Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pierre Engvall, Jesper Lindgren, Par Lindholm and Igor Ozhiganov to ELCs

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Can you really tell the difference between them and the ones who make every thread about their lineup issues and or Babcock.
Yeah, because the babcock criticism is warranted, criticizing 19 year olds who are producing at a good level is not.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Yeah, because the babcock criticism is warranted, criticizing 19 year olds who are producing at a good level is not.

Where's the point of divergence?

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
When a person with a brain looks at the horrible lineup

So instead of justifying your opinion when politely asked for it, you opt for ridicule. Then again that's the fact-ignoring, egocentric culture we live in, so I suppose your kind of deformed response should have been expected.

You can't feel away successive increase in overall standings anymore than you can feel away setting single season team records with the same coach on the bench during the tenure in question.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
50 points would be reasonable production for a second line Center in the NHL. Didn’t Bozak only hit 50 points once in his career, by the way?

I think and hope that Lindholm will be in the mix for 3rd or 4th line centre with Aaltonen, maybe Freddie the Goat for 4th line, and whatever UFA the Leafs sign this summer

Based on the players the Leafs have I don't see right now a big difference between who might end up on either line, I'm suspecting instead of a clear 3rd/4th line like we had this year, next year the team may be best served with a 3A/3B line setup.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
So instead of justifying your opinion when politely asked for it, you opt for ridicule. Then again that's the fact-ignoring, egocentric culture we live in, so I suppose your kind of deformed response should have been expected.

You can't feel away successive increase in overall standings anymore than you can feel away setting single season team records with the same coach on the bench during the tenure in question.
Uh huh, yes I’m the one ignoring facts. Should I ignore the fact that matthews had zero goals while playing with hyman and brown? Should I ignore the fact that Matthews was pissed he didnt get to play meaningful minutes too? Or that he produces less overall when playing with blackhole brown? Cut the wanna be aristotle shit out. Stop being selfish, this is the singing thread stop trying to make it your own personal babcock love thread.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
You should come to Marlie games and sit with some of us and watch live hockey. I think too many go off of stats and computer analytics. Miro and Sparks were great this afternoon. Sparks has played well all playoffs but today he was exceptional. Miro best game I have ever seen him play and if he can bring that game to Leafs yes maybe he has a shot at 4th line centre. He was more involved today. Today I sat with Jim Dermott and a Leaf mgmt person. Jim's kid played minor hockey with one of my grandsons. A great kid and will become a great Leaf. The kid has a heart of gold and no fear. Great family. I can tell you might be a little surprised come training camp on who is on Leafs and who isn't. Anyways what you say about Holl is not shared by most. Did you even know that Dermott, Holl, Johnsson and Timashov are fastest skaters on Marlies in races? and it really is not even close.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
One thing is for certain
Engvall is a very good player and isnt invisible. Soft also doesnt apply to him, he seems to go into the corners, and willing to take a hit to make a play. Should be an NHL player.
Grundstorm is also really solid, and has a chance to make the Leafs next season.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
One thing is for certain
Engvall is a very good player and isnt invisible. Soft also doesnt apply to him, he seems to go into the corners, and willing to take a hit to make a play. Should be an NHL player.
Grundstorm is also really solid, and has a chance to make the Leafs next season.

I suspect Engvall is being looked at right now as a potential replacement for Marleau when he goes for early retirement. Another year of the kind of progress Pierre has shown should make him ready to step in.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Uh huh, yes I’m the one ignoring facts. Should I ignore the fact that matthews had zero goals while playing with hyman and brown? Should I ignore the fact that Matthews was pissed he didnt get to play meaningful minutes too? Or that he produces less overall when playing with blackhole brown? Cut the wanna be aristotle **** out. Stop being selfish, this is the singing thread stop trying to make it your own personal babcock love thread.
You're right. Matthews is not good enough to produce by himself or drive a line when he's healthy :sarcasm:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
You're right. Matthews is not good enough to produce by himself or drive a line when he's healthy :sarcasm:
Salt you confused? Its the signing thread, not the fail to make a stupid pun thread. Stay focused.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Salt you confused? Its the signing thread, not the fail to make a stupid pun thread. Stay focused.
Reign in your ego bud. You're the one staying Matthews couldn't produce with non elite players hence suggesting he couldn't drive a line.
I was using my sarcasm :)sarcasm:) to point out perhaps it was the fact he was not 100% and snakebitten, as he was still generating chances the whole series, as an alternative theory vs your "Babcock is a bad coach" theory

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Reign in your ego bud. You're the one staying Matthews couldn't produce with non elite players hence suggesting he couldn't drive a line.
I was using my sarcasm :)sarcasm:) to point out perhaps it was the fact he was not 100% and snakebitten, as he was still generating chances the whole series, as an alternative theory vs your "Babcock is a bad coach" theory
lmao salt, just lmao you need to open your eyes and look around the league. Show me a superstar player under the age of 21 who plays with worse linemates than brown and hyman. Thats all that needs to be said, no need to get emotional, its just binary; you're wrong, move on, you can show your love for babcock in other threads. For the second time, this is the signing thread.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
lmao salt, just lmao you need to open your eyes and look around the league. Show me a superstar player under the age of 21 who plays with worse linemates than brown and hyman. Thats all that needs to be said, no need to get emotional, its just binary; you're wrong, move on, you can show your love for babcock in other threads. For the second time, this is the signing thread.
Deflect dodge and parry all you like but it doesn't make your spiel any better

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Deflect dodge and parry all you like but it doesn't make your spiel any better
Dodge and parry? what the hell is this world of warcraft? LOL what is there to dodge? you posted zero substance. Yeah lets talk about matthews being "snake bitten", in case you didn't know, there is no such thing as hot and cold streaks... like the "hot hand" in basketball, isn't a real thing, nor is being snake bitten, this is pure fallacy. What the hell is there to respond to? The facts are the facts, he got pissed off at his usage and it was reported that there was a rift because of it. Did you even listen to him in his last interview where he was pleading to play with marner? I bet not huh, guy hates how hes being used, stop trying to pump babs tires. I pray that dubas will have the balls to keep egocock in check next year.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Dodge and parry? what the hell is this world of warcraft? LOL what is there to dodge? you posted zero substance. Yeah lets talk about matthews being "snake bitten", in case you didn't know, there is no such thing as hot and cold streaks... like the "hot hand" in basketball, isn't a real thing, nor is being snake bitten, this is pure fallacy. What the hell is there to respond to? The facts are the facts, he got pissed off at his usage and it was reported that there was a rift because of it. Did you even listen to him in his last interview where he was pleading to play with marner? I bet not huh, guy hates how hes being used, stop trying to pump babs tires. I pray that dubas will have the balls to keep egocock in check next year.
First I don't think you understand what the word fact means because your usage of it is wrong, unless you are Matthews.
Secondly your hyperbole, "pleading", makes your argument even weaker.
Matthews was presumably asked about it because Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos speculated Thursday morning that Babcock supposedly lost trust in Matthews down the stretch.

The 20-year-old center said that notion is totally untrue and that the media will speculate as they choose, adding that he wasn't pleased when he heard it being floated, according to TSN's Kristen Shilton

On another note, Matthews acknowledged he doesn't make the lineup decisions but said he'd like to play with Mitch Marner more in the future, per Johnston

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I suspect Engvall is being looked at right now as a potential replacement for Marleau when he goes for early retirement. Another year of the kind of progress Pierre has shown should make him ready to step in.

Little chance that Marleau goes into early retirement. It will be his last chance on being on a Cup winner and the Leafs have could be contenders. Leafs fans seems to look at his 6.25m cap and want to wish it away and not consider the person at all.
Yeah, I'm surprised at Engall. Seems to really developed in the past year, Grundstrom, Engvall, Johnston, could the LWers replacing JVR, Komarov, and Marleau eventually.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Little chance that Marleau goes into early retirement. It will be his last chance on being on a Cup winner and the Leafs have could be contenders. Leafs fans seems to look at his 6.25m cap and want to wish it away and not consider the person at all.
Yeah, I'm surprised at Engall. Seems to really developed in the past year, Grundstrom, Engvall, Johnston, could the LWers replacing JVR, Komarov, and Marleau eventually.

The contract Marleau signed is designed to make him disposable after July 1 next year. That is a fact. I don't expect Engvall to be on the Leafs as a regular until Marleau is gone (probably traded to a team like Arizona where he can retire but provide help for them to hit the cap floor). I'm not suprised about Engvall. I could see his progression well before he joined the Marlies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The contract Marleau signed is designed to make him disposable after July 1 next year. That is a fact. I don't expect Engvall to be on the Leafs as a regular until Marleau is gone (probably traded to a team like Arizona where he can retire but provide help for them to hit the cap floor). I'm not suprised about Engvall. I could see his progression well before he joined the Marlies.

Definitely hope Engvall can become a solid player for the Leafs soon enough.

I think Marleau signed here for more than just the contract though, more of which is bonuses rather than salary, throughout. His point totals also didn't dip this season, which was another full one for him. Unless something really goes awry next season, I'd expect him to (at least) play out the contract.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Who the hell is everyone talking to? Just hit the ignore button and be done with it.
:laugh: I was wondering the same thing
Tbh I’m really annoyed at hearing within the Leafs organisation “I have to get better at protecting the puck.” It seems to be a constant theme with players on this team. I don’t really care if you’re big or small, just learn how to protect the puck whether it’s with skill, speed, elusiveness, size or vision.

I don’t get to watch games all that often anymore but whenever I have it seemed Leafs we’re always chasing the puck, trying a stretch pass if the right players were on the ice or just throwing it like a hand grenade to center ice.

Leafs took a big dip in 5v5 possession this year and were bailed out partly by a dominant PP unit, 40% of which is probably exiting this year.

How I long to see Leafs play a game where they control their exits and cycle in the offensive zone. A strong possession game.
While I certainly understand where your frustration comes from, I think the fact that they're acknowledging it and trying to work on it is at least a step in the right direction. A lot of these guys are still pretty young kids, learning to play against older players for the first time, or in a completely new League on new ice - It'll take some time for them to grow into that man-strength, but that they understand where their weaknesses are is certainly better than the alternative.

Hopefully it's just a matter of patience on our end, and we'll see guys like Korshkov, Grundstrom and Engvall provide some responsible power to our Forward group in the next couple years. Current roster players like Matthews, Hyman, Marner, Brown, Johnsson and Kapanen should all get better at this as they get older and more comfortable at the NHL level as well.

Reactions: mavis

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I know players (humans) generally deteriorate with age but Marleau showed now signs of slowing down this year.

We may want/need him in that 3rd year of his contact.

If Engvall can become half the player Marleau is, we'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad