Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Goaltender Kasimir Kaskisuo

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Judging by the previous discussion, I hereby announce the notion that we refer to this player as 'He Who Destroys Glory and Burns Swamps', in all things and at all times.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Me likey...

A breakdown of his freshman and sophomore seasons courtesy of the UMD Bulldogs website:

2015-2016 (Sophomore) Was a member of the 2014-15 Preseason All-NCHC Team … pieced together the fourth longest shutout run (263:58 — a school record) in NCAA history) in late November and early December …. already has four shutouts this season (including a program-high three in a row between Nov. 20-Dec. 4), which is one whitewash shy of the team record held by both Alex Stalock (2008-09) and Brant Nicklin (1997-98) … has tended goal for all of his team’s NCHC games (36 thus far) since the start of the 2014-15 season — the only individual who can make that claim … currently ranks second in the NCHC in goals against average (1.85) and fourth in saves percentage (.923) and has appeared in the highest percentage of his team’s overall minutes (97.598) than all but four netminders in the entire country … has made 31 consecutive starts dating back to Feb. 13, 2014 when the Bulldogs hosted St. Cloud State … was selected the NCHC Goalie of the Week on Nov. 23.

2014-2015 (Freshman) Turned in one of the most prolific seasons ever by a first-year Bulldog netminder and backstopped UMD to within one game of the NCAA Frozen Four … nailed down a spot on the NCHC All-Rookie Team after ranking second among the nation’s freshmen goalies in victories (18), fourth in winning percentage (.557 off an 18-14-3 record), fifth in goals against average (2.30) and seventh in saves percentage (.917) … also shared the NCAA rookie lead for netminding starts and appearances (each 36) … his goals against average and saves percentage were both the third best single-season marks in program history … had one shutout (a 3-0 victory at Minnesota on Nov. 14 — UMD’s first blanking of the Gophers in Minneapolis since the 1972-73 season) and two assists to his 2014-15 credit … was voted UMD’s Most Valuable Player (Mike Seiler Award) for 2014-15 — just the third Bulldog freshmen to be so honored since that citation was first handed out in 1956-57 (center Keith “Huffer†Christiansen in 1963-64 and goaltender Isaac Reichmuth in 2002-03 were the two others) … held the distinction of being one of just two individuals to see exclusive crease time in all of his team’s 24 league outings last season (North Dakota’s Zane McIntyre joined him) … was chosen The Hockey Commissioners’ Association Rookie of the Month for November and both the NCHC Goalie of the Week and NCHC Rookie of the Week one time — the only individual to pull off that double-double … accompanied teammates Tony Cameranesi and Willie Raskob on the six-member 2015 NCAA Northeast Regional All-Tournament Team … made a “one for the ages†save against Miami’s Cody Murphy on Halloween night 2014 at AMSOIL Arena that generated nearly 600,000 views on YouTube.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016/03/28/mapleleafs-sign-goaltender-kasimir-kaskisuo/

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Well my first thought based on his first name was maybe he could use Led Zeppelin's Kashmir as his music? Duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh....

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I honestly don't know much about this guy. Good stats, seems like his team was low scoring when you look at his GAA, save % and win loss record.

Our scouts have found some diamonds in the rough in Soshnikov. I'll trust them on this.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I honestly don't know much about this guy. Good stats, seems like his team was low scoring when you look at his GAA, save % and win loss record.

Our scouts have found some diamonds in the rough in Soshnikov. I'll trust them on this.

Everything looks really good at first glance.., but I also notcied that he very rarely had to face shots higher than the high 20's..., per game.. Everyone knows that with the Marlies and Leafs, he will almost always be seeing way more...

I was hoping they would bring back MacIntyre for the Marlies.., but Chicago snapped him up recently..

Pholus

May 23, 2014
2015-2016 (Sophomore) Was a member of the 2014-15 Preseason All-NCHC Team … pieced together the fourth longest shutout run (263:58 — a school record) in NCAA history) in late November and early December …. already has four shutouts this season (including a program-high three in a row between Nov. 20-Dec. 4), which is one whitewash shy of the team record held by both Alex Stalock (2008-09) and Brant Nicklin (1997-98) … has tended goal for all of his team’s NCHC games (36 thus far) since the start of the 2014-15 season — the only individual who can make that claim … currently ranks second in the NCHC in goals against average (1.85) and fourth in saves percentage (.923) and has appeared in the highest percentage of his team’s overall minutes (97.598) than all but four netminders in the entire country … has made 31 consecutive starts dating back to Feb. 13, 2014 when the Bulldogs hosted St. Cloud State … was selected the NCHC Goalie of the Week on Nov. 23.

Oh look, he's almost as good as the Marlies current backup :sarcasm:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Everything looks really good at first glance.., but I also notcied that he very rarely had to face shots higher than the high 20's..., per game.. Everyone knows that with the Marlies and Leafs, he will almost always be seeing way more...

I was hoping they would bring back MacIntyre for the Marlies.., but Chicago snapped him up recently..

Right now, yeah. But we are building a team around a system that will limit shots against, so having a goaltender that doesn't need the work load is a positive.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

If he doesn't face higher quality of shots against then, an extra 5-10 per game can be fine. Heck, with our system we've managed to help Sparks out at the NHL level.

I most definitely would not bring back MacIntyre to the Marlies though. We need to devote the majority of our roster spots on the farm to development. That would be a step backwards if we brought him back.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Actually that's a very common misconception. Names ending in -mir are often but incorrectly thought to mean peace. The Wikipedia page for Vladimir has an explanation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_(name)

Kasimir likely derives from the Slavic root kaziti, meaning "to destroy":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir

... which is actually quite fitting, because nearly every Polish King who bore the name was very successful on the battlefield.

--

Happy to have the kid aboard but count me among those who have never heard of him. His numbers look impressive.

Huh neat. Everyday's a school day kids.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Is the Marlies the most likely spot for him next year?

I never heard of him but he's young and his numbers look pretty impressive.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Im hoping we sign them both, then I'd also approve if they drafted one. Finding an above average starting goaltender is hard, take the shotgun approach.

I'm on board with this. There are way too many question marks about our crease situation and it's been like this for far too long. If it's a free wallet signing - might as well play the odds with more prospects to work with and increase your chances of one doing well and sticking. The team won't go anywhere if they can't get consistency in the backend.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
A players personal life does not matter whether its their family or partners views and values. It does not have anything to do with their performance as a professional athlete.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Right now, yeah. But we are building a team around a system that will limit shots against, so having a goaltender that doesn't need the work load is a positive.

I like a goaltender who can handle any load.. Big or small.. Maybe Kas will turn into this..? Time and some NHL exposure would be good to see, right now.., while the games don't mean much..

If he doesn't face higher quality of shots against then, an extra 5-10 per game can be fine. Heck, with our system we've managed to help Sparks out at the NHL level.

I most definitely would not bring back MacIntyre to the Marlies though. We need to devote the majority of our roster spots on the farm to development. That would be a step backwards if we brought him back.

Well Drew came into his pirme late in life.. and most likely has another 8-9 good seasons left in him... and being cheap and a good mentor, he is a good iron to have on the back-burner.. (which is why he always gets picked up quickly.., since being with the Marlies.. The Hawks aren't stupid...)

But.., yes... I hope both of you are right.. and we don't see too many more of those 40-60 SA games,
like the recent past.. That's hard on any caliber of goalie..

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
It was a bit of a treasure hunt, to search out all these clips of him, but well worth it...!

I did intend for the song "Kashmir" to be the background track, but that didn't work out.., unfortunately...
(I saw someone also suggested this..., earlier in this thread..) :)

Some spectacular saves in here...and most Leafs fans will like his stats, below... Note the NINE shut-outs, in just 32 games, in 2013-14... and FIVE more, in the 2015-16 Bulldogs season...

Kasimir Kaskisuo
Goalie
Born Oct 2 1993 -- Vantaa, Finland
22 yrs. ago
Height 6.03 -- Weight 201

RECENT STATS:

2013-14 Minnesota Wilderness - NAHL
32 Games... 21 Wins... 6 Losses... 5 Ties... *9 S/O's.....
.944 SV % ...... 1.48 GAA.....
-------------------------------------------------------------
2014-15 University Of Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs - NCHC
36 Games... 18 Wins... 14 Losses... 3 Ties... 1 S/O.....
.917 SV % ...... 2.30 GAA.....
2015 PLAYOFFS
5 Games... .943 SV %..... 1.75 GAA.....
2015-16 University Of Minnesota-Duluth (UMD) Bulldogs - NCHC
39 Games... 19 Wins... 15 Losses... 5 Ties... *5 S/O's.....
.923 SV % ...... 1.92 GAA.....

Kas Is Here: Kasimir Kaskisuo 2012-2016 Goalie Highlights - TML

Last edited:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Kas Is Here: Kasimir Kaskisuo 2012-2016 Goalie Highlights - TML

That behind the back glove save I had to watch a few times. Love it.

Despite what a small minority says, height is important at the goalie position and I'm glad we're acquiring goalies with size AND skill.

:handclap:

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Fantastic compilation, thanks.

I'm a goalie myself, and I went from thinking "This kid has potential but is a bit too slow" in the first half of the video (most of which was older footage).
To thinking: damn, this kid might have something...at the end.

I think the main thing to take away from watching clips of this kid is how well he tracks the puck. His head is on a swivel and he has great anticipation. See when he comes cross crease and makes a couple big glove saves? Those weren't reactionary, he was tracking the players in the back door and tracking the puck at the same time.

That level of anticipating the play is sort of the 'X factor' in alot of NHL goalies.

Also, kid has the flexibility and size you need in the show.
We will see how he does with the Marlies.

A couple negatives is he needs to challenge more and plays too much of a straight up butterfly style. Things a goalie coach can work on.

SEER;116112773 [B said:
Kas Is Here: Kasimir Kaskisuo 2012-2016 Goalie Highlights - TML[/B]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad