Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Fraser Minten to ELC (3 years, $875k AAV) - Returned to Kamloops 2023-10-27

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I dont think they send him back until he gets his 9 games in imo.

He definitely has the right mindset!

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I can see the Leafs wanting Minten to get a taste of life on the road in the NHL and then sending him down.

Wouldn't it be an advantage to save some games on his 9 game in case of an emergency down the stretch?
Also thinking he would be a better player after the WJC experience.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I can see the Leafs wanting Minten to get a taste of life on the road in the NHL and then sending him down.

Wouldn't it be an advantage to save some games on his 9 game in case of an emergency down the stretch?
Also thinking he would be a better player after the WJC experience.
right now kamph and holmberg are not exactly making it easy to send minten back .what sign does ut send a youngster when these guys are playing ahead of while producing nothing more?

right now kamph and holmberg are not exactly making it easy to send minten back .what sign does ut send a youngster when these guys are playing ahead of while producing nothing more?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I doubt this kid would really be affected by being sent down… we all expected it. Even if the bottom 6 Cs aren’t producing - would be different if he forced them to keep him in.

Part of me expected management to have a tough decision at gm9 (had he kept up the preseason play). But seems like a simple one to me, send em down - with a nice experience, motivation to dominate Jr. and leg up on next yrs camp.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
That will be a good move for Minten. He got some great experience, and hopefully he has a great season, and works on his 5v5 game.
Agreed but this was a very short sighted move by Treliving, essentially having to trade a good depth piece in Lafferty for a 4 game try out for a teenager.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Although it isn't typically my preference to award a roster spot based entirely on the preseason, I still have to commend new management for giving meaning to those games in this instance. Having two rookies as linemates is likely to compound any learning curve issues as well. I'm sure Minten will be better for this experience once he returns to the team for good.

Last edited:

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Do great in the WHL and then come back for next year after some speed and strength development. He has a good future.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Agreed but this was a very short sighted move by Treliving, essentially having to trade a good depth piece in Lafferty for a 4 game try out for a teenager.
Lafferty wasn't moved to fit in Minten. He was moved due to cap space issues. We just didn't have the cap space for his $1.15, so he was a cap casualty. Even subtracting Minten, there wasn't the cap space for him.

You could make the argument, signing Reaves for what we did meant we had to move Lafferty, which I'd agree would be egregious.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Minten was good enough for exhibition season against minor league rosters but is not ready for full time NHL work.

Right call to send him back or it will stagnate his offensive potential in the future,

As an future NHL he looks like a 3rd line checking center, but as a WHLer he gets top minutes playing in the top 6 and PP role to develop those offensive skills more.

Good chance we see him at the WJC this year with Team Canada.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
No harm in letting him get some more Whl time he’s going to be great soon.
Yeah for sure, I really believed he was going to hit the 9 games mark.

There are a couple of things that could have possibly factored in to this decision.

Kamloops is 1-9-2 and really needs him. He was going to go down anyway so they put him on an airliner with one last paycheque and told him to work on his face-offs and put on some more muscle.

Reactions: Cecithepylon

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Lafferty wasn't moved to fit in Minten. He was moved due to cap space issues. We just didn't have the cap space for his $1.15, so he was a cap casualty. Even subtracting Minten, there wasn't the cap space for him.

You could make the argument, signing Reaves for what we did meant we had to move Lafferty, which I'd agree would be egregious.
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 4.04.29 PM.png

Reactions: LeafalCrusader

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Good bye Minton. You were a good trooper. With all due respect, our 3rd line looks better already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad