Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Kurtis Gabriel to 1 year contract (750k)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can’t believe people watched Montreal push us around and bully us and watch half the bottom six float around and not want to add some sandpaper.

If they’re not going to score they may as well throw some hits or punch someone after the whistle

It's good to have someone to send Ben Chiarot a cease and desist letter whenever he tries his goon nonsense brand of defense.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Are you saying he's of the "gay" variety?
No, that wouldn’t matter at all. He’s a good guy, I know that. I just feel he’s going to be having a horde of super fans lighting up social media every time he’s a scratch. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong, he’s just not a good NHL player imo, can’t keep up with the pace of play consistently

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think what surprises me the most is that Gold Star has North American-born clients who don't have some kind of Russian roots.

I checked and he is 1 of 9 guys:

Kurtis Gabriel
Joey Keane (CAR prospect)
John Lethemon (ECHLer)
Liam Kirk (he is British but I am counting him; ARI prospect and former Peterborough Pete)
Brandon Reller (Spokane Chiefs depth guy)
Braeden Kressler (potential OA candidate in 2022 out of Flint)
Ryan Mast (2021 6th round pick)
Kale Kessy (former EDM prospect)
Paul Cotter (Vegas prospect)

Milstein has a total of 111 clients listed on his website, including Kucherov, Datsyuk, Vasilevsky, etc. Pretty much if you are Russian and play in the NHL, chances are Milstein is your client.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This guy has some Goodrow type vibes. Good depth signing.

Goodrow is actually a good player. Gabriel is an enforcer in a league where there are like 3 other enforcers remaining and brings literally no other skills to the table. He's a fringe AHLer, never mind any kind of viable NHLer.

Leafs are probably looking for their next Clune, who is getting up there in age. It seems like Dubas only likes him because he is a nice guy and a guy who can bring the same kind of vibe and element that Clune has brought to the Marlies. Keeping in mind that Clune is the Marlies' 16th forward and rarely gets any kind of quality minutes anymore.

Sabourin obviously did not work out. He filled the role but was nothing special, and I guess he did not bring the intangibles the Marlies wanted out of their enforcer. Maybe Gabriel can, but I doubt this prevents the Marlies from adding some better depth guys to the mix on AHL deals (possibly including both Elynuik and Brazeau).

Reactions: Burkeocet

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
T
I looked her up and apparently she has an OnlyFans page too... :popcorn:
They all have dat now sire. She's making more money than when she was still a goalie. 2019 back in then. She quit hockey cause of an injyry. Now she making mo money than some nhl players. A lil bit more than kurtis gabriel. Not much, but some. They rich as dirt mayne. Still rockin, what! ALL THE OTHER leafs players like matthews etc will be so jelious to him. She got the best thang in the nhl right beside him. Gabriel and Demaiter will do all the right things in toronto! We might be so much better as a team because of them winners!

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Are there people who genuinely think Gabriel has any shot of playing for the Leafs?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Are there people who genuinely think Gabriel has any shot of playing for the Leafs?

That's probably as far fetched as those that think Michael Bunting is being brought in to replacing Zach Hyman, while playing on the Leafs top line. :wg:

Kurtis "Killer Instinct" Gabriel has more NHL games to his name with 49 than Bunting with 26 does, so you never really know what some people are thinking, as you will be surprised every day. :)

Gabriel was even drafted higher 2013 round 3 #81 overall by Minnesota Wild than Bunting 2014 round 4 #117 overall by Phoenix Coyotes only 1 draft class later.

Bunting does take him on NHL points career with 11-3-14 points to 2-3-5 points with a +9 more advantage as they both enter this new season with the Leafs.

Teams that played in the final 4 of this years playoffs dressed players like Pat Maroon, Matt Martin and Ryan Reaves so maybe that is a reason the Leafs are bringing in a dance partner just in case. Myself personally I would have rather kept Mason Marchment for $800k and not dealt him for Denis Malgin as he seems like a player that has more hockey skills than Gabriel @ $750k and could dress more regularly. So I do understand where you're coming from when asking this question.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That's probably as far fetched as those that think Michael Bunting is replacing Zach Hyman at par on the Leafs top line. :wg:

Kurtis Gabriel has more NHL games to his name with 49 than Bunting with 26 does, so you never really know what some people are thinking, as you will be surprised every day. :)

Gabriel was even drafted higher 2013 round 3 #81 overall by Minnesota Wild than Bunting 2014 round 4 #117 overall by Phoenix Coyotes only 1 draft class later.
More ridiculous takes. Keep it up! :thumbu:

Post-injury Hyman was a sub-replacement level player, so yes....Bunting can easily replace or exceed that. Hyman was missing his jump, and his hands went back to stone. He was as much the reason the Leafs lost as his play killed the top line.

The Leafs dodged a major bullet by having him leave via UFA. And here's a concept that most should understand by now. You pay for anticipated current and future value, not past performance. And I love Zach.

But I already understand this post will go in one ear and out the other....

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I think he'll suit up for some games at some point. It appears as though that would be a dream come true for a "hometown" kid. Unless the team is worried about waiver eligibility with Brooks and/or Anderson (I'm more confident that the latter will make the team and waivers won't be a concern there), I think Gabriel and Amadio are in the mix for the spare forward spot(s) to start the season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just check his GF's page. Having a GF like that means Gabriel got high confidence in himself.
He is not going to score, but he knows what he needs to stick on a NHL team, which is play hard every shift-something that a few of our LEADERS don't do.
He might just be the sparkplug that Leafs need.

Reactions: Cobra777

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Could have used this guy to finish checks on Werenski when word was out he was hurting. None of our forwards played the body on him. Gabriel would have laid him out on the forecheck without hesitation and we're into round 2. These little things matter when it's playoffs.

Thornton was pretty useless against Habs. Waste of a roster spot. In hindsight would there have been any harm of a couple games of Gabriel to beat up Chiarot ? Would have made a huge difference for the top line. (Not play on it. Beating up chiarot = good for the top line)

Dubas gave Keefe an assassin type player here. Just give him his mission (clean of course but at the same time very painful for the other guy) and Gabriel will have no problem carrying it out.

Use him sparingly and wisely and he might have a positive impact.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
More ridiculous takes. Keep it up! :thumbu:

Post-injury Hyamn was a sub-replacement level player, so yes....Bunting can easily replace or exceed that. Hyman was missing his jump, and his hands went back to stone. He was as much the reason the Leafs lost as his play killed the top line.

The Leafs dodged a major bullet by having him leave via UFA. And here's a concept that most should understand by now. You pay for anticipated current and future value, not past performance. And I love Zach.

But I already understand this post will go in one ear and out the other....
Ya it’s really bad when the 2.5 million dollar players can’t elevate the 2 other 11 million dollar players on his line……shame on him

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
In a long season where Simmonds will probably get injured at some point, this guy can come in on a 4th line and provide some physical presence. That’s all this is. 10-15 games max. He’s worked on his skating so hopefully he won’t be a liability out there. I don’t mind the idea of him going in against the Hab defense and laying them down in regular season.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Just check his GF's page. Having a GF like that means Gabriel got high confidence in himself.
He is not going to score, but he knows what he needs to stick on a NHL team, which is play hard every shift-something that a few of our LEADERS don't do.
He might just be the sparkplug that Leafs need.
I finally google imaged his girlfriend.

My. Lord. In. Heaven.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I would play him from time to time depends on who you are playing against

Especially the runs the Josh Anderson took on Muzzin. That dude is utter reckless
Against maybe Washington, dress him

Other teams, just keep him on the side line. That's the thing about enforcers you don't have to play them every game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad