Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Pontus Aberg, Tyler Gaudet, Kalle Kossila (Announce Agostino, Shore, Wilson, Gravel)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
With Dermott, Hyman and Marner both out to start the season (Marner could be there, but it seems unlikely) I have this for my opening night lineup;

Mikheyev - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen
Agostino - Kerfoot - Moore
Aberg - Spezza - Shore
Petan

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Harpur - Holl (shudders)
Marincin

Andersen
Hutch

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
With Dermott, Hyman and Marner both out to start the season (Marner could be there, but it seems unlikely) I have this for my opening night lineup;

Aberg - Spezza - Shore
Petan

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Harpur - Holl (shudders)
Marincin

Andersen
Hutch

I think Petan is ahead of all these signings

Reactions: teddygmr

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Aberg - Spezza - Shore
Petan

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Harpur - Holl (shudders)
Marincin

Andersen
Hutch
I'd rather see Wilson than Shore personally. Simply because Wilson + Agostino instantly make us a heavier team as they both hit a ton. We could be quite the annoying team with guys like Agostino, Wilson, Johnsson, Moore, Kapanen, Hyman. But otherwise I like the lineup minus that one personal preference and the 3rd pairing, but that's not your fault haha

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Maybe Shore. I think Agostino brings more, and Aberg has more potential.

@MyBudJT is gonna yell at me though lol

I'd rather see Wilson than Shore personally. Simply because Wilson + Agostino instantly make us a heavier team as they both hit a ton. We could be quite the annoying team with guys like Agostino, Wilson, Johnsson, Moore, Kapanen, Hyman. But otherwise I like the lineup minus that one personal preference and the 3rd pairing, but that's not your fault haha

I don't know much about Wilson. I'm not sure he's an NHL player or not. If he looks good in camp, I'd be okay with that.

Heck, it's possible we start Kerfoot on the left wing, Spezza at 3C and Shore at 4C.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario

Aberg - Spezza - Shore
Petan

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Harpur - Holl (shudders)
Marincin

Andersen
Hutch

I'd swap Moore and Mikheyev. I don't see Babs giving a new guy top-6 minutes right out of camp, unless he pretty much has no choice.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think shore is on the team and then a 13th forward battle between agostino/aberg/petan/gauthier/wilson (very unlikely wilson makes it), with agostino having an inside track

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Gauthier would be too, and Petan.

All of them should be in the AHL next year. If they are in the NHL, it is due to injury... And that would be a lot of injuries.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd swap Moore and Mikheyev. I don't see Babs giving a new guy top-6 minutes right out of camp, unless he pretty much has no choice.

It's possible.

Babcock did say Mikheyev was going to be a big part of the team, so I think there's a good chance he's in the top 6 to start if Marner isn't signed and Hyman is out

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Aww, thanks for thinking of me ;)

I'm not going to ever complain about NHL competition, and have never stated Petan is a lock to make the club. I'm just really interested to see what he could when given an opportunity to succeed (i.e. play with Tavares or Matthews).

I think there is potential there with Petan. I think there is potential there with Aberg, Agostino, Bracco and Shore too. If guys like Agostino, Aberg, Bracco, Shore blow away at camp, and Petan doesn't show up ready... then I wouldn't be disappointed one bit if they make it over Petan.

Reactions: teddygmr and qqaz

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

I don't know much about Wilson. I'm not sure he's an NHL player or not. If he looks good in camp, I'd be okay with that.

Heck, it's possible we start Kerfoot on the left wing, Spezza at 3C and Shore at 4C.
I thought that too. In that case yes definitely Shore over Wilson based purely on position. Wouldn't be shocked at all to see Babs have a gud pro in Spezza up at 3C if our lineup is depleted of Hyman and Marner

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Babs apparently helped recruit the guy so guaranteed he plays even if his spot isn't earned. Although who knows which line it will be

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He didn't have any issues with giving Zaitsev 22 minutes right out of the gate. I think Mikheyev can handle 14-16 minutes (which is likely what he gets) from the start.

I think that's less of a stretch than doubling Moore's ice time.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
It's possible.

Babcock did say Mikheyev was going to be a big part of the team, so I think there's a good chance he's in the top 6 to start if Marner isn't signed and Hyman is out
He is also very loyal to his opinions, so it’s a good bet he gives Mich every opportunity ;)

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Despite the depth we have now, don't be surprised if Babcock still complains about depth next season.
Dubas' reaction should be "sorry Mike, but Dan Cleary is not depth"

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Babs apparently expects Mikheyev to play a big role for them so wouldn't be surprised.
Interesting to see how he adjust with the language barrier and no Zaitsev or Komarov there to help. Heard with Ozhiganov that Zaits did a lot of interpreting for him in training camp drills so he wasn't as lost out there. Gonna be tough for Mikheyev to get it all together I think

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Interesting to see how he adjust with the language barrier and no Zaitsev or Komarov there to help. Heard with Ozhiganov that Zaits did a lot of interpreting for him in training camp drills so he wasn't as lost out there. Gonna be tough for Mikheyev to get it all together I think

Feels to me like this is something the Leafs should hopefully have considered already. I'd have an interpreter on payroll to join in practice and help Mikheyev.

Reactions: Nylander88

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Feels to me like this is something the Leafs should hopefully have considered already. I'd have an interpreter on payroll to join in practice and help Mikheyev.
You'd hope. But it's got to be infinitly harder come game time. They're not putting a translator on the bench and certainly he won't be able to communicate with linemates. Definitely makes a hurdle for the kid. Hope he can be found money though.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You'd hope. But it's got to be infinitly harder come game time. There not putting a translator on the bench and certainly he won't be able to communicate with linemates. Definitely makes a hurdle for the kid. Hope he can be found money though

That's very true. My hope would be that in the early going they'd use the interpreter to establish maybe keywords that he and his D partners could use in specific scenarios. At least as a baseline for establishing on ice communication.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad