Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pierre Engvall, Jesper Lindgren, Par Lindholm and Igor Ozhiganov to ELCs

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
It's ok you don't have to address the fact that you were wrong to state your opinion as fact.
So you think it would be better to leave a struggling 20 year old future superstar on the ice against a seasoned vet hall of fame defender? Is that your coaching decision?
Salt, you aren’t a debating/confrontational person, just stop.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'd have a good long look at Aaltonen as the 4th line center
He PK'S plays a strong defensive game and he's done well on the Marlies with decent wingers

Try a 3A 3B type setup in our line construction and try for a speedier wing than Martin to pair with him and Brown

3A3B is exactly what I see, probably with Leivo instead of Martin.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Given my background, that is one of the most laughable statements made in these forums. Six years Honours post secondary in Finance, and Financial/Statistical mathematics, and enough course and accreditations in 25 years of financial analysis to sink a ship.

Even when someone like 4thline, or myself lays the math out in front of you, you ignore it, and then continue to spout the same tired line.

There is enough money there.... easily. Put the crayons back in the box son.

You don't agree with something so it can't possibly exist. I don't think I'm the one playing with crayons, sir.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I know players (humans) generally deteriorate with age but Marleau showed now signs of slowing down this year.

We may want/need him in that 3rd year of his contact.

If Engvall can become half the player Marleau is, we'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Lots of people here claim we need JVR and Bozak here next year. Doesn't look like that'd going to happen. I don't think its wise in the cap era to pay a 40 year old who might hit 40 points $6.5 million when we may need to spend that cap on players 15-20 years younger who are also capable of hitting 40 points and actually will be part of our teams future (if we don't have to ditch them because we committed to paying top dollar retirement contracts).

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm sorry, how have I been proven wrong? Has the increase in the cap for the next two years been announced? Have the contract for next years RFAs been announced? You and your palls have been throwing blatent and hopeful guesses in the air and claiming they are GOD'S WORD while screaming that my suppositions that they might not be accurate is heresy against GOD'S WORD. I'm saying things are 'likely', not facts. You, on the other hand claim everything you say is a fact so where is the link to all the contracts for leaf RFAs over the next 2 years and the cap increase for the next 2 years so your 'facts' can be verified and we can all stop debating GOD's WORD as you claim it to be.

Kindly supply those links from the future and I will be happy to shut up. If you are unable to prove the future exists exactly as you claim it does, then I suggest you take your own advice.
Yes - they have been announced.

Next years cap will be between 78-82 million. That has been announced.

The following year is said to be between 80-85 million. At a conservative estimate, if you were to assume that the cap in 2019-2020 is 83 million, the Leafs are in fine shape.

I'm sorry that it is not as doom and gloom as you had hoped.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm sorry, how have I been proven wrong? Has the increase in the cap for the next two years been announced? Have the contract for next years RFAs been announced? You and your palls have been throwing blatent and hopeful guesses in the air and claiming they are GOD'S WORD while screaming that my suppositions that they might not be accurate is heresy against GOD'S WORD. I'm saying things are 'likely', not facts. You, on the other hand claim everything you say is a fact so where is the link to all the contracts for leaf RFAs over the next 2 years and the cap increase for the next 2 years so your 'facts' can be verified and we can all stop debating GOD's WORD as you claim it to be.

Kindly supply those links from the future and I will be happy to shut up. If you are unable to prove the future exists exactly as you claim it does, then I suggest you take your own advice.

NHL salary cap to rise for 2018-19

As per the bolded in your statement, please proceed to shut up.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
NHL salary cap to rise for 2018-19

As per the bolded in your statement, please proceed to shut up.

It doesn't say how much its going to go up, though does it, because that hasn't been announced yet, and that's just for 2018, guesses all. Sorry, not any more proof than my projections into what the future might hold. As you state, your future prediction is a guess, and can only be a guess since it hasn't happened yet. And the contracts you claim players like Kapanen and Johnsson will be taking, they are guesses as well. Come back with proof of a confirmed like of actual numbers agreed to by the Leafs, the players, the NHL, or stop whining like a kid who doesn't get win whenever he wants to. Come on, where are those confirmed links?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It doesn't say how much its going to go up, though does it, because that hasn't been announced yet, and that's just for 2018, guesses all. Sorry, not any more proof than my projections into what the future might hold. As you state, your future prediction is a guess, and can only be a guess since it hasn't happened yet. And the contracts you claim players like Kapanen and Johnsson will be taking, they are guesses as well. Come back with proof of a confirmed like of actual numbers agreed to by the Leafs, the players, the NHL, or stop whining like a kid who doesn't get win whenever he wants to. Come on, where are those confirmed links?
I've had more coherent conversations with my dog.

The school system has failed you.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
ITT- "likely" = A combination of stagnant cap + Leafs giving multi-year multi-million dollar av contract to RFA winger with 5 points in 15 career games + Leafs giving multi-year multi-million dollar ave contract to RFA winger with one season as anything more than a 4th liner + Leafs needing to pay 6 top 4 quality defenseman (4 of them left handed)

"likely"

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Please post your numbers, assumptions and "guesses" to what players are going to get paid, to back up your assertion that there isn't cap room. Thanks.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Please post your numbers, assumptions and "guesses" to what players are going to get paid, to back up your assertion that there isn't cap room. Thanks.

After you've picked just one of your identities to carry on on this site as opposed to the 4-5 you currently occupy in order to try bully people who ever disagree with you off the site. You and your 'pals' clearly don't want the leafs to keep their younger players, and favor handing your heroes of yesteryear blank cheques. I hope the leafs don't plan to operate over the next ten years, because it's never actually lead the team to any success in the past, so I'm not sure why you think it will suddenly work now.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
After you've picked just one of your identities to carry on on this site as opposed to the 4-5 you currently occupy in order to try bully people who ever disagree with you off the site. You and your 'pals' clearly don't want the leafs to keep their younger players, and favor handing your heroes of yesteryear blank cheques. I hope the leafs don't plan to operate over the next ten years, because it's never actually lead the team to any success in the past, so I'm not sure why you think it will suddenly work now.
I'm really confused about what you are trying to accomplish.

Just so that I understand your point, what do you think the cap will be in 2019-2020 and what do you think Matthews, Nylander and Marner are going to be re-signed for? You can throw in your estimates for Kapanen and Johnsson if you'd like as well.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Spin, insult, rinse, repeat... but never address the actual topic, or question. Got it. :popcorn::laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nice to turn cold cash into two additional assets like Lindholm and Ozhiganov. Keep the organization stocked to offset the losses of Bozak and JVR to free agency with no compensation as well as the Plekanec misadventure.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I'm really confused about what you are trying to accomplish.

Just so that I understand your point, what do you think the cap will be in 2019-2020 and what do you think Matthews, Nylander and Marner are going to be re-signed for? You can throw in your estimates for Kapanen and Johnsson if you'd like as well.

Hi Fogelhund! Maybe stop assuming that the team should give blanck cheques and NMCs to 35+ aging and declining HOFers in favor of trying to develop our own youth and encourage them to stick around. You and your multiple personalities might figure out the math after that.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Nice to turn cold cash into two additional assets like Lindholm and Ozhiganov. Keep the organization stocked to offset the losses of Bozak and JVR to free agency with no compensation as well as the Plekanec misadventure.

Exactly. I did try to point that out earlier with examples like Borgman and Rosen but its hard for some people to imagine getting good young players any other way than through the draft (they kind of forgot how we got Bozak, for instance.)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hi Fogelhund! Maybe stop assuming that the team should give blanck cheques and NMCs to 35+ aging and declining HOFers in favor of trying to develop our own youth and encourage them to stick around. You and your multiple personalities might figure out the math after that.
You've dipped into the sauce tonight. You should sign off of the internet.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. You're insinuating that I implied I want the Leafs to move away from Marner, Matthews and Nylander? If that's what you're getting at, I've said nothing of the sort.

You're having a meltdown online.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Exactly. I did try to point that out earlier with examples like Borgman and Rosen but its hard for some people to imagine getting good young players any other way than through the draft (they kind of forgot how we got Bozak, for instance.)

This is just good housekeeping all teams that are well run need to do every season. When you look at mature programs that have been in contention for a while, you're always surprised at where all their solid supporting cast came from. Like Boston. None of Krug, Boychuk, McQuaid, Miller, Miller were first or second rounders or were big splashy deals. Just housekeeping acquisitions that were developed into above average contributors.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

^^^I swear this guy is fighting with invisible posts the rest of us can't see. All I took from this guy is we're sacrificing youth in order to play Marleau and all of us are in on this conspiracy lol.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You've dipped into the sauce tonight. You should sign off of the internet.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. You're insinuating that I implied I want the Leafs to move away from Marner, Matthews and Nylander? If that's what you're getting at, I've said nothing of the sort.

You're having a meltdown online.

You do seem to love accusing people of saying things they never said. Talk about projecting Fogelhund/Leafchief. My point is if you pay the young supporting cast a little more, you get to keep them longer. The only reason you have to be so ultra cheap with them with $1 million dollar 1-2 year mini-bridge contracts is in order to keep a 40 year old around one year and maybe add a couple of his pals for good measure and sweet retirement contracts. Why sacrifice several years of an amazing supporting player at relatively low cost in the future just to keep an aging and declining vet or two on your team to take up the maximum cap your blank cheque will provide? Do you really think hanging onto oldster wingers like Marleau and adding some of his pals who were good maybe 10 years ago at a massive premium is going to win us the cup? Certainly didn't look like that this year, and the team is knee deep in talent on the wings to boot. FYI, it also never worked before. If it had, we would have had a cup under Quinn. Instead we spread our talented youth around the league, trading them for peanuts while chasing old guys like you and your pals want the Leafs to do again. Those you refuse to learn from history...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad