Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Fraser Minten to ELC (3 years, $875k AAV) - Returned to Kamloops 2023-10-27

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Agreed but this was a very short sighted move by Treliving, essentially having to trade a good depth piece in Lafferty for a 4 game try out for a teenager.
You're that upset over losing a 4th liner? My gosh. I had no idea losing Lafferty would break this team.

Reactions: Ciao

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Agreed but this was a very short sighted move by Treliving, essentially having to trade a good depth piece in Lafferty for a 4 game try out for a teenager.

How was it short sighted? A trade was going to need to happen regardless we were over the cap. Whether Minten was on the roster or not Lafferty was getting traded.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Maybe one day he'll be a good 3C for the Leafs.

To my mind, that would be a great success.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
At least i have a good reason to attend Blazers games this winter.
See ya in blue n white next season Fraser

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
You're that upset over losing a 4th liner? My gosh. I had no idea losing Lafferty would break this team.
When organizationally you pay a 2nd rounder for 28 games and then throw it away then yes I have problem with that. At the TDL you’ll again be spending assets to shore up your depth. I personally liked Gregor, Kampf, Lafferty as a bottom six (small sample size) forechecking line.

Zero percent chance they were going into the season with a 20 man roster
I disagree

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
When organizationally you pay a 2nd rounder for 28 games and then throw it away then yes I have problem with that. At the TDL you’ll again be spending assets to shore up your depth. I personally liked Gregor, Kampf, Lafferty as a bottom six (small sample size) forechecking line.

I disagree

Thank God you’re not a GM!

The only move that cost us Lafferty was signing Reaves.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
All good kid.

Now go dominate the dub, make Team Canada juniors, and win gold.

We all kind of saw this one coming and if it makes a difference, there is also some cap relief there.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Thank God you’re not a GM!

The only move that cost us Lafferty was signing Reaves.
I’m sure you wouldn’t want Kelly McCrimmon as your GM either because he opted to do the same thing but when all you see is bad decisions and a losing franchise you get used to it. i get it.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I’m sure you wouldn’t want Kelly McCrimmon as your GM either because he opted to do the same thing but when all you see is bad decisions and a losing franchise you get used to it. i get it.

Everything is situational. Look at the Vegas DCore, any GM would be comfortable rolling the dice with those 6.

Now look at the Leafs d core. There is no way in hell anyone should be confident running a 20 man roster with that d core.

Not even comparable situations.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015

I disagree
It is a 2026 2nd that was traded by the previous GM. You realize that 2nd is worth less since it was traded for 3 drafts from now? That 2nd is equal to a 4th at the 2024 draft. Seems fair to me. I'd say it is a plus given they managed to recoup an asset.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Showed well in pre season but wasn't ready. Thats fine, do well in junior and be ready to fully grab a spot next season.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
It is a 2026 2nd that was traded by the previous GM. You realize that 2nd is worth less since it was traded for 3 drafts from now? That 2nd is equal to a 4th at the 2024 draft. Seems fair to me. I'd say it is a plus given they managed to recoup an asset.
2nd round picks are worthless ? Tell that to Minten & Knies
2nd round picks are worth 2nd round picks regardless of the draft, it depends who you draft and how they develop

Reactions: arso40

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
2nd round picks are worth 2nd round picks regardless of the draft, it depends who you draft and how they develop

If a team offered you their 2nds from 2030-2035 in exchange for your 2024-2028 2nds you’d take it? You get 5 picks for 4, you must be winning that deal right?

Knies and Minten took 2-3 years to look like semi-viable middle-6 options (and they look like development home runs), by the time a 2026 2nd round pick hits the same growth curve in a best case scenario, he’d be NHL ready just in time for Rielly’s retirement ceremony and Matthews/Marner giving it one last shot as 35 year olds.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I said they are worth less. Not worthless. Not sure how you misread that.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
If a team offered you their 2nds from 2030-2035 in exchange for your 2024-2028 2nds you’d take it? You get 5 picks for 4, you must be winning that deal right?

Knies and Minten took 2-3 years to look like semi-viable middle-6 options (and they look like development home runs), by the time a 2026 2nd round pick hits the same growth curve in a best case scenario, he’d be NHL ready just in time for Rielly’s retirement ceremony and Matthews/Marner giving it one last shot as 35 year olds.
hell yeah, discount rates, baby

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Lafferty was beaten out by Gregor.

How was it short sighted? A trade was going to need to happen regardless we were over the cap. Whether Minten was on the roster or not Lafferty was getting traded.
Either that or waved.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Lafferty was part of a larger trade that people are breaking down for themselves and claiming that their estimation of a second round pick is factual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad