Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Goaltender Kasimir Kaskisuo

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, he's joining the Toronto Marlies on an ATO for the rest of the season + playoffs

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Add another via free agency + draft two or three and we're back in business.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I guess we lost on Mantas Armalis. I think Armalis had more upside, but this guy is at least proven on North American ice.

We needed someone to push Bibeau. Now, most likely, we just keep the best out of him, Sparks and Bibeau and trade the other two when the time is right. I'm good with that until the goalie we draft for the future turns out.

As for what I've seen of Kasimir, I don't think he's spectacular. Probably not going to be any better than Sparks or Bibeau. However with NCAA goalies I guess you never know. Good stats and a big body at least.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I've been preaching this for months
The Leafs need to draft (or acquire) a bunch of European goalie prospects

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I guess we lost on Mantas Armalis. I think Armalis had more upside, but this guy is at least proven on North American ice.

We needed someone to push Bibeau. Now, most likely, we just keep the best out of him, Sparks and Bibeau and trade the other two when the time is right. I'm good with that until the goalie we draft for the future turns out.

As for what I've seen of Kasimir, I don't think he's spectacular. Probably not going to be any better than Sparks or Bibeau. However with NCAA goalies I guess you never know. Good stats and a big body at least.

Not necessarily. Leafs will likely go with Bernier and Sparks next year, which leaves only Bibeau as a capable goaltender with the Marlies. One of Armalis/Kaskisuo would be the 2nd Marlies goaltender and the other can start next season in the ECHL. Injuries will happen so it would be nice to have some depth.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Not necessarily. Leafs will likely go with Bernier and Sparks next year, which leaves only Bibeau as a capable goaltender with the Marlies. One of Armalis/Kaskisuo would be the 2nd Marlies goaltender and the other can start next season in the ECHL. Injuries will happen so it would be nice to have some depth.

Yikes, I hope not. Sparks isn't ready to play in the NHL imo. He still needs to work on his rebound control and tracking the puck. Let him spend another season with the Marlies and find some UFA to fill in for the Leafs.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Yikes, I hope not. Sparks isn't ready to play in the NHL imo. He still needs to work on his rebound control and tracking the puck. Let him spend another season with the Marlies and find some UFA to fill in for the Leafs.

I suppose it depends on the direction of the team next season. If the Leafs want to get measurably better they will sign/trade for a better goaltender, but if they want to sign a bunch of free agent plugs again just to trade them at the deadline I don't think they act on their goaltending situation just yet.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I like that his save % went from .917 to .923 and GAA from 2.30 to 1.92.. took decent numbers and made them great numbers. Good signing, maybe something down the road

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Cool signing. We still need more goalies in the system, but we've been down a Finnish goaltender for a while...

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Kasimir is Slavic (Polish - Kazimierz) name and it means peacemaker (not the gun).

Actually that's a very common misconception. Names ending in -mir are often but incorrectly thought to mean peace. The Wikipedia page for Vladimir has an explanation:
Folk etymology interprets the meaning as "person of the people" or "the one with peace on one side". This confusion is introduced by other meanings of the Slavic word "Mir" or "Myr" – peace, people/community, and the world.[2] There was no ambiguity prior to reforms of Russian orthography in 1918. The spelling of the two words was миръ (peace) and мiръ (the Universe),[3] and the name was spelled the third way, Владимѣръ,[2] of Gothic -mērs (great), meaning "Great in His Power"[2] (compare: Theodemir, Valamir). but Russian speakers understood and understand the meaning as "Peace Owner" or "World Ruler".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_(name)

Kasimir likely derives from the Slavic root kaziti, meaning "to destroy":
The name may mean "someone who destroys opponent's prestige/glory during battle", and is derived from the Slavic elements: kaziti "to destroy" and měr "prestige, fame".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir

... which is actually quite fitting, because nearly every Polish King who bore the name was very successful on the battlefield.

--

Happy to have the kid aboard but count me among those who have never heard of him. His numbers look impressive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad