctly? Leafs fans liking this move because Nucks fans don't????? Since when did Leafs fans listen to Nucks fans? :sarcasm:;)

You are also not hearing about all the Nucks' fans who are OK with it either.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: