Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Pontus Aberg, Tyler Gaudet, Kalle Kossila (Announce Agostino, Shore, Wilson, Gravel)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well that was unexpected...

Where are we fitting all of these players exactly? I mean the Marlies are absolutely stacked now but if we want Neuvirth and Marner then we hit the max 50 contracts. I'm sure Dubas wants some contract flexibility, especially when some guys like Kaskisuo may not even have a spot to play next year.

I'm expecting another trade or two to go down to open up contract space.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Marlies desperately needed a veteran center so I assume Gaudet fixes that.

Kossila would have been enough, and I think you could have got Gaudet on an AHL deal. He's a 4th liner in the AHL and I think I would rather just give a shot to Luchuk than give him an NHL deal.

Reactions: Growler

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Good numbers in the AHL. Any input on why Aberg hasn't put it together at the NHL level?

Based on a purely statistical view on him, he doesn't appear to drive chances offensively, and is poor defensively. He's awful in transition (might be the teams he played on had something to do with it), and doesn't create better than below average shots and awful at shot assists. All of this while being sheltered at 5v5 in zone starts and competition. He was also on a laughably bad Anaheim team where you can almost guarantee killed his microstats due to him having nobody to play with, and how bad they were at everything.

Seems like he's what people laughably perceive Nylander to be in "creates shot attempts fine, but doesn't go to the dirty areas to create chances".

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
wasn't Aberg considered to be a legitimate prospect like a year ago?

I don't mind it on name value or for the risk, but the possession numbers don't look good on aggregate, I'd be keeping my hopes low

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm excited to see if we can make Aberg into something as he's been garbage at the NHL level so far. I hope the Leafs can turn him into a Kapanen-lite, but I'm not too excited about it.

Of these signings I only think Shore and Agostino are the only ones to get semi-excited about at the NHL level.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
per CapFriendly: Aberg, Agostino and Wilson are listed as NHL deals, while Shore is an AHL deal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
per CapFriendly: Aberg, Agostino and Wilson are listed as NHL deals, while Shore is an AHL deal.

No.

They have him listed as a non-roster forward. It's still an NHL contract. They just have Shore, Kosilla and Gaudet listed off the roster, likely expecting them not to be there

Reactions: qqaz

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Capfriendly doesn't post AHL deals. They just momentarily have Shore on the "Non-Roster Forwards" section, which could change after trianing camp.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kossila would have been enough, and I think you could have got Gaudet on an AHL deal. He's a 4th liner in the AHL and I think I would rather just give a shot to Luchuk than give him an NHL deal.

Obviously it seems like they had to go to a 2way contract and seems fair. It doesn't matter much.

Kossila and Luchuk are likely wingers with being capable of spotting at center.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Aberg is Mikehevy insurance IMO.
I was going to say. Lots of us pencil Mikheyev in, but in reality most of us know little about him. And those who do know (mainly people in leafs management), really don't know for certain how his game will translate to the NHL. Kontiola, Lindholm, Ozhiganov etc. We have taken some cracks in the past at guys who seemed legit coming over, and really didn't have what it takes to be an everyday guy. Mikheyev with the language barrier and no translator in Komarov or Zaitsev may struggle to put it together here. I was very surprised/intrigued to see Aberg there and immediately thought...maybe Mikheyev doesn't make the squad now. Either way, good thing to have guys like Aberg, Agostino, Wilson when we don't know if we'll be entering the season without Marner and definitely without Hyman. Far from replacements, but slapping a Band-Aid on it. Aberg could get a shot in the top 6 with Hyman out. He's a righty shot but plays the LW.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Agostino isn't being claimed when he waives btw.

No one is claiming a 2 year waiver player.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I like it

Aberg can give Marlies some offense and can step into the leafs when we have injuries

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm excited to see if we can make Aberg into something as he's been garbage at the NHL level so far. I hope the Leafs can turn him into a Kapanen-lite, but I'm not too excited about it.

Of these signings I only think Shore and Agostino are the only ones to get semi-excited about at the NHL level.

Aberg has definitely not been "garbage". Maybe not as good as once thought to be but he's been a decently productive player with fairly limited minutes. He was doing very very with the Ducks. At the end of the day, he's a depth player though.

No idea how he'll do with the Leafs but I'd rate him one of the favourites to steal a spot in training camp. It all depends on the lines. Gauthier and Petan might be feeling the burn.

Reactions: qqaz and Nylander88

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Agostino isn't being claimed when he waives btw.

No one is claiming a 2 year waiver player.
Agreed. I think that's probably the reason/thinking behind attaching the second year. Leafs want to insure if he doesn't make it out of camp, they have what they think is a reliable call up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad