Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Kurtis Gabriel to 1 year contract (750k)

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Ok now. For all who don’t like this signing fine. You however have to notice the change in focus Dubas has taken in who he is signing with Gabriel,Bunting,Ritchie and Simmonds.Our new goalie is a high spirited hot head too in case nobody knew.
He is adding pkayers with fire in their attitude. It’s a new direction in philosophy you are seeing.Who was Keefe going to tap on the shoulder last year with just Simmonds on the bench when he wanted someone settled down.
Like it or not it is a change in direction. I don’t think he sees a game for the Marlies actually. We’ll see. Not saying he won’t be a healthy scratch and sharing playing time. I just say he won’t be a Marlie.
I just wish we hadn't wasted 3 years for Kyle to learn hockey.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I just wish we hadn't wasted 3 years for Kyle to learn hockey.
He really really did waste 3 yearsvwith his smarter than the game approach. I think Shinnyhan encouraged this also actually. The statements this guy has come out with against physical play was disgusting and showed his inexperience managing also. Dubas and Shanahan blew it. You can’t win with a gutless team top to bottom. Just doesn’t happen. The smarter than the game approach cost us years

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He really really did waste 3 yearsvwith his smarter than the game approach. I think Shinnyhan encouraged this also actually. The statements this guy has come out with against physical play was disgusting and showed his inexperience managing also. Dubas and Shanahan blew it. You can’t win with a gutless team top to bottom. Just doesn’t happen. The smarter than the game approach cost us years

It's almost like you haven't even watched this team for three years. If that's what you think the problem has been, you've completely missed the plot.

Reactions: teddygmr

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It's almost like you haven't even watched this team for three years. If that's what you think the problem has been, you've completely missed the plot.
I wouldn’t have missed anything if i did eh.He built soft sh!tty cowardly teams. You seeing the change in direction? I wish I didn’t watch it some days. Maybe you are the skill and only skill wins believer. I’m definitely not. Lots of us on here knew these teams were constructed wrong for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulhiggins

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
And to con such a large portion of the fanbase into going along with thinking we've just re-invented the sport was a masterstroke in fairness.

Normal, sane, independent thinking people were brainwashed in no time into thinking we're at the forefront of the new dawn.

Ultimately, Kyle has changed course seeing that no other team were following and we'll fall back in line. But a lot of damage has been done, a lot of assets squandered and we're back to playing catch up.

Very, very frustrating.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
And to con such a large portion of the fanbase into going along with thinking we've just re-invented the sport was a masterstroke in fairness.

Normal, sane, independent thinking people were brainwashed in no time into thinking we're at the forefront of the new dawn.

Ultimately, Kyle has changed course seeing that no other team were following and we'll fall back in line. But a lot of damage has been done, a lot of assets squandered and we're back to playing catch up.

Very, very frustrating.
It wasn’t tried before and by the results probably won’t be tried again. Skill is good to the full degree but that nasty needs to be in fair supply to go with it in the same player. It was non existent. I like Brooks better than Engvall if we are waiving players that aren’t especially physical. Mikheyev you love his defense but after that there isn’t much you like. He can go too. I like speed obviously in the game today. You need it. That exposes Simmonds and Spezza. Respect aside for those two, we could be upgraded there too etc

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It wasn’t tried before and by the results probably won’t be tried again. Skill is good to the full degree but that nasty needs to be in fair supply to go with it in the same player. It was non existent. I like Brooks better than Engvall if we are waiving players that aren’t especially physical. Mikheyev you love his defense but after that there isn’t much you like. He can go too. I like speed obviously in the game today. You need it. That exposes Simmonds and Spezza. Respect aside for those two, we could be upgraded there too etc

Dubas has been adding toughness and defense from day one.

Reactions: banks and Menzinger

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Took Reeves best shot flush and did not flinch .. we finally have true tough guys .. between Nick and Kurtis we now have 2 of top 5 toughest/strongest guys in hockey

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I wouldn’t have missed anything if i did eh.He built soft sh!tty cowardly teams. You seeing the change in direction? I wish I didn’t watch it some days. Maybe you are the skill and only skill wins believer. I’m definitely not. Lots of us on here knew these teams were constructed wrong for years.

Then don’t watch it.

Making bad assumptions about what I believe, or don’t, just results in bad assumptions.

It’s clear, that you are suffering from creating a thin thread, to support a pre-conceived notion… but you are are wrong. Flat out wrong.

This team needs to be, and play tougher. But that’s not why they’ve lost the last two years, and changing the makeup, to be tougher, won’t fix it either.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Then don’t watch it.

Making bad assumptions about what I believe, or don’t, just results in bad assumptions.

It’s clear, that you are suffering from creating a thin thread, to support a pre-conceived notion… but you are are wrong. Flat out wrong.

This team needs to be, and play tougher. But that’s not why they’ve lost the last two years, and changing the makeup, to be tougher, won’t fix it either.
Mumbo jumbo. Wow. I wasn’t talking to youneither when you jumped in with a assumption. Go shake yer pullow

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dubas has been adding toughness and defense from day one.
Wow sure ok. You will say Muzzin. He’s a wimp. I will say kadri was tougher to play and he went backwards on the whole. Gabriel,Ritchie,bunting haven’t played a game yet. So who are all these warriors

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Took Reeves best shot flush and did not flinch .. we finally have true tough guys .. between Nick and Kurtis we now have 2 of top 5 toughest/strongest guys in hockey

Ritchie is a hammer but likely gets to play more with Gabriel around to straighten out things. The refs hate our yellow bunch of wimps. The tougher we get the more they will respect us when they get to argue with men instead of whining tools.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Based on his post-signing interview, I'm very much in favor of Gabriel being a Leaf.
Expecting a guy with 49 games of experience in the show, at the age of 28, to become a difference maker...I'm not buying it.
Injuries and purpose based decisions might see him dress for 10-15 games this season. That should amount to 1 or 2 points and 30-45 penalty minutes, based on past performance. At best, he's a 'statement' player on the ice and a 'glue' guy off the ice.
I'm ok with that.

Reactions: Duffman955

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is it expected he’ll be in the lineup most nights?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Wow sure ok. You will say Muzzin. He’s a wimp. I will say kadri was tougher to play and he went backwards on the whole. Gabriel,Ritchie,bunting haven’t played a game yet. So who are all these warriors
Trading Marchment for Malgin is the personification of Kyle and how he thought the game. Fortunately, someone seems to have gotten to him to knock off this nonsense.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Trading your 25-year old AHLer who is one year from UFA for a better, younger player is a pretty good way to think the game. It's amazing that people are still talking about this minor transaction a year and a half later.

Yep, Malgin is so good he left the NHL to play in Europe after playing a grand total of 8 NHL games since the trade :laugh:

Meanwhile Marchment has been a regular contributor for the Florida Panthers, appearing in 33 regular season games as well as playoffs games (he had 2 more goals than Marner and Matthews combined this year in the playoffs).

Very poor trade by Kyle and a very inaccurate/misleading/deceptive/terrible post by you.

Par for the course, though.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Yep, Malgin is so good he left the NHL to play in Europe after playing 8 games since the trade :laugh:

Meanwhile Marchment has been a regular contributor for the Florida Panthers, appearing in 33 regular season games as well as playoffs games (he had 2 more goals than Marner and Matthews combined this year).

Very poor trade by Kyle and a very inaccurate/misleading/deceptive/terrible post by you.

Par for the course, though.

Good for things to work out for Marchment. But he did nothing with the organization to say he was going to be a regular. He still isn't.
He played 33 games. Maybe wait to see if he can play 82. Everyone looks on snapshots, small sample size

If you are going to be concerned with small sample size, Barabanov is clearly next Panarin.

I truly wish he manages to get a spot in NHL. I loved his dad and want nothing but the best for him. Seems like a good kid and those dreamy eyes

Same with Verhaege. There is no guranteed these guys would have had the same opportunity playing for the leafs

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Good for things to work out for Marchment. But he did nothing with the organization to say he was going to be a regular. He still isn't.
He played 33 games. Maybe wait to see if he can play 82. Everyone looks on snapshots, small sample size

If you are going to be concerned with small sample size, Barabanov is clearly next Panarin.

I truly wish he manages to get a spot in NHL. I loved his dad and want nothing but the best for him. Seems like a good kid and those dreamy eyes

Same with Verhaege. There is no guranteed these guys would have had the same opportunity playing for the leafs

Ok but that's not the same as suggesting a young player who's making regular season and playoff impact with an actual NHL team is somehow worse than a guy who can't even crack an NHL roster and had to go play in Europe.

That should be obvious.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yep, Malgin is so good he left the NHL to play in Europe after playing 8 games since the trade
He played in Europe due to the pandemic. He's still under team control. He has played 149 more NHL games than Marchment, and did better in them.
Meanwhile Marchment has been a regular contributor for the Florida Panthers
Not exactly "regular", or much of a "contributor", but all that tells me is we're doing a better job depth-wise than Florida.
(he had 2 more goals than Marner and Matthews combined this year in the playoffs)
Not only is that not true (and very misleading because he had a whole 2 points in the series playing with Barkov), Marchment was on the ice for twice as many goals against as goals for in the playoffs.
Very poor trade by Kyle
Marchment was an AHLer a year away from UFA, and he got a better player under more team control. Even if Marchment turns into something down the road (highly unlikely), it doesn't change that it was a smart, minor transaction. It's hilarious that people are still talking about this a year and a half later.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ok but that's not the same as suggesting a young player who's making regular season and playoff impact with an actual NHL team is somehow worse than a guy who can't even crack an NHL roster and had to go play in Europe.

That should be obvious.

Hindsight.

At the time of the trade, Malgin had the superior track record, and nobody here thought otherwise. A few lamented losing the one prospect that had size, but he really didn't seem to have the upside he's shown since.

Even today, Malgin's AHL PPG is 0.93, NHL he has 60 points. Marchment was 0.55 PPG in the AHL, and has 11 NHL points. It's a bit early to say Malgin doesn't crack our roster, and far too premature to say Marchment's success over a few games is translatable. Hopefully they both go on to have good careers.

Personally, I would have liked to have kept Marchment, as he we could use his size, but I didn't think the trade was worth getting worked up over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad